Driver training towards cpc

ROG:
Periodic DCPC can count for C or CE training under certain conditions

The training provider must have a 7 hour driver training course approved for DCPC
That 7 hour course can be a single day or done over two days of 3.5 hours - supposed to be within 24 hours but that rule is usually relaxed if done over two consecutive days

The driver must already have a LGV C1 or C on their licence and have either DCPC aquired/grandfather rights or have passed initial DCPC module 4

Test hours will not count so on a 5 day course of 2 to 1 then 28 hours DCPC is possible or 14 hours DCPC for 4 half days of 1 to 1
On a 2 to 1 the trainee not driving is deemed to still be learning

I hope that helps

Found this post from March 2012 and got me thinking. Could someone who has aquired/grandfather rights going staight to CE over 10 days training receive all 35 hours DCPC?

I dont see why not with the exception of test day but I think PSTT will be able to give a definitive answer

ROG:
I dont see why not with the exception of test day but I think PSTT will be able to give a definitive answer

Its amazing what can be found in old threads. Thanks ROG

Stuart1:

ROG:

The training provider must have a 7 hour driver training course approved for DCPC
That 7 hour course can be a single day or done over two days of 3.5 hours - supposed to be within 24 hours but that rule is usually relaxed if done over two consecutive days

The driver must already have a LGV C1 or C on their licence and have either DCPC aquired/grandfather rights or have passed initial DCPC module 4

Test hours will not count so on a 5 day course of 2 to 1 then 28 hours DCPC is possible or 14 hours DCPC for 4 half days of 1 to 1

I hope that helps

Found this post from March 2012 and got me thinking. Could someone who has aquired/grandfather rights going staight to CE over 10 days training receive all 35 hours DCPC?

I had grandfather rights and I’m fairly sure my CE training was what secured my CPC card

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:

Stuart1:

ROG:

I hope that helps

I had grandfather rights and I’m fairly sure my CE training was what secured my CPC card

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Definitely worth while asking training companies about, could save me time and money.

So today I passed my theory test and went to see training company, was told driver training wouldn’t count toward cpc. Can’t take the easy option now so it’s mod 4 or 35hrs. Booked in for training end of april. Seems so far away but I’m sure it’ll fly in. Got an assessment drive in 10 days so looking forward to that.

It seems trainers need to be properly set up for it. I know it was possible before as I managed to use two days of my C+E training to count towards the two days I needed at the time. I just paid administration and upload fees but the main thing was saving the time having to sit in a classroom.

However there was a change made to CPC ongoing training where the facility to repeat modules was taken away (if I remember correctly). This may mean the modules would need to be different, meaning the school would need to have the requisite number of distinct modules to put through for you.

I believe PSTT do it for C+E, as can any other training school if they create the correct application, but it’s not likely many schools would do it for Cat C, there’s too few candidates going for C these days with acquired rights from their pre-1997 licence to make the time, application and fees (£252 per year) worthwhile. Easier to offer other enticements, like a discounted rate on ADR for example.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer to this please?:

I passed my car test in Dec 1990.

I’m doing C, then I will do C+E afterwards. I assumed I would be doing all the modules. My module 1 (theory and hazard awareness) and 2 (case studies) is on Tuesday. Or so I thought. I finally got the official confirmation about the time and location of my Mod 1 and 2 from my training provider yesterday and immediately questioned why Mod 2 wasn’t on there.
They told me that because I passed before 1997, I will not do Mods 2 & 4, and instead I must do periodic CPC - a 5 day course.

According to their own website it says that pre 1997 passes can choose and post 1997 must do initial. Why would I do a 5 day course when I can do Mods 2 and 4?

What is my route to obtaining my CPC card please?

Why would you choose to do two pass or fail exams rather than five attendance/participation courses?

Plus the periodic DCPC should (if you choose a good provider) teach you more than the Mod 2 and Mod 4. If you’re anywhere near the north east I’d recommend (via PM) the place where a close friend of mine works.

Why would you choose to do two pass or fail exams rather than five attendance/participation courses?

I don’t know! The time it takes? I just want to know what route I should take. Is the training provider right, must I do periodic? Fine if I must. If have a choice it would have been nice to have known that on their first interaction with me. :unamused:

I’m in the SW. NE not an option, thank you though.

driveress:

I don’t know! The time it takes? I just want to know what route I should take. Is the training provider right, must I do periodic? Fine if I must. If have a choice it would have been nice to have known that on their first interaction with me. :unamused:

No, the training provider is not right. You are able to choose to do Mod 2&4. They will be more difficult to book because of your C1/35hrs entitlement, but it should not be beyond your training provider to arrange.
Mod 2/4 are generally more expensive than the 35hrs. Have you signed up to an all-inclusive package that includes CPC?
If your time is precious, I would suggest that I learnt very little from my 35 hrs - except boredom and unamusing anecdotes :unamused: An extra person in a CPC class (especially online) would cost a training provider almost nothing compared with 1:1 attention required for Mods 2&4 hence your training provider steering you that route possibly.

stu675:

driveress:

No, the training provider is not right. You are able to choose to do Mod 2&4. They will be more difficult to book because of your C1/35hrs entitlement, but it should not be beyond your training provider to arrange.
Mod 2/4 are generally more expensive than the 35hrs. Have you signed up to an all-inclusive package that includes CPC?
If your time is precious, I would suggest that I learnt very little from my 35 hrs - except boredom and unamusing anecdotes :unamused: An extra person in a CPC class (especially online) would cost a training provider almost nothing compared with 1:1 attention required for Mods 2&4 hence your training provider steering you that route possibly.

I would agree with you, i decided to go mod 2 and 4 rather than 35hrs of “boredom”. The training company booked my mod 2 so I didn’t need to phone dvla.

Thanks Stu675 and stuart1. I will hopefully get it sorted next week.