Driver sleeping in a live lane on the M1

No, not the Polish bloke convicted of Death by Dangerous Driving the other day.

This afternoon I was unlucky enough to get caught up in the slow/stationary queues on the M1 Northbound around J10/11. It was very slow, stop/start from J9, and we eventually came to a full stop just after J11 for 15 minutes or so. An ambulance went up the hard shoulder while I was there, so I knew it was due to a collision of some sort. Whatever the ins and outs, the traffic started moving again and off we all went. Except for those in Lane 2, who found themselves stuck behind a Gist artic, who appeared to be giving it zeds in the cab…

Done it myself…

Double manned job to Scotland from Yorkshire. On the way back we got stuck in a jam on the M74, both myself in the passenger seat and the driver nodded off.

We were woken by another wagon blowing his horn and laughing his head off at the two sleeping beauties.

Back in the early 2000’s I was in lane 2 on the M20 heading into folkstone for the train when we sat for hours as the seas were rough and the boats weren’t sailing. Anyway I nodded off after a few hours and the next thing I knew I was being woken up by the siren of a police car and when I looked around me, there was no one to be seen, just me in the middle lane on me todd. Lol

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

not only truck drivers.
youtube.com/watch?v=tJTUVMA5xZw

but i do like this next one best.
youtube.com/watch?v=08sfhQcT7CY

Roymondo:

This afternoon I was unlucky enough to get caught up in the slow/stationary queues on the M1 Northbound around J10/11. It was very slow, stop/start from J9, and we eventually came to a full stop just after J11 for 15 minutes or so. An ambulance went up the hard shoulder while I was there, so I knew it was due to a collision of some sort. Whatever the ins and outs, the traffic started moving again and off we all went. Except for those in Lane 2, who found themselves stuck behind a Gist artic, who appeared to be giving it zeds in the cab…

Yeah, been there done it, waiting in the queues for the boat, stuck in a jam on the road. You just shut your eyes, just for a second, then suddenly , open them to see F/all around you, totally embarrassing :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: But at least it was normal for a passing truck driver to beep his horn to wake you up. :laughing:
Once, work this one out, was sitting in the cab, closed the eyes, then suddenly woke up with a jolt thinking §hit , grabbing the steering wheel, thinking I’d fallen asleep at the wheel. I was actually stopped in the parking area of a routiers near St Dizier !!! Funny how the mind works !
Have any of you been in a traffic jam, sitting there, just not concentrating or looking ahead then you suddenly jam your foot on the brake pedal because you think that you’re rolling backwards, but it was the vehicle beside you that had slowly started moving forwards and you’d just noticed it out of the corner of your eye. As I said funny how the brain works !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:
not only truck drivers.
youtube.com/watch?v=tJTUVMA5xZw

but i do like this next one best.
youtube.com/watch?v=08sfhQcT7CY

Is that second one the origin of the “Tang Wave”?

nah,all the wave translates to is " are you getting it handy" hence the big wave
in relation to thinking your moving when stopped,funnily enough i did it yesterday in the car whilst parking.
just stopped in front of a fence and some old wifey in a micra moved off.
nearly put me super hamptons clean through the floor for 3 seconds.

this one worked out well though?
youtube.com/watch?v=Prv0Sam_828

pierrot 14:

Roymondo:

Yeah, been there done it, waiting in the queues for the boat, stuck in a jam on the road. You just shut your eyes, just for a second, then suddenly , open them to see F/all around you, totally embarrassing :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: But at least it was normal for a passing truck driver to beep his horn to wake you up. :laughing:
Once, work this one out, was sitting in the cab, closed the eyes, then suddenly woke up with a jolt thinking §hit , grabbing the steering wheel, thinking I’d fallen asleep at the wheel. I was actually stopped in the parking area of a routiers near St Dizier !!! Funny how the mind works !
Have any of you been in a traffic jam, sitting there, just not concentrating or looking ahead then you suddenly jam your foot on the brake pedal because you think that you’re rolling backwards, but it was the vehicle beside you that had slowly started moving forwards and you’d just noticed it out of the corner of your eye. As I said funny how the brain works !! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sometimes get a snooze in on night shifts but always seem to wake up dreaming that I’m rolling away!

Back into the cab after the midnight p&o to larne tucked away at the back put my head down on my arms on the steering wheel. Next thing I knew the car deck had emptied, no hold ups getting out the docks that morning everybody was about 15 minutes up the road in front of me.

Of course…

There’s always the ‘surprise you nodded off’ comedy routine.

Wait until your second driver has nodded off in the passenger seat. Pull off into an MSA and get right up close to the back of another parked lorry. Then scream at the top of your voice, whilst pulling on the steering wheel, engine running and standing on the brakes ‘jeeezus we’re gonna hit it!’.

They’ll either see the funny side of it or lamp you one for waking them with such a schoolboy prank.

yourhavingalarf:
Of course…

There’s always the ‘surprise you nodded off’ comedy routine.

Wait until your second driver has nodded off in the passenger seat. Pull off into an MSA and get right up close to the back of another parked lorry. Then scream at the top of your voice, whilst pulling on the steering wheel and standing on the brakes ‘jeeezus we’re gonna hit it!’.

They’ll either see the funny side of it or lamp you one for waking them with such a schoolboy prank.

Or have a heart attack !!

pierrot 14:
Or have a heart attack !!

I nearly did…

When it was done to me the first time. Second time it happened I got my own back the next day by braking so hard in Madrid centro, that he flew out of the bottom bunk and nearly landed on the windscreen.

And would you not think that that would be normal for someone working 15 hours a day
They tell car drivers to stop and have a cat nap if feeling tired and thats a short journey or a coffee
When have you ever seen anything like that for truck drivers

dieseldog999:
nah,all the wave translates to is " are you getting it handy" hence the big wave
in relation to thinking your moving when stopped,funnily enough i did it yesterday in the car whilst parking.

this one worked out well though?
youtube.com/watch?v=Prv0Sam_828

Bet the kid in the back of the car never got to have a new little brother or sister.

Funny is a stranger slipping on a banana skin and bashing themselves.
Tragedy is you slipping on a banana skin and bashing yourself.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:

Or when you’re stopped in your truck and the one on the bay next to you pulls away and for that split second you think you’re moving.

Once came across a driver who’d fallen asleep in a live lane on the A42. We’d been stopped for must be an hour whilst an accident cleared up. Everyone started moving and I came across a wagon which wasn’t. Slowed down as I passed and he’s there out like a light so a quick blast on the horn, he jumped out his seat in shock, gave a thumbs up and cracked on with the rest of his day.

I don’t have an issue with drivers having a kip when stopped for long periods (even on a Motorway - we’re only human!). However, I’ve had a look at my times on Tachomaster and can see that although it felt like a lot longer, we had all only been stationary for 10 minutes. At 2.45pm on a Friday afternoon. What concerns me is that a driver was so knackered that it took less than 10 minutes for him to nod off…