Driver training course query

I’m looking into driver training courses and costs, and have found that L&T in Pontefract - who are on the recommended training provider list - do some pretty decent “all in” course deals.

For a four-day course (4 hrs per day) in each of Cat C and C+E, including VAT and test fees, it’s £2015. If I fail either test, a retest would be £325 inc VAT, test fee and a two-hour lesson

They also do another course which includes the Cat C and C+E training as above, plus a week-long ADR course and two-day HIAB course which would be great to have and also mean I get a full 35 hours periodical DCPC. The cost of this is £2885.

My question is, would it be more cost effective to book the second package - paying the extra £870 - to get the ADR/HIAB training, and also complete DCPC? Or would I be able to book those courses separately for less elsewhere? L&T charge £58.75 for one day of CPC training, which works out at £411.25 for the seven days. How much roughly would I be looking to pay for ADR and HIAB courses?

Thanks

Looks about right but as you will know & have read before you part with any money ( but sure you will being a yorkshire man :wink: ) go & visit them to see if you like also poss have an assessment drive with them

Elment training are also not far from you as with Tockworth training maybe have a look at those as well

That seems a good price for dcpc tbh

Yeah, will definitely pay them a visit before committing to anything. I figured that the ADR and HIAB would be valuable things to have under my belt, and if getting them means I also tick off the DCPC requirements that’s surely a bonus

My advice is don’t run before you can walk. Concentrate getting you c licence first. After passing your c you can then more or less get straight on with the CE licence.dont pay for both in one payment.

Google my user name as I’m not far away from L&T.

What is the job market like for ADR and HIAB drivers in your area?

elmet training:
My advice is don’t run before you can walk. Concentrate getting you c licence first. After passing your c you can then more or less get straight on with the CE licence.dont pay for both in one payment.

Google my user name as I’m not far away from L&T.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at your site. PM me some details of your courses and prices if you can please?

I see where you’re coming from, but I didn’t really think it would matter paying in a lump sum as the overall aim is to get C+E anyway

ROG:
What is the job market like for ADR and HIAB drivers in your area?

There quite a few builders merchants and whatnot, and also places that do block work, mobile buildings, cabins etc, so think that HIAB may come in handy. Haven’t looked into the jobs market in great detail, but figured that having the qualification would be better than not having it and a more useful way of completing DCPC than some other options

I agree that doubling up on dcpc and another qual is a good idea

Always chech that any course is dcpc approved
HIAB = 14 hrs … usually
tacho rules etc = 7 hrs = good idea for a newbie
forklift = 14 hrs - not sure on that one

can your c=e training not count towards your cpc?? or is that only if you’ve got c1 or pass c before 2009■■ only reason i ask is i done my c=e in summer and got 28 hours towards cpc but i passed my c before 2009 but the fella who was doing training with me had done c a month before then c=e and got full cpc, again he probs had c1 me thinks

I will ask these sorts of questions when I go see them, find out exactly what does and doesn’t count towards DCPC and have a chat with them about what would work best for my needs. I agree that a day on tacho hours would be useful for a newbie, as it’s something that I’m sure will cause me grief! I already have C1 entitlement as I passed car test in 1992, so don’t need to do modules 2 and 4 of the initial CPC.

kevchalluk:
I already have C1 entitlement as I passed car test in 1992, so don’t need to do modules 2 and 4 of the initial CPC.

am sure the fella that i did c-e with me was in same boat, when doing his c it was 4 full days training and test on fifth this gave him 28 hours of cpc then the next month he did c-e and one days training of that gave him full cpc, he did have to pay upload fee which was 20 quid me thinks its well worth asking and trying to save your self some pennys :laughing:

Cheers mate, will look into that

smallsie:
can your c=e training not count towards your cpc?? or is that only if you’ve got c1 or pass c before 2009■■ only reason i ask is i done my c=e in summer and got 28 hours towards cpc but i passed my c before 2009 but the fella who was doing training with me had done c a month before then c=e and got full cpc, again he probs had c1 me thinks

If got C1 then C & CE can count for dcpc
If got C the CE can count for dcpc
For it to count the provider must have the course dcpc approved - not that many have so CHECK FIRST

ADD - the test cannot count for dcpc - 2 to 1 all day will count for 7 hours per day - 1 to 1 half day will count for 3.5 hours per day