Driver shortage

Im new to this forum so sorry if ive posted in the wrong bit.

Im a forty something carpet fitter that is just about coming to the end of usable knees :wink: . Ive been driving vans of various sizes since I was 17 so a driving job seems to be a way for me to cover the rest of my working life. I`m not naive enougth to think the transition from big van to a cat c vehicle would be easy but I really enjoy a challenge and driving a large goods vehicle appeals to me.

My main concern is although friends, who are lgv drivers, say companies are crying out for drivers are they only really crying out for experienced drivers? Not someone who`s newly qualified.

I`m about to book an assessment drive just to get a taste but the thought of commiting myself to spending ÂŁ1500 or so to gain a cat c licence and cpc card only to struggle to get work due to lack of experience may be a hurdle to great.

If anybody has been through the same dilema I would be very interested to hear your views.

Many thanks in advance

Dan

Every one of us ! , although because of the dcpc and rime of year getting a start is slightly easier . The license pays for itself but first 1 -2 years can be a struggle

Suggest you keep an eye on the many threads re agencies and work on the main drivers forum.

The most common view was that DCPC would cause a driver shortage, and there seemed to be some evidence of that earlier in the year, however recent postings seem to show that demand is already starting to tail off, and this shouldn’t really be happening till the last week of the year, though much depends on area.

This for drivers who may well be past the first difficult stages of getting work.

One of my old mates was an ex carpet fitter, same as you, buggered knees saw him go lorry driving.

Getting experience has always been luck of the draw, invariably if you’re too choosy you’ll struggle at first, prepared to muck in a bit and not expect the cream terms and conditions immediately there’s a job for everyone.

I wouldn’t in your shoes be investing in a lorry licence until next year, see what happens after this Christmas, you have a secure job presumably, don’t suppose another 4 months will make a massive difference.

Why not sort out some CPC ( £250 approx) and a Digi card, and see if you can get some 7.5 tonne work, “■■■■ it and see” , if you like it then go for LGV “C” and then C+E in the new year ready for next years “driver shortage”
the whole process can take months to complete
(im guessing you have aquired rights)

:laughing: get laid professionally or just get felt :laughing:

:smiley: Thanks for the comments and advice really appreciate it.

I believe I do have aquired rights as I passed my car test in 88.

Certainly wouldn’t be fussy and I would be very happy to do the same route on a daily basis.
Few years left in my knees (I hope) so an lgv licence would be attained at my own pace