Driver Shortage

Don’t know much about the DCPC elsewhere, is it just a money-making project and as useless as here or does it actually lead to more useful knowledge??

FB marketplace littered with adverts for gerry cans, some full some not when will these ■■■■■■’s realise there is no shortage, Buzzer

whisperingsmith:
Don’t know much about the DCPC elsewhere, is it just a money-making project and as useless as here or does it actually lead to more useful knowledge??

In some other countries* it is a course that includes practical driving exercises and isnt a mere "tick-box" exercise. It is of course the UK Gov that exercised its own choice to go down that road. It could have chosen a formula that was of practical use, could have been a way to get a better trained driver workforce, that maybe have commanded more respect and better pay, but instead chose the cheap option.

(*I hope some contributors here will tell us what is involved, rather than my second hand explanation)

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

In some other countries* it is a course that includes practical driving exercises and isnt a mere "tick-box" exercise. It is of course the UK Gov that exercised its own choice to go down that road. It could have chosen a formula that was of practical use, could have been a way to get a better trained driver workforce, that maybe have commanded more respect and better pay, but instead chose the cheap option.

(*I hope some contributors here will tell us what is involved, rather than my second hand explanation)

Do All EU countries insist on the DCPC then or we the only idiots that do what the EU say

ramone:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

Do All EU countries insist on the DCPC then or we the only idiots that do what the EU say

Bet any Euro drivers coming in to Britain never get check anyway, we dont even make them do customs yet because apparently we are not ready for that :smiley: :smiley: Buzzer

ramone:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

It is EU law.
Other countries may apply more or less strictly. We are (were) responsible for setting and enforcing the UK DCPC courses.
We are the “idiots” who allow non English speakers to sit at the back of the room while videos play, and give them their DCPC ticket if they dont actually snore. There are good UK courses out there, with good trainers, but there are also some waste of space ones. It has been a missed opportunity as UK Govs chose to go for a cheapn`easy fix rather than go for a professional (and better paid!) workforce.

Buzzer:
Bet any Euro drivers coming in to Britain never get check anyway,

Up to the UK Gov and relevant authorities to do that aint it? If they can`t be arsed…

Buzzer:
we dont even make them do customs yet because apparently we are not ready for that Buzzer

And the EU have been checking our customs docs since day one, whilst we havent even started yet. It was this current Johnson Gov that agreed the "oven ready deal" and they havent got the handbrake off.

Nice to be able to agree Buzzer, it`s a farce. :smiley:

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Bet any Euro drivers coming in to Britain never get check anyway,

Up to the UK Gov and relevant authorities to do that aint it? If they can`t be arsed…

Buzzer:
we dont even make them do customs yet because apparently we are not ready for that Buzzer

And the EU have been checking our customs docs since day one, whilst we havent even started yet. It was this current Johnson Gov that agreed the "oven ready deal" and they havent got the handbrake off.

Nice to be able to agree Buzzer, it`s a farce. :smiley:

Driver shortage is nothing to do with Brexit , driver shortage IS to do with the EU though , with their DCPC , we lost 1000s of drivers through this , and the crap that theres good courses shows how much you know about drivers and transport. The industry is on its knees because large companies took full advantage of cheap labour from the EU and when the self employed tax laws changed , you know the one where east europeans pay their own tax but dont bother is when the big exodus back to eastern europe arrived and all the companies that had cheap labour saw it disappear add that to the enforced EU Law DCPC then we find ourselves where we are today .How many companies employ young school leavers as cheap traffic planners , theres loads totally clueless. The jobs advertised of any 5 from 7 translated means thursday to monday at £11 per hour were widespread earlier this year , the likes of Next advertising on their lorries that you can order up to midnight for next day delivery is another case of why drivers cant be bothered with the industry and no ones mentioned the hobby bobbys disguised as VOSA looking to prosecute for the slightest thing . Where do i apply for a tanker driving job with BP , not Hoyer BP , the ones who are bleating about driver shortages but sold theirs down the river years ago FFS . Its saturday night i`m off for a beer having worked 6 days this week .

