Driver shortage or shunter shortage

Meet R I T A :smiley:
youtu.be/gzbPnaXSCbU

Impressive!
although the guy right at the end doesn’t seem overly convinced of the braking capabilities

got to wonder why, if the truck does it all, why bother fitting a steering wheel , dashboard, seats, etc etc in the first place, indeed it doesn’t actually need a cab at all.

Does it have to wait in the drivers waiting room and hand it’s keys in ? Does it pull off the pay when the ramp is still on ?

It’s probably easier to modify something they have already than to build something from the ground up, and there is also the option of manual control.

I reckon that in fifty years time, the massive majority of truck movements will be automated and our job won’t really exist any more, not that I’ll be bothered as I’ll be pushing up the daisies long before then.

It’s probably easier to modify something they have already than to build something from the ground up, and there is also the option of manual control

agreed Harry, my post was a bit tongue in cheek

certainly the future looks a bit closer, but cant see all the protective sensors and gadgets on the trailer surviving for long out on the road, nor the cowcatcher affair on the unit.

Does anyone doubt that eventually drivers will be redundant? or will there always be a place for one?

Whatever about this operating at an RDC, though it can’t drop and pickup trailers, it’ll never have a place on the roads.

It is easy to see that the shunters will be the first to go. Then the inter depot drivers, especially those delivering to production lines.

It seems unlikely to me that it will all be driverless - local deliveries, small loads, big oversize loads - it would be very expensive to automate everything.

What I can also see is the development of depots to take deliveries in a city centre - all loads delivered there and forwarded by electric trucks to the shops etc.

■■■■■■■ hell they will need one for each bay at our place the speed that there going, also who is going to connect all the lines up to the trailer, can’t see it myself just a gimik

also who is going to connect all the lines up to the trailer

a non hgv pleb on minmum wages :slight_smile:

Far to slow though, a shunter could of moved 3 trailers in that time.

not quite, SOME shunters could have moved 3 in that time :slight_smile:

del949:

also who is going to connect all the lines up to the trailer

an hgv pleb on minmum wages :slight_smile:

Corrected that for you

They won’t be able to run automated trucks as they’d be nobody for the management to use as a scapegoat for their own incompetence. :laughing:

The Romans had all of the knowledge and technology available to build steam railway engines, they just didn’t make the final leap.

All of the knowledge and technology is in place now to build driverless trucks, GPS, distance sensors etc , and I don’t think it will take 1,800 years to make the final leap this time, especially as driverless trucks already whizz around Mercedes-Benz’s test track all day, every day, getting better by the day…

Automatic lorrys being made as we speak,

Already non-human driven cars in USA in work

Good bye our jobs

it’s over length.
not legal, won’t catch on.

pigpen:
Meet R I T A :smiley:
youtu.be/gzbPnaXSCbU

This is why German workers are so productive - because they invest in technology and then let machines do a lot of the work for them, in a rationalised and automated way, and concentrate their own human efforts instead on doing high-skilled work that machines cannot.

The average British worker today, meanwhile, moans at the potential for redundancy because he is not willing to organise to protect his right to an income, or because he finds any reduction of hours intolerable due to the depths to which he has let his pay rate drop.

What guys in the print, for example, used to do, was that every time a new technology was introduced that eliminated the need for their labour, they said “oh, that’s great, that means we all get to collect our wages, but we can spend most of the 35-hour working week in the pub instead, because the machine is doing our job for us”.

But the average British trucker, I think he’d rather work an eternal 