Driver Shortage

It must be bad if they are short of tanker drivers! They used to be ‘dead mans boots’ jobs but I’m guessing these jobs have now been given over to the multinational distribution companies who of course tell the operators they can save them a fortune on their distribution and instantly cut the pay and terms and conditions for the drivers.

There’s a saying which is something like…you reap what you sow.

Hi all, they keep banging on about giving driver’s large pay rises but they don’t seem to be able to grasp that a lot of the problem is the condition’s, No where to park sensibly for a break or over night, the government should put a stop to the services charging ridicules prices for over night parking no decent toilet and shower ( which i believe is partly drivers own fault as some just abuse what they are given). The young drivers coming into the buisness don’t want to live like tramps 5 or 6 day’s a week like we did when i started in 1973 but i had it better than the driver’s in the 60’s i think but these day’s you get told £50,000 a year, new truck with fridge and microwave and you are supposed to be great full, yes that would have been nice in the 70’s but no matter how lovely the truck is you need decent facility’s. My opinion anyway. :sunglasses:

Kempston:
It must be bad if they are short of tanker drivers! They used to be ‘dead mans boots’ jobs but I’m guessing these jobs have now been given over to the multinational distribution companies who of course tell the operators they can save them a fortune on their distribution and instantly cut the pay and terms and conditions for the drivers.

There’s a saying which is something like…you reap what you sow.

Yes, you reap what you sow. And too many employers take advantage of goo employees, seeing them as disposable rather than assets to nurture.

But I do wonder if younger people are really interested in driving a truck, day in day out, for…ever? I drove but eventually walked away when my Dad’s warning of “once a lorry driver, always a lorry driver” began to ring true.

Add to which in my driving days you were out on your own, making your own way to destination, calling in as necessary. I liked that. I did not have to spend a fortune and faf around to get the licence and did not have technology and legislation looking over my shoulder all the time.

So I do wonder if money is the only reason we are in the mess we found ourselves.

Listening to Grant the great transport minister on tele this morning, well he is on another planet FFS, why is it the BBC and the likes always go to the minister who ought to know what the hell is going on or the RHA for discussion on situation the transport industry finds itself in, IMHO they are as far removed from the real problems of the industry they are supposed to represent and what should be done to alleviate the problems.
Its blindingly obvious that until Joe public has not got goods to purchase ie petrol or empty shelves in supermarkets that anything is done, why keep going on about Brexit or Covid19 as an excuse as that is not the problem here. As has been stated there is a shortage of drivers not just here but in Europe and USA as well so this is general all over, when I first drove trucks back in the 70’s the roads were far less crowded and even though today we have machines now that have 500hp plus if there is traffic in front of you you cant use it effectively, also mentioned is driver facilities as in my early days there were an abundance of transport cafe’s to chose from with plenty of off road parking to boot with good wholesome food and facilities, not as today with services taken over by McDonalds etc.
What we really need is a minister of common sense who would be drafted in from the real transport sector, not someone with a degree who has absolutely no grasp of the real situation, maybe a panel of gentleman from the up to date transport world who understand WTF is going on and then maybe, just maybe we may get some solutions to the many problems we have, better late than never we live in hope, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Listening to Grant the great transport minister on tele this morning, well he is on another planet FFS, why is it the BBC and the likes always go to the minister who ought to know what the hell is going on or the RHA for discussion on situation the transport industry finds itself in, IMHO they are as far removed from the real problems of the industry they are supposed to represent and what should be done to alleviate the problems.
Its blindingly obvious that until Joe public has not got goods to purchase ie petrol or empty shelves in supermarkets that anything is done, why keep going on about Brexit or Covid19 as an excuse as that is not the problem here. As has been stated there is a shortage of drivers not just here but in Europe and USA as well so this is general all over, when I first drove trucks back in the 70’s the roads were far less crowded and even though today we have machines now that have 500hp plus if there is traffic in front of you you cant use it effectively, also mentioned is driver facilities as in my early days there were an abundance of transport cafe’s to chose from with plenty of off road parking to boot with good wholesome food and facilities, not as today with services taken over by McDonalds etc.
What we really need is a minister of common sense who would be drafted in from the real transport sector, not someone with a degree who has absolutely no grasp of the real situation, maybe a panel of gentleman from the up to date transport world who understand WTF is going on and then maybe, just maybe we may get some solutions to the many problems we have, better late than never we live in hope, Buzzer

Buzer,

I think there has been been a shortage of common sense in government for years, nothing to do with Brexir or Covid! So no chance of a Minister with that portfolio. Our political system tends to keep gentlemen such as those you allude to us needing well away from politics. It is a ■■■■ shame and I wish we could reform so much about how we govern ourselves. Rant over.

Kempston hit the nail on the head with the oil companies farming work out to the cheapest bidder , i never see petrol tanker jobs on offer. Buzzer right also with the lack of decent cafes with parking services with KFC abd the like

How many people have got the best part of £4k to get a CE licence :question:

That seems to be the one thing that nobody has brought up - not a politician or a journalist -WHY :question:

On BBC news scaremongers this morning we are about to issue emergency visas for HGV tanker drivers, no fuel shortage and no shortage of drivers really in this field just greedy public with an attitude that makes the situation into a shortage, its bog roll syndrome all over again.
Sort the real problems first with LGV test dates and licence issuing problems & scrap the drivers CPC etc, there does not seem to be any problems getting benefits to those who choose not to work does there else we would surely have heard about it
Wages for any job usually are dictated by supply & demand as with most things and as many have stated on here a lot LGV drivers have been treated unfairly for years and not appreciated for there contributions to making this country tick. Of late we have seen a wage increase for the job and by bringing in EU drivers who have not got CPC’s and the like we will surely go back to square one all over again, funny old world we abide in eh, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
On BBC news scaremongers this morning we are about to issue emergency visas for HGV tanker drivers, no fuel shortage and no shortage of drivers really in this field just greedy public with an attitude that makes the situation into a shortage, its bog roll syndrome all over again.
Sort the real problems first with LGV test dates and licence issuing problems & scrap the drivers CPC etc, there does not seem to be any problems getting benefits to those who choose not to work does there else we would surely have heard about it
Wages for any job usually are dictated by supply & demand as with most things and as many have stated on here a lot LGV drivers have been treated unfairly for years and not appreciated for there contributions to making this country tick. Of late we have seen a wage increase for the job and by bringing in EU drivers who have not got CPC’s and the like we will surely go back to square one all over again, funny old world we abide in eh, Buzzer.

As I have said if lower driving test standards applied to those from Europe who can legally drive here why not revise the UK requirements downwards to match theirs? Have foreign drivers been going around causing more accidents than UK drivers (pro rata 0f course)? If they have why are we considering letting them back in?
Perhaps the hurdles new drivers face are simply unnecessary, just added bureaucracy to keep the money rolling in for interested parties. Just a thought.

I was just thinking, if we are going to put Army drivers in to fuel tankers and in to some ambulances in Scotland when will we be putting them in bin lorries to meet that short-fall?

And if we then need the army to do army type activities will we be short there?

It is becoming a strange place, Britain.

When the S---- hits the fan up goes the call " Bring in the Army" ! What a joke so what could a thousand or so well meaning Squaddies make a difference to the self inflicted balls up that has been building up over the past number of years. Oh! the ■■■■■■■ "Establishment and that part of the Populace that have always looked down on HGV drivers as something they have trod in do not like what is happening one little bit and 5000 temp drivers from the EU ( even if they can be persuaded to come over) aint going to make a blind bit of difference ! But the News channels barely mention the fact that the HGV driver shortage on mainland Europe is more acute than here in the UK so if 5000 EE’s can be persuded to come and help out I’d like to bet that it will be the dregs that are unemployable in their home countries so look out there could RTA’s all over the ■■■■■■■ place !! I believe it is the large “Logistics” outfits that have suffered because they are the main culprits that found it much easier to employ an EE on lower wages. But I don’t think that these “5000” phantoms could be dropped into a BP or Shell tanker and set off to deliver 30,000 litres of fuel any time soon ! Cheers Bewick.