Made your post readable Captain:-

Driver shortage is nothing to do with Brexit , driver shortage IS to do with the EU though , with their DCPC , we lost 1000s of drivers through this , and the crap that there`s good courses shows how much you know about drivers and transport.

The industry is on its knees because large companies took full advantage of cheap labour from the EU and when the self employed tax laws changed , you know the one where east europeans pay their own tax but dont bother is when the big exodus back to eastern europe arrived and all the companies that had cheap labour saw it disappear add that to the enforced EU Law DCPC then we find ourselves where we are today .

How many companies employ young school leavers as cheap traffic planners , theres loads totally clueless. The jobs advertised of any 5 from 7 translated means thursday to monday at £11 per hour were widespread earlier this year , the likes of Next advertising on their lorries that you can order up to midnight for next day delivery is another case of why drivers cant be bothered with the industry and no ones mentioned the hobby bobbys disguised as VOSA looking to prosecute for the slightest thing .

Where do i apply for a tanker driving job with BP , not Hoyer BP , the ones who are bleating about driver shortages but sold theirs down the river years ago FFS . Its saturday night im off for a beer having worked 6 days this week .

whisperingsmith:
Made your post readable Captain:-

Driver shortage is nothing to do with Brexit , driver shortage IS to do with the EU though , with their DCPC , we lost 1000s of drivers through this , and the crap that there`s good courses shows how much you know about drivers and transport.

The industry is on its knees because large companies took full advantage of cheap labour from the EU and when the self employed tax laws changed , you know the one where east europeans pay their own tax but dont bother is when the big exodus back to eastern europe arrived and all the companies that had cheap labour saw it disappear add that to the enforced EU Law DCPC then we find ourselves where we are today .

How many companies employ young school leavers as cheap traffic planners , theres loads totally clueless. The jobs advertised of any 5 from 7 translated means thursday to monday at £11 per hour were widespread earlier this year , the likes of Next advertising on their lorries that you can order up to midnight for next day delivery is another case of why drivers cant be bothered with the industry and no ones mentioned the hobby bobbys disguised as VOSA looking to prosecute for the slightest thing .

Where do i apply for a tanker driving job with BP , not Hoyer BP , the ones who are bleating about driver shortages but sold theirs down the river years ago FFS . Its saturday night im off for a beer having worked 6 days this week .

Can’t you read unless its spaced out , maybe that says more about you than my post champ

ramone:
Driver shortage is nothing to do with Brexit

Nothing at all?
I do disagree, but, couldnt say how much is/isnt due to it.
But, if you say none of the driver shortage is due to Brexit, then presumably, the recent pay rises are not due to Brexit either?

ramone:
their DCPC , we lost 1000s of drivers through this

If driving was a good little number wouldn`t the DCPC be seen as a minor inconvenience? If driving is a pain in the ■■■■, then i agree that it could the last straw. So, if the UK has lost “thousands of drivers” because of the DCPC, who is at fault I wonder? The people who put one straw on the camel, or those who put the whole twenty bales on first?

ramone:
and the crap that there`s good courses shows how much you know about drivers and transport

Been here for decades, and still getting my hands dirty.
I dont claim to know everything. There are some things I have heard of, but not seen myself. I dont accuse those who have seen such of being wrong. I have been on crap courses and good ones.

ramone:
when the self employed tax laws changed

Ahh…
The UK tax laws…set by UK Ministers and Parliament…enforced by the UK…
Damned Johnnie Foreigner! Following the laws our MPs set!
All very well having “tax fiddles” so that votes can be bribed from “white van man” but just wait until someone who doesn

Buzzer:
FB marketplace littered with adverts for gerry cans, some full some not when will these ■■■■■■’s realise there is no shortage, Buzzer

:laughing: :laughing:

Agree with you and Buzzer completely Ramone

> ramone:
> Can’t you read unless its spaced out , maybe that says more about you than my post champ

Most (if not all) people struggle when presented with a large block of text, especially on screen.
Visually it could just as well be a brick or a block of margarine.

I know writing legibly is not in the DCPC but there are lots of helpful sources on the web

For eample: Page Not Found - Search - IUP

Or the Oracle: Writing for Web Accessibility – Tips for Getting Started | Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) | W3C

And at sea, short understandable paragraphs/sentences are paramount especially in far-flung parts - i.e ‘International Code’

Hi all, i thought that the DCPC was part of the Dutch learning to drive and get an HGV Year’s ago i am pretty sure i was told about it late 70’s early 80’s. The rule’s and reg’s and all that we have learned over the year’s i think is good to teach new driver’s but some old sod that has driven truck’s 40 year’s and make them sit for 35 hour’s listening to an instructor who has never driven a truck but know’s how to stand in front of a dozen blokes that are either asleep as they have worked all night and the other’s glassed over with boredom or just taking the p–s all day because the instructor only know what they are reading from the computer screen, Make it part of getting the HGV license and leave it at that. If a driver hasn’t kept up with rule change’s then they deserve to get in trouble the information is out there if you want to keep up with it. That’s my opinion make what you like to old to care. :sunglasses:

Like most on here I learned from being thrown in the deep end and left to get on with it.
I mainly learned as an owner driver, with a bit of agency here and there in the early days if I didn’t have any work booked.

Looking back the things I think would have been worthwhile having a few hours of proper professional tuition (not the current DCPC style)
would have been:

1 - tankers - I remember the first night on Milk Trunk about 11pm (Agency): “There she is drive here’s the delivery address, off you go”
My first braking attempt was uncomfortable, to say the least, then I cautiously took the first roundabout slowly gaining confidence.
15 minutes of basic info of how liquids splash around in an unbaffled tank would have been useful - one agency driver on his first trip from the same Dairy overturned at the first roundabout.
I never learn’t anything about loading, discharge or tank cleaning although I was an expert Officer on Petroleum ships at sea.
I have learn’t more from the forums on TN about that and other specialties than I have ever encountered.

2 - First Aid, First Responder. more like a few weeks for this and well worth it.

3 - Anger Management, how to deal with staff at RDCs and other establishments whose social/interpersonal skills are severely lacking.

4 - Struggling to think of something, but on modern trucks just dealing with all the buttons on the steering wheel is worthy of a few hours tuition.
Managing air suspension and other technical ‘Improvements’ also worth another 15 or 20 minutes, maybe more.

I am sure the original Idea of the DCPC was in good faith and worthwhile, but the dumbing down into a money making exercise has made it into a worthless scam.

ramone:
Im just watching GB News and people keep coming on saying there’s a tanker driver shortage .WHERE■■? How do you get a tanker job with any of the big oil companies , well you can’t because they don’t employ drivers , the likes of Hoyer do the job , Hoyer not so long ago were advertising for traffic planners on a regular basis i haven’t checked recently but the wages were poor

Just seen this, Buzzer

I do agree the fuel “shortage” is mostly caused by panic buying, and cars all having topped off tanks, when many are often kept half full or running near empty in normal times. It should settle down of its own accord soon if so. But, to say there is no shortage because the depot storage tanks are full, is akin to saying there is no scarcity of gold because the mines have tons of it. If the fuel isnt on the forecourt it isn`t available, so it is scarce.

Franglais:
I do agree the fuel “shortage” is mostly caused by panic buying, and cars all having topped off tanks, when many are often kept half full or running near empty in normal times. It should settle down of its own accord soon if so. But, to say there is no shortage because the depot storage tanks are full, is akin to saying there is no scarcity of gold because the mines have tons of it. If the fuel isnt on the forecourt it isn`t available, so it is scarce.

Of course, that is so. Business is normally quite happy to see sales boom. But here they have simply sold out and cannot re-stock. Thus there is a shortage in the shops and forecourts.

But politicians will always try to slightly change the subject. The problem is we do not have enough licence holders who wish to drive HGVs-in this case tankers- to re-stock the stores. Whatever the reason for that, be it money. hours, conditions or whatever, is immaterial.

Franglais:

Deluded