Driver shortage.....

Is a complete myth :confused:

after 2 days of ringing round various agencies and companies I’ve come to the conclusion (its what I knew anyhow) that the ‘shortage’ is complete utter ■■■■■■■■.

Most companies so far aren’t even willing to give any further details after they’ve asked how long you’ve had the license or what experience.

I have never ever hit such a brick wall when looking for work, Agencies want at least 6 months exp and companies prefer Class 1 drivers on Class 2 trucks. I have, in the past, almost always been offered a job after an interview and the current state of affairs is a little disheartening to say the least.

There is a little light at the end of the tunnel, Driver Hire is actively looking for me and Arla have said I’ll get an assessment when application form is received.

Time to review my position, do I go for class 1, HIAB/ADR or do I write off what I’ve spent already and go back to manufacturing for a while and sit on my license for a few months to get the necessary experience. :cry: :cry: :cry:

IMHO i’d go for your Class 1 mate,it just makes more options open to you,if you know what im saying.The more qualifications and tickets you have would probably give you more chance of getting a job than somebody who has’nt. :wink: I personally would leave the ADR until you’ve got a job,get some experience before you start moving hazardous loads about :wink: also ADR is only valid for 5 years so if you do it now and dont start driving for 6 months or a year then your licence will be that much shorter.
Work at the moment for me and I know others is a bit slack,this time of year it starts picking up,but so far has’nt,so this could also affect you getting work.

Just persist,It took me 6 months to get somebody to take me on,I just phoned everyone i could and more and finally on a Building site in Westminster I got talking to a Container driver delivering,he gave me a number,I phoned,after work I drove my van to Tilbury,had an assesment drive in Southampton that weekend,4 weeks later I started driving class 1 :smiley:

I do tend to think the Driver shortage is a myth though,but there are jobs out there to be had. :wink:

:blush: :blush: Posted it twice.

MADBAZ:
…or do I write off what I’ve spent already and go back to manufacturing for a while and sit on my license for a few months to get the necessary experience. :cry: :cry: :cry:

No point in sitting on your licence… when you approach anyone for work in a year / 18 months, they’ll ask you what you’ve been doing anyway.

Between Hiab and ADR… there’s more call for Hiab.

So, how do you get this “Experience” if knowone will give you a job? Its a joke! lol

Well I’ve been out looking again today,

Picked up an application form from CRL/ACC at Ossett and the TM was very helpful, they’re looking for drivers out my way due to moving premises, within the next 1-4 years, somewhere along M62 corridor, west of Brighouse :slight_smile: . Does anyone know what the pay is like there?

I’ve resorted to approaching drivers in laybys :blush: and asking them, got some good leads, but thankfully no additional offers :wink: .

I can’t afford artic atm, I’d need a reasonably well paid job to be able to fund it, rigid training took a huge slice of the rainy day fund, and whats left is dwindling day by day, with our lass being not so well it’s quite hard atm.

Sorry, whining over.

Just a thought, if I get an assessment with anyone is it worth booking an hour or so with my old training company beforehand, just to keep my hand in?

drivers shortage was acute some years ago but now plenty of Eastern Euro drivers to take up the slack

the situation is not helped helped by the shortage of work caused by people
now realising they have to buy for the goods now in their posession

I did my Class 2 and Class 1 tests one after the other and got plenty of Class 2 work straight away (with The Best Connection agency in Surrey at £8.50 or £9 per hour for Class 2, £10 per hour for Class 1) but they couldn’t get me any Class 1 work due to no experience. They managed to get me a couple of hours driving Class 1 with another driver and with that experience I joined Manpower who have the Royal Mail contract and have been driving Class 1 with them for 5 months now but it’s only £8 per hour. I see it as an apprenticeship and a spring board to other work as I have Royal Mail experience. I will probably face a lot of phoning around when I do decide to move on from Royal Mail too though.
There is work out there but I suppose it depends on where you live and which agencies are in your area and which contracts they have if you go via agencies which is the route I went.
Good luck and try and keep positive. I’m sure you’ll have a breakthrough soon.