I reckon you are right Bewick, it looks like the EU are taking much more realistic steps to address driver shortages:

“There are driver shortages right across Europe as well, but the EU has committed to improving driver facilities and haulage companies are committed to improving pay and conditions. Until the UK offers the same pay and working conditions as drivers have in the EU then many will stay away.”

Earlier this week, Brussels committed to a financial package to building new truck parking areas with improved facilities across the EU.

Last year, the EU also introduced new rules on road transport to end the distortion of competition in the sector while providing better working conditions for drivers.

Im just watching GB News and people keep coming on saying there’s a tanker driver shortage .WHERE■■? How do you get a tanker job with any of the big oil companies , well you can’t because they don’t employ drivers , the likes of Hoyer do the job , Hoyer not so long ago were advertising for traffic planners on a regular basis i haven’t checked recently but the wages were poor

whisperingsmith:
I reckon you are right Bewick, it looks like the EU are taking much more realistic steps to address driver shortages:

“There are driver shortages right across Europe as well, but the EU has committed to improving driver facilities and haulage companies are committed to improving pay and conditions. Until the UK offers the same pay and working conditions as drivers have in the EU then many will stay away.”

Earlier this week, Brussels committed to a financial package to building new truck parking areas with improved facilities across the EU.

Last year, the EU also introduced new rules on road transport to end the distortion of competition in the sector while providing better working conditions for drivers.

https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-eu-drivers-snub-boris-johnsons-uk-petrol-crisis-brexit-visa-offer-1217320

PHEW!
We got Brexit done just in time then*!
Imagine having the EU having to impose solutions to problems upon us here? If we vote for an incompetent Gov who are they to try and tell us how to fix things?

*Apart from all the things we haven`t even started to do yet, of course.

As I’ve continuously pointed out to my NHS/Ambo managers “you can pay people poorly and treat them spectacularly or pay people spectacularly and treat them poorly. What you can’t do is pay people poorly and treat them poorly”.

Seems the NHS and Drivers have much the same problems, which is why both are struggling to retain staff.

Come the revolution… :smiling_imp:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-eu-drivers-snub-boris-johnsons-uk-petrol-crisis-brexit-visa-offer-1217320

PHEW!
Imagine having the EU having to impose solutions to problems upon us here? If we vote for an incompetent Gov who are they to try and tell us how to fix things?

So the EU have no driver shortage then FFS

ramone:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

PHEW!

Yes, they too have a shortage of drivers, I certainly never said otherwise, and if you look above, they seem to suggest a way to improve things. They aren`t talking of importing drivers to cover their incompetence. They are looking to themselves, not to being bailed out by foreigners as this current administration are.
Will any EU drivers choose to come here on a temporary, short term visa? When they can go to other EU countries with less admin paperwork, freedom to change employers, cheaper housing and possibly a lower cost of living? Who knows?

> ramone:
> So the EU have no driver shortage then FFS

They do, but the difference is they are collectively taking the sort of action drivers in the UK are calling for.
And that is from a base where conditions, especially parking facilities, good food availability, less crowded roads and more respect, are already light years ahead of the UK.

In my experience even 40 years ago, conditions in mainland Europe were better, including Turkey and Iran.

whisperingsmith:
> ramone:
> So the EU have no driver shortage then FFS

They do, but the difference is they are collectively taking the sort of action drivers in the UK are calling for.
And that is from a base where conditions, especially parking facilities, good food availability, less crowded roads and more respect, are already light years ahead of the UK.

In my experience even 40 years ago, conditions in mainland Europe were better, including Turkey and Iran.

Oh great , so they are going to scrap the EU DCPC

Franglais:

ramone:

Franglais:

whisperingsmith:

PHEW!

Yes, they too have a shortage of drivers, I certainly never said otherwise, and if you look above, they seem to suggest a way to improve things. They aren`t talking of importing drivers to cover their incompetence. They are looking to themselves, not to being bailed out by foreigners as this current administration are.
Will any EU drivers choose to come here on a temporary, short term visa? When they can go to other EU countries with less admin paperwork, freedom to change employers, cheaper housing and possibly a lower cost of living? Who knows?

Well i certainly hope they don`t decide to come here because many left lots to be desired before. The EU have caused one of the biggest problems here where 1000s left the industry the ridiculous DCPC