Driver shortage

Well it must be true because Taylors says so !

ukhaulier.co.uk/news/road-tr … ge-to-bbc/

Plenty of gimps with a limp and a headset …but they are steering wheel attendants only who do not work directly for who they drive.
Real proper drivers will be in so short a supply in a few years time it will be unreal or perhaps not…Cameron and co will put up retirement age to 106 so it won’t happen.

Its simple . Do away with cpc training and stop putting hurdles up to make job difficult.

Is that the same ‘parliamentary select committee’ that is ‘inquiring’ into the ‘road haulage skills shortage’ that is also ‘committed’ to shifting as many freight journeys as possible from road to rail.By way of punitive fuel taxation and over regulation etc.Meanwhile we can obviously take it for granted that they are offering free training and a guaranteed job on decent class 1 work to all interested applicants of minimum LGV driving age.

Or a ready made excuse to open the doors to a massive influx of immigrant ‘refugees’ who can be put to work driving what’s left of the UK road transport fleet. :unamused:

Taxibear:
Its simple . Do away with cpc training and stop putting hurdles up to make job difficult.

Allowing the use of LHV’s and red diesel would be a good start in pulling down a few ‘hurdles’.

3 wheeler:
Plenty of gimps with a limp and a headset …but they are steering wheel attendants only who do not work directly for who they drive.
Real proper drivers will be in so short a supply in a few years time it will be unreal or perhaps not…

I witnessed one of these “real proper drivers” yesterday. He was chasing around the place trying to find a place to drop his trailer whilst I, the agency gimp with a limp and a headset, saw the shunter that the “proper driver” went shooting past hooking up to a trailer and waited for him to pull it out and then dropped my trailer in the only free bay there was.

Agency gimp 1, “real proper driver” 0.

3 wheeler:
Real proper drivers will be in so short a supply in a few years time it will be unreal or perhaps not…Cameron and co will put up retirement age to 106 so it won’t happen.

:open_mouth:

to be fair I think Taylors would struggle to find drivers even if there wasn’t a shortage!

Conor:

3 wheeler:
Real proper drivers will be in so short a supply in a few years time it will be unreal or perhaps not…

I witnessed one of these “real proper drivers” yesterday. He was chasing around the place trying to find a place to drop his trailer whilst I, the agency gimp with a limp and a headset, saw the shunter that the “proper driver” went shooting past hooking up to a trailer and waited for him to pull it out and then dropped my trailer in the only free bay there was.

Agency gimp 1, “real proper driver” 0.

Never once did I use the word AGENCY…but if the cap fits.
And Real proper drivers are trained by people who care , the guy you saw was obviously not.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] this cracks me up, running bent on analogue is the way forward, too bad they don’t pay…

Taxibear:

Why would £300s worth of CPC training cause a diver shortage? After some of the questions drivers put on here it should be 35 hours per year

3 wheeler:

what do you consider to be a real proper driver 3 wheeler,i myself am full time as well as agency in the past,i have seen agency drivers just as good as full time,drivers like you do make me laugh,if all you can do is slate someone trying to earn a living as opposed to being on benefits then you must be one sad individual

Darb:
Well it must be true because Taylors says so !

ukhaulier.co.uk/news/road-tr … ge-to-bbc/

I see that Taylors has an in house training school too, good on them. In the scheme of things the investment for a company to train a full time member of staff is very small. If its 3k (for example ), then thats about six full tanks of diesel for a permanent member of staff. Measured out over the lifetime of the employee its a very small fractional amount to invest.

3 wheeler:
Plenty of gimps with a limp and a headset …but they are steering wheel attendants only .

You make that sound like a bad thing? Whats wrong with piloting a truck if you have a limp and maybe impaired mobility ? Modern trucks are touted as so easy to drive, even women can drive them…(i say that tongue in cheek of course). Its a perfect job for someone who has limited mobility, and even moreso, aside from the ease of driving them, for the fact that so little driver interaction with the loading/unloading takes place.

We live in a world now where an 8 stone weakling can transport 40 tonnes of steel. Due of course to technology. When they need the Incredible Hulk with Lewis Hamiltons driving skills to get goods moved about maybe we’ll need different sorts of drivers. Right now we don’t.

Can’t really comment on shortage or not except to give our experiences in the last couple of weeks.

Our main work is agri-contracting but we’re sitting twiddling our thumbs through the winter so I drive (agency) through the winter. My back went with what felt like an explosion on Monday as I was hooking up; trip to casualty, painkilling injection and enough tablets to choke a horse both the company I was on for and the agency were brilliant. Got a call from the agency today more in hope than expectation, as I’m making much better progress than I expected I’m pencilled in for short runs next week and arrangements are being made so there’s someone at the drops to do the pallet trucking.

Son is now signed up with the same agency and his pal will sign up on Sunday, both will have work as soon as they are available. My experience since I resurrected my licence 5 years ago has been has been that I’ve had work whenever I’m available and I’m on a decent rate.

What I can’t understand is why the likes of Pimpdaddy can’t find decent driving work, maybe it depends on where you live.

Our wonderful Masters will find a way of fast tracking some of those poor sods who are now swimming in the Med.to take on our driving and any other jobs that need doing.There will be no shortage of drivers ,I cant see the rates going up any time soon.

chicane:
Can’t really comment on shortage or not except to give our experiences in the last couple of weeks.

Our main work is agri-contracting but we’re sitting twiddling our thumbs through the winter so I drive (agency) through the winter. My back went with what felt like an explosion on Monday as I was hooking up; trip to casualty, painkilling injection and enough tablets to choke a horse both the company I was on for and the agency were brilliant. Got a call from the agency today more in hope than expectation, as I’m making much better progress than I expected I’m pencilled in for short runs next week and arrangements are being made so there’s someone at the drops to do the pallet trucking.

Son is now signed up with the same agency and his pal will sign up on Sunday, both will have work as soon as they are available. My experience since I resurrected my licence 5 years ago has been has been that I’ve had work whenever I’m available and I’m on a decent rate.

What I can’t understand is why the likes of Pimpdaddy can’t find decent driving work, maybe it depends on where you live.

I made the point the other day on another thread that PimpDaddy usually only pops up to either moan about trucks being slow at a particular company or that there is no driver shortage - in a lot of parts of the country there clearly is a shortage but he will never accept that!

truckman020:

3 wheeler:

what do you consider to be a real proper driver 3 wheeler,i myself am full time as well as agency in the past,i have seen agency drivers just as good as full time,drivers like you do make me laugh,if all you can do is slate someone trying to earn a living as opposed to being on benefits then you must be one sad individual

I wish to ■■■■ you sad ■■■■■■■ learned to read…never did once I use the word AGENCY.
But if that’s your opinion …that’s up to you.
I am talking about halfwits who have not got a clue how to drive and always seem to me have an earpiece in and limp about in a pathetic manner .They are steering wheel attendants who somehow somewhere got a licence .

Conor:
whilst I, the agency gimp with a limp and a headset,.

so, you do admit you actually have a limp and a headset.

chicane:

Not all driving work is ‘decent’, can you understand that? I live in Kent.

tmcassett:
I made the point the other day on another thread that PimpDaddy usually only pops up to either moan about trucks being slow at a particular company or that there is no driver shortage - in a lot of parts of the country there clearly is a shortage but he will never accept that!

Of course I’m not going to accept something that simply isn’t true. There might be a shortage of cheap labour but there certainly isn’t a shortage of drivers!!!