Driver shortage USA

thetruckersreport.com/swift- … 2-38592805

[urlhttp://www.thetruckersreport.com/swift-gets-black-eye-decides-to-try-paying-drivers-more/?utm_source=The+TruckersReport+Weekly+Newsletter+Recipients&utm_campaign=c090d00a22-Weekly_Newsletter_Test_Campaign1_25_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_de09ecb18a-c090d00a22-38592805][/url]

I hear that trucking the states is a lot different than it is here.

From what I have read on these forums and elsewhere, long distance trucking in the USA is a poor job unless you work for a premium employer (guess who is NOT looking for drivers). Paid by the mile, rules and regulations almost as bad as here (and different in every state) and no pay while waiting for the next load. Contrary to what most people think, the USA is behind us in many ways. Oh, and don’t forget that a large part of your wage goes on health insurance.

I might be wrong but wouldn’t you find it extremely tough to be able to move to the USA permanently from an EU country unless you had a highly skilled job (which trucking is not) and is in demand and can’t be filled by a US citizen. Unless you can get a sponsor which is not cheap, or enter the green card lottery I think the chances would be slim.

I understand the Mexicans are worse than eastern euros in terms of working for nothing so I doubt very much they’ll be recruiting over here.

I’ve got an American wife but I think it’s worse over there than over here. So I think ill stay put. People call the nhs but its mostly free and if you get sick over there with no insurance cover then your screwed.

Santa:
Oh, and don’t forget that a large part of your wage goes on health insurance.

Or “protection” as it is sometimes called.