Driver Shortage?

DCPCFML:
The English speaking ones at Turner’s who I got friendly with never mentioned IR35 - the reason was because Brexit resulted in a 22% drop in the value of the pound vs the Euro

That happened in 2016.

A mate of mine [Serbian born] asked if I was interested in any Romanian drivers, as he has a few coming over for interviews this month, apparently they see value in the UK going forward, and they are young enough not to be sending money home, so they are`nt hamstrung by exchange rates :bulb:

He already has a few Romanian drivers, and they are good lads [shock/horror], so I said yes, just waiting now for a chin-wag :wink:

DCPCFML:

robbo99.:
Driver shortage…the perfect storm … Brexit, Covid and IR35 reforms.

What with agencies unable to put bums on seats, firms that always filled jobs without advertising now having to advertise, as an example in my area Air Products, DHL Tesco Goole and Doncaster advertising on the radio for class 1 drivers, wages going up, bonuses paid, refer a friend payments, surveys carried out the list goes on. Sounds to me like there’s a shortage of Drivers. If people choose not to drive due to poor pay and conditions, then in my mind that makes for a Driver shortage. Simples.

:confused:

What kind of retarded man maths is that? An ample supply of drivers willing to work for good pay and conditions - but not for poor pay and conditions - does not equate to a shortage of drivers.

A very simple test to prove or disprove the proclaimed driver shortage would be for all hauliers to put class 1 rates starting at £20/hr. I am willing to bet that within a few weeks once the word got around, the hauliers would have drivers for all their shifts along with several names on a waiting list. I’m also willing to bet that a lot of those who retired from the industry would come back to work part-time as well. The rate would also see a lot of newbies coming into the industry too.

Tesco at Goole have been advertising for drivers ever since the day they opened. Even if they offered £30/hr they still wouldn’t get many as the place is in the middle of nowhere unless you live in the crap-hole that is Goole town and the work itself is also crap. Much the same reason for Sherburn as well. Why travel all the way over there when there are 3 million haulage companies to choose from at Whitwood all in competition with each other over pay.

Air Products only have 1 ad on Indeed and their own website and that’s for a bulk driver at Didcot. No pay rates mentioned on either = 99.9% of viewers skip straight past. They don’t do themselves any favours.

Not seeing much increase in the rates for the majority of hauliers round here from a quick look at Indeed. Expect Dist still paying [zb] and wanting 100 hrs per week. Great Bear £11.04/hr class 1. Campeys of Selby £12. Asda £15.30 nights & lots of weekends. Wincanton £12.09. Gregprys £30k nights doing store dels. XPO £11.23. Newcold £12.01. Viamaster £10/hr “drivers urgently needed” PMSL!. Morons £12.25. Longs £31k for 70 hrs and must work every saturday. Downtons £11.60. The agencies are still trying to get away with £11-12/hr but there’s an increasing number now starting at £15/hr but the rates offered by the full-timers above are the same as they were last year so as usual, it’s a load of old cobblers, there is no driver shortage and once again you’ve all been suckered into believing the guff written by Commie Motor and the RHA.

And they’re under starters orders and they’re off. Welcome to the TruckNet UK donkey classic, sponsored by the Obnoxious/Font Of Knowledge Society UK.

All runners qualified by having a proven track record of displaying copious amounts or bu11■■■■ on nearly ever subject known to man.

Going on current form, but hampered by his poor eyesight in his ability to not see the wood for the trees, the clear favourite is still DCPCFML.

Stanley Mitchell:
A mate of mine [Serbian born] asked if I was interested in any Romanian drivers, as he has a few coming over for interviews this month, apparently they see value in the UK going forward, and they are young enough not to be sending money home, so they are`nt hamstrung by exchange rates :bulb:

He already has a few Romanian drivers, and they are good lads [shock/horror], so I said yes, just waiting now for a chin-wag :wink:

Yup, Romanian workmate of mine, one of the most reliable bods on the job, can put the bloody trailer anywhere, i’m trying to help him reverse into a nightmare dark awkward spot and the bloody trailer goes in like it’s on guided tracks, i might as well have gorn and fetched the coffees for all the use i was there :sunglasses:
Not the first Romanian i’ve been impressed by either, several i’ve worked with over the years competent reliable with a respectful polite attitude that last existed in the native population when i was a nipper.

Juddian:

Stanley Mitchell:

Yup, Romanian workmate of mine, one of the most reliable bods on the job, can put the bloody trailer anywhere, i’m trying to help him reverse into a nightmare dark awkward spot and the bloody trailer goes in like it’s on guided tracks, i might as well have gorn and fetched the coffees for all the use i was there :sunglasses:
Not the first Romanian i’ve been impressed by either, several i’ve worked with over the years competent reliable with a respectful polite attitude that last existed in the native population when i was a nipper.

Very sociable as well, they love a bar-b-q and you will get an invite if they like you :laughing:

Stanley Mitchell:

Are you a Licenced Sponsor?

Stanley Mitchell:
Very sociable as well, they love a bar-b-q and you will get an invite if they like you :laughing:

Especially if you have gold teeth/fillings as they’re busily calculating your scrap value :wink:

We have a couple where I work. Pleasant enough and no more or no less prone to reshaping lorries than any other nationality.

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

Nope, but my mate is, [tier 2 IIRC] …as ive said, Im having a chin-wag to see if its worth it, there is a lot of paperwork to go through, but the criteria is easily achievable, as there is`nt much local talent about :open_mouth:

Stanley Mitchell:

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

Nope, but my mate is, [tier 2 IIRC] …as ive said, Im having a chin-wag to see if its worth it, there is a lot of paperwork to go through, but the criteria is easily achievable, as there is`nt much local talent about :open_mouth:

Tier2 Licence £550 if under 50 employees? And £25,600 salary??

I quit driving 8 years ago but for the last month I’ve been getting 2 or 3 calls each week offering me work. Today’s one was paying 170 per day and 25 night out money

> Juddian:
> : He already has a few Romanian drivers, and they are good lads [shock/horror], so I said yes, just waiting now for a chin-wag :wink
>
> Yup, Romanian workmate of mine, one of the most reliable bods on the job, can put the bloody trailer anywhere, i’m trying to help him reverse into a nightmare dark awkward spot and the bloody trailer goes in like it’s on guided tracks, i might as well have gorn and fetched the coffees for all the use i was there :sunglasses:
> Not the first Romanian i’ve been impressed by either, several i’ve worked with over the years competent reliable with a respectful polite attitude that last existed in the native population when i was a nipper.

A thing to remember is the older ones grew up driving absolute ■■■■■ motors, double manned AEC Mandators & other Poverty motors on Middle East for starters, potholes on main roads in Romania that would swallow a Transit van.
Good boys the Romas, IIRC they were always known as ‘F Troup’ and they had it hard - not many Brits could put up with what those boys did & probably still do - except now for a more equitable pay packet.

whisperingsmith:
> Juddian:
> : He already has a few Romanian drivers, and they are good lads [shock/horror], so I said yes, just waiting now for a chin-wag :wink
>
> Yup, Romanian workmate of mine, one of the most reliable bods on the job, can put the bloody trailer anywhere, i’m trying to help him reverse into a nightmare dark awkward spot and the bloody trailer goes in like it’s on guided tracks, i might as well have gorn and fetched the coffees for all the use i was there :sunglasses:
> Not the first Romanian i’ve been impressed by either, several i’ve worked with over the years competent reliable with a respectful polite attitude that last existed in the native population when i was a nipper.

A thing to remember is the older ones grew up driving absolute [zb] motors, double manned AEC Mandators & other Poverty motors on Middle East for starters, potholes on main roads in Romania that would swallow a Transit van.
Good boys the Romas, IIRC they were always known as ‘F Troup’ and they had it hard - not many Brits could put up with what those boys did & probably still do - except now for a more equitable pay packet.

Indeed and the older ones especially tended to have gone through it all working their way up, yes driving some right old sheds on serious roads but also keeping them running and serviced.

Previously poorly paid area , Fowler welch ( culina ) now advertising Spalding £900 pw , cpt Spalding ( think my mate drove for them but not sure ) , now advertising , £50,000 pa , both look employed jobs , not agency

Conor:

DCPCFML:
The English speaking ones at Turner’s who I got friendly with never mentioned IR35 - the reason was because Brexit resulted in a 22% drop in the value of the pound vs the Euro

That happened in 2016.

Correct. But obviously no-one packs their bags the moment the exchange rate changes. Over time you come to realise that the exchange rate isn’t bouncing back so it’s only then that you start looking around at other options and make your plans. The exodus started years ago, not in April this year, although I strongly suspect that the IR35 death knell has played a role as well, particularly for those drivers who see IR35 as an instrument to essentially be paid cash-in-hand :wink: .

Stanley Mitchell:

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

If/when employees are with a Licenced Sponsor are they then tied to them?
Or are they free to seek other (better paid?) jobs?

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

Franglais:

Stanley Mitchell:

If/when employees are with a Licenced Sponsor are they then tied to them?
Or are they free to seek other (better paid?) jobs?

The way I understand it, they can move to another job, but there is another paper trail to go through :neutral_face:

Coop in Avonmouth are offering 20 an hour the deal breaker is tbe 8hour paid assessment.What will you be doing for 8hours.They still cant get drivers at that rate.

WSTransportation (stobart) are paying over £14.55 IIRC an hour Monday to friday on days in Rugby, don’t believe it? go and apply on their site…

The government has told the RHA industry body to up their pay rates in response to them moaning about driver shortage’s, the rates have always been controlled…

Mate who works direct for stobarts said he’s now gets £100 for every extra shift he does , I remember them paying a bonus odd times at Xmas but never in June , according to him it’s been being paid for a month+ , he works out of walkers Leicester

Tesco Magor are desperate for drivers. Looking for 50. But the basic rate is not great and the shift pattern is the worst I have ever worked. Plus your are working along side drivers on the old contract who are on a higher rate and get every 7th week off with pay. Single rest days almost every other week is ■■■■. Plenty of jobs being advertised at the moment for more pay and better working hours so hopefully I will be jumping ship soon.