Do the class1 mate cos something will turn up between you passing it and the 2 year mark. When your trying to find work I hope you’re not starting the conversation with something like" Do you take drivers who just passed?". Just ask 'em if their looking for class1 drivers and they might forget to ask you how long!

tartanraider:
Do the class1 mate cos something will turn up between you passing it and the 2 year mark. When your trying to find work I hope you’re not starting the conversation with something like" Do you take drivers who just passed?". Just ask 'em if their looking for class1 drivers and they might forget to ask you how long!

The new driver thing crops up usually but I defo do not ask it, I’m sending off lots of app forms so hopefully I’ll get a drive soon. Flippin bunch of airheads at Manpower, she wouldn’t even entertain me for van driving cos “you’ve only had your license for a week” DUH.

DON`T waste anymore money on your class one mate. You have already spend a small fortune for your class two and know one is interested because you have no experience.

Class one and no experience = no job

Isn`t the transport industry so &&

Jim

Don’t worry mate, You’re not the only one…

I have;

Class 1
Hiab
ADR (123 In and out of tanks)
Advanced Driver (Rospa and Iam)
Full PCV and PSV
Experience of both RHD and LHD
Hookloader Certificate
Lowloader Certificate
Fridges
NVQ Level 3 Road Freight Logistics
NVQ Level 3 Driving Goods Vehicles

But, I’m only 22 year old.

So far I’ve done one shift with ASDA on fridges and one shift with Harveys delivering sofas!!!

Lie a little:!: If you feel confident in your ability go for it

Dont give up on it :exclamation:

all the best mate :smiley: :smiley:

Chiz:

I have;

Class 1
Hiab
Full PCV and PSV
Hookloader Certificate
Lowloader Certificate
Fridges

So far I’ve done one shift with ASDA on fridges and one shift with Harveys delivering sofas!!!

How the bananas did you manage to afford to do all that? And plus, when did you get the opportunities to do it. Your only 22 :open_mouth: Tell me so i can get some stuff done :wink:

Chiz:

I have;

Class 1
Hiab
Full PCV and PSV
Hookloader Certificate
Lowloader Certificate
Fridges

I’m impressed too :exclamation: :exclamation:
Although I will say that some of the above would be academic qualifications not experience and herein lies the problem.
The system we have in this country allows people to gain paper qualifications without real ‘hands on’ experience. The old apprenticeship style way of gaining qualifications would have more weight with employers but those same employers are not willing to put in the time and money to do those apprenticeships.

I am well impressed by the advanced driving tests passed and would like to know if you did those before you did your C & CE :question: :question:

stormnation:
How the bananas did you manage to afford to do all that? And plus, when did you get the opportunities to do it. Your only 22 :open_mouth: Tell me so i can get some stuff done :wink:

I joined the army as a driver! I’ve had my class one since I was 18!!
All army drivers do ADR, most do hookloader, I paid for Hiab myself (only £150).
The army put me through the NVQ’s, PCV and advanced driving courses.
I did a tank transporter course with the army, then did a days civilian conversion to get my lowloader qualification.
I looked after the fresh food on an operational tour in Iraq, which meant I got to find my way around a fridge trailer.

The advanced driving courses were done after I’d got my other licences, I did my Rospa in Northern Ireland and my boss put me through IAM.

Then, after I got all this, I put my notice in!!!

I passed my class 2 year ago and c+e a year ago this month, Driver hire was the only agency to give me work even though i only just passed my test and i am still with them now, the moneys not the best but they keep me in work. Good luck getting work

Yeah, DriverHire have been okay with me. I might not have done much commercial work, but the work I have done, they sorted out for me.

I say lie a little also

Tell them your uncle had a farm and youve been pulling tractor and trailers since you were 16 :laughing: