Driver stopped way over legal limit

According to a tweet sent out by Warwickshire Police an LGV driver was stopped in the early hours of this morning after being reported “all over the road” by members of the public, he then apparently blew 172 (legal limit is 35) the vehicle has been disguised but it’s quite clearly a PW Gates from Welwyn Garden City trailer.

Source twitter.com/OPUWarks/status/904866996185157632

172 :open_mouth: , I wouldn’t be able to find the keys at that point ( I’m a lightweight these days)

how much would you have to have on board to blow that ?
i’m thinking 2.5 pints for 35mg, so to blow 172 - 12 pints ? it be a fair skinfull

Since the M1 tragedy, every single event where a driver of any commercial vehicle from a Transit pick up to a 44 tonner is over the limit, from being slightly over, to the amount this ■■■■ whit was, is going to be blown out of all proportion by the media.

So then it becomes perceived by every member of the public, that all HGV drivers are all ■■■■ heads in epidemic proportions.
As if public perception aint bad enough towards us because of the d/heads in trucks, now they see us as ■■■■■■ up d/heads in trucks. :unamused:

I’m not going to lie, if I ever drank 12 pints in one sitting I wouldn’t be in a truck, I’d more likely be in a coma.

robroy:
Since the M1 tragedy, every single event where a driver of any commercial vehicle from a Transit pick up to a 44 tonner is over the limit, from being slightly over, to the amount this [zb] whit was, is going to be blown out of all proportion by the media.

Tbf it’d be difficult not to blow this particular case out of proportion, it’s [zb]ing scary that’s what it is.

172!?..

That in itself is newsworthy regardless of their profession.

172 :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: Remember being shown this video on my cpc,Just beggars belief, open can of tennant super half drunk in centre console… :imp: :imp: and 10 can still to go…

youtube.com/watch?v=VcNduODA9R0

and his response when blowing 92…I DON’T BELIVE IT :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Reef:
I’m not going to lie, if I ever drank 12 pints in one sitting I wouldn’t be in a truck, I’d more likely be in a coma.

robroy:
Since the M1 tragedy, every single event where a driver of any commercial vehicle from a Transit pick up to a 44 tonner is over the limit, from being slightly over, to the amount this [zb] whit was, is going to be blown out of all proportion by the media.

Tbf it’d be difficult not to blow this particular case out of proportion, it’s [zb]ing scary that’s what it is.

Obviously, that goes without saying, but do you not see what I’m getting at here.
Driver has a few pints over the weekend (not condoning here btw just illustrating a point :bulb: ) Thinks he’s fine Mon am, gets pulled, blows into bag and is 2 points over or even borderline.

Headline next morning in Daily Mail …
‘‘YET ANOTHER KILLER JUGGERNAUT DRIVER FOUND PARALYTIC AT WHEEL’’
The public believe all this crap.

robroy:
but do you not see what I’m getting at here.

Yeah of course I do, I never said I didn’t nor did I disagree with you.

Look at Kirsty Gallagher she got done blowing 106 which is 3 times the limit the next day so she must have had a skinful the previous night.

bald bloke:
Look at Kirsty Gallagher she got done blowing 106 which is 3 times the limit the next day so she must have had a skinful the previous night.

TBH blowing 106 the next day I’d be inclined to think of an alcoholic who’d built up to a high level maintained by regular top ups.

That’s a bloody high reading for a next day collar.

bald bloke:

That’s the standard go to defense of anyone who’s been caught. It’s better than admitting to sinking a few then jumping in the motor.

There are idiots in every profession - even the Feds get busted on occasion.

Without decrying the seriousness of this incident, and thank goodness nobody was killed, it is funny that when one of our mad brother truckers get caught over the limit, he is considered an insult to a valiant profession, whereas, for the rest of the time our intrepid band are considered unskilled labourers, worthy of barely more than a minimum wage and appalling basic welfare facilities. Could there be a connection, I wonder? Probably not.

google.co.uk/amp/www.indepe … html%3famp

I can’t see how you could have a reading of 172 without being an alcoholic, that level would kill your average bloke - I would be asking questions of his manager of how he didn’t suspect something. About time those a little higher up the trough started to take more responsibility.

