Driver starts petition against A-road truck speed limit

Driver starts petition against A-road truck speed limit

commercialmotor.com/latest-n … peed-limit

Only 99,857 to go! :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Most seem to treat is as a guideline rather than a rule anyway, in the car I quite often follow trucks that are clearly on the limiter.

NTSA.

Its never going to change so we mite aswell talk about something else.

Interestingly I was talking with a chap from vosa down at harwich the other week about this, he agrees and suggested police forces in general are starting to turn a blind eye to people doing up to 50 for the greater sake of safety vs frustration factor.

I doubt we will ever see it happen, makes too much sense, common sense in this country is not on the agenda these days.

Phantom Mark:
I doubt we will ever see it happen, makes too much sense, common sense in this country is not on the agenda these days.

Although i dont stick to 40 as a whole i can see why it hasnt been changed. As a crude way of putting it i dont think most drivers can be trusted to exercise common sense, if the limit was raised, i believe alot of drivers would still aim for 50 even if it wasnt safe, ie wet, dark, twisty road, heavy etc. I should think alot of the reason buses are aloud to run at higher speed limits is because if they couldnt the public would consider them as being slow and not worthwhile using. Im probably wrong, but maybe not to far off.

The only time I have heard of 50-56 mph trucks getting done on single track 40 roads is when the speed camera gets them… Of course, that would require the speed limit being 40 or 50 for cars as well, rather than the “national speed limit” single track A roads which I guess this is more about.

What I’m saying is, I’ve never seen a truck pulled up by VOSA or plod on a single track road…

Maybe so, but you never risk it eh, the boss’s son at a company I used to work for was nailed for 52mph in the small hours one morning tho, so it must happen.

There are 2 types of single carriageway A roads. Some are winding and narrow, then there are some like the a75 which have a lane which is wider than 2 trucks and are straight as a ruler… 40 is ok for the winding and bending A roads, 50 is very adequate for the wider and straighter roads.

I personally don’t want the limit raised ,I use aRoads all day everyday, if the speed limit was raised I would be expected to do itall the time & tacho would be looked at and questions asked as to why im doing 40 when I can do 50 ! …so i say leave it , if you want to go faster drive a coach …

Kerbdog:
There are 2 types of single carriageway A roads. Some are winding and narrow, then there are some like the a75 which have a lane which is wider than 2 trucks and are straight as a ruler… 40 is ok for the winding and bending A roads, 50 is very adequate for the wider and straighter roads.

I just cant see why the goverment would look at changing it, even if it was only on some sc’s, i mean who’s going to benefit and by what degree?

I do 45, i’ll tell you why i do 45 because i drive an automatic daf. And when you drive an automatic daf on a single carriageway road at 40mph it changes gear roughly one billion times 8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7 so on and so forth!

#dafproblems #lorrydriverissues

merc0447:
I do 45, i’ll tell you why i do 45 because i drive an automatic daf. And when you drive an automatic daf on a single carriageway road at 40mph it changes gear roughly one billion times 8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7,8,7 so on and so forth!

Same goes for Ivecos

Things must have slackened off in the past ten years then as I was pulled for speeding twice in a month. First time I was stopped by a Police dog handler on the A515 at Newhaven because I was doing around 46 mph on a single carriageway, he gave me some bull about trucks careering recklessly around the country and then let me go saying that he was on his way to a break-in at a house and hadn’t time to book me! :confused:
The second time was the day after I had my redundancy notice so I was a little pi**ed off, again on the A515 but near Yoxall this time. He followed me in a line of traffic for about half a mile then passed me and pulled me over on a blind bend, got in the cab and checked tacho etc, and I told him that it was a daft place to stop a truck as traffic was struggling to get around me. I told him that in a month I would be jobless so again I got a caution and he even wished me good luck in the future which was decent of him I guess! :astonished: I think that anything below 50 you stand a chance of getting away with it, but 50+ is perhaps risking it a little?

Pete.

MADBAZ:

merc0447:

Same goes for Ivecos

And merc axor auto’s, must be the same idiot programming these auto box softwares ■■

Vehicle technology has come a long way since the limit was set but the biggest problem is still the nut holding the wheel, you would still get some plank wanting to overtake on a blind bend across a junction if you could legally and physically drive at 75mph.

As for enforcement, try the A9, Vosa and assorted police + camera vans again yesterday, last van I saw was still working after 8pm.

A few things will happen if the speed limit is increased to 50 on a roads , workloads will increase because office numptys will think you can go faster everywhere & do more in the same time.

eventualy people will get fed up sitting behind us at 50 & will attempt to overtake , you will always get the idiot a few cars back who will risk everything to pass you & a few cars , if there was a collision to occur ( remember there is no such thing as a road traffic accident anymore, so somebody is to blame ) if a serious collision was to happen as a result of a car driver trying to overtake you at 50 do you think the police will say your not at fault as you maintained your speed limit or, do you think they would see it as a contributing factor to a possibly avoidable accident, & as a professional hgv driver you should of been aware of the situation & taken evasive action to avoid it , I.E. slowed down as its a limit not a Target !

Be careful what you wish for as it may back fire , as someday who spends all my driving time on rural a,b,c & minor roads in west Wales I won’t be looking for an increase , if I see somebody dangerously trying to overtake I slow down & let them …