Drivercrap or truth

I don’t normally listen to RDC bs, or drivercrap in general, but something keeps coming up and I was wondering if it was actually true.
Fridges on passenger seats are supposedly being told about on roadside checks, and it is being proposed to put a stop to it for the predictable H&S reasons before the end of the year.

I just took it as usual drivercrap at first, but a mate of mine who works for a well known firm says his firm is about to ban it after a lad was injured by his fridge after ditching his motor.
They are now speccing fitted fridges after 16 plates, and it was mentioned that it is about to become an offence.
Anybody know… is it truth or cack ?

Makes no odds to me even though my lot are too tight arsed to spec fridges, mine is safely stowed under the bunk of my Actros, where one of the drawers used to be.

Hope not as it’s far safer on passengers seat [emoji575] than bunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think FORS and TFL will ban them or make the truck have a sign on the back of truck, or may be a special box on side of truck .I know they will be on to it if they can make a quick buck

I heard, as long as you use two crossed ratchet straps, you’ll be ok…

:laughing:

If the fridge is simply perched on the passenger seat, bunk etc it is already an offence (Reg 100 Construction & Use Regs 1986).

Probably company policy, just to cover their own backside.
A fridge does a lot of damage if it hits you, or sails through the front windscreen in case of an emergency stop.
Seen a few coming through the windscreen after the workshop tipped the cab without checking if the cab was empty.
Use to fix them in front of the passenger seat in the FH, before I got a drawer fridge.
Fixed them in place with a small strap.
I like how the Scandinavian driver have them on the site of the chassis.

Regarding roadside I think it’s RDC BS, what would be next, you have your bedding secured, a lid on your coffee cup, or a locker for your high viz.

A while back a mate had another truck come flying out a layby and crashed into him. His fridge which was on the top bunk flew over the netting and gave him a nasty cut on his head, needed a coupla stitches. So its a real problem if not adequately secured. Ive no idea about any new laws. Some say I`ve no idea about owt at all, for that matter.

Don’t know about fridges but I had a 30 pack of diet coke come flying off the top bunk and batter right off the dash board on the passenger side. what a bloody mess it made lol.

Ps cool boxes smashing windscreens is exactly what tight arse companies deserve. Spec a fitted fridge for your driver who’s away all week and it won’t happen. The 30 pack might still happen though lol

You only store tinned food in the scania top locker over the driver once, after hitting an unseen speed bump my tinned food now lives in one of the side lockers :blush:
If a wagon has a bunk then it should be specified with a fridge/freezer.

Could be true, but seems to have all the hallmarks of a Drivers tale.

Such as new law coming out and drivers being told at roadside checks.
Sounds a bit like the old one about drivers must have a high cab if they are spending more than x amounts of night out a week, due to some new law about workspace requirements doing the rounds a few years ago.

Are we talking proper fridges or coolboxes? My coolbox was only ever used for cooling my Pepsi Max cans.

Don’t know but I don’t like loose stuff in the cab ,when I had crash although didn’t tip over it made me think ,so now I’ve chained my tool box down in the passenger floor .

muckles:

Such as new law coming out and drivers being told at roadside checks.
Sounds a bit like the old one about drivers must have a high cab if they are spending more than x amounts of night out a week, due to some new law about workspace requirements doing the rounds a few years ago.

muckles:

No Hallmarks of a drivers tale to me, but in any case commonsense tells me thats its probably dangerous to be in a predicament where one can fly around your cab. But more prudently i take notice of what Roymundo says (and he’s well qualified to tell us) : If the fridge is simply perched on the passenger seat, bunk etc it is already an offence (Reg 100 Construction & Use Regs 1986). I’ll go with that !!

I made this for my old 4 series, the bunged was temporarily used while fitting, I used a narrow ratchet strap.

It worked well, also had my microwave up there, both didn’t move at all.

Drift:
I made this for my old 4 series, the bunged was temporarily used while fitting, I used a narrow ratchet strap.

It worked well, also had my microwave up there, both didn’t move at all.

Don’t be coming on here posting well thought out things that drivers can do to make their life better, safer and easier. We need cutting edge stuff where the boss is always to blame.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fridges take up too much interior space, mines installed next to the o/s smaller 400 litre tank, its inside a purpose made locker with a rubber seal on the outer door to keep out any dirt. Not sure if it was a Volvo option when new or not but it does work very well and has a 40 litre capacity.

Mine does the driving