Bluey Circles:
I can’t see how you could have a reading of 172 without being an alcoholic, that level would kill your average bloke - I would be asking questions of his manager of how he didn’t suspect something. About time those a little higher up the trough started to take more responsibility.

because you never hear of companies doing random drugs and alcohol tests

Bluey Circles:

Christ mate don’t suggest that on here…

There was a thread on here recently about drink/drug testing at work, and the common consensus was it was against the grain, and a personal slur, to do this.

I have drink tested drivers, and I hate doing it.

I genuinely believe we will see more widespread testing soon, even down to mandatory testing at some delivery points…

I am not keen on that.

Someone commented on the original twitter post that, as an industry, more needs to be done. What can be done? Breath tests before getting keys? There was a post on here a few months ago about random drug and alcohol tests following minor accidents on customers sites while doing deliveries. If I recall rightly, there was a large number of people coming out and stating that they wouldn’t let the site staff test them.

Don’t get me wrong, I am vehemently against drink or drug driving but I can’t see what can be done. If as has been suggested, that to blow 172 would imply someone with a drink problem, then would they show any external signs if they have built up a high level of tolerance to drink? Could it be spotted by someone in the drivers depot?

How many drivers on here know of other drivers in their fleet that have more than a couple of drinks every night then get up at four am to start driving?

As drivers, we first and foremost must take responsibility for our actions and IMO, that also means thinking about the possible consequences of having five or six pints then driving the next day.

Bluey Circles:
how much would you have to have on board to blow that?
i’m thinking 2.5 pints for 35mg, so to blow 172 - 12 pints? it be a fair skinfull

Dunno i have had a few lucky escapes (driving own car) after drinking more than 2-3 pints Once when i was in my 20’s used to go out of town to various pubs & night clubs,i was steaming, got bagged and the crystals didn’t change , the plod knew i was over but was unable to arrest me
And several years later got stopped in my own town again i had drunk 5-6 pints maybe more, the electronic breath tester gave an amber to say it had detected alcohol on my breath, which wasn’t sufficient cause to arrest me of suspicion of drink driving, metabolism plays a big part in what gets detected and what doesn’t ,
Although i had had a few, my driving wasn’t erratic or unsafe ( i wasn’t swerving from left to right) my vision was fine and speech not slurred I have been a lot more danger driving when tired whilst at the wheel of a 44t artic

Darkside:

Bluey Circles:

Christ mate don’t suggest that on here…

There was a thread on here recently about drink/drug testing at work, and the common consensus was it was against the grain, and a personal slur, to do this.

I have drink tested drivers, and I hate doing it.

I genuinely believe we will see more widespread testing soon, even down to mandatory testing at some delivery points…

I am not keen on that.

Yes you are right mandatory testing will become standard practice, just another hurdle passed on the race to the bottom, whoosh there we go.

Peanuts paid expected results recruited job dumbed down to accommodate…aha if we dumb it down even further we can attract more and cheaper people, did it never once occur to these highly paid suits that if the job is made suitable for dummies then there might be a proportion of dummies attracted?
Simultaneously by dumbing down the job, those who take a pride in their work and do their best become demoralised because they find the skilled job they once took a pride in doing well dumbed down to the level of the biggest idiot the company can recruit.

Well done transport industry, have a banana

tommy t:

Bluey Circles:
how much would you have to have on board to blow that?
i’m thinking 2.5 pints for 35mg, so to blow 172 - 12 pints? it be a fair skinfull

Dunno i have had a few lucky escapes (driving own car) after drinking more than 2-3 pints Once when i was in my 20’s used to go out of town to various pubs & night clubs,i was steaming, got bagged and the crystals didn’t change , the plod knew i was over but was unable to arrest me
And several years later got stopped in my own town again i had drunk 5-6 pints maybe more, the electronic breath tester gave an amber to say it had detected alcohol on my breath, which wasn’t sufficient cause to arrest me of suspicion of drink driving, metabolism plays a big part in what gets detected and what doesn’t ,
Although i had had a few, my driving wasn’t erratic or unsafe ( i wasn’t swerving from left to right) my vision was fine and speech not slurred I have been a lot more danger driving when tired whilst at the wheel of a 44t artic

I’m genuinely embarrassed for you. Imagine posting on here to tell everyone you were a regularly drink driver and you got away with it like it’s a badge of honour. Then to continue to try justify it by saying your driving wasn’t erratic. You’re a ■■■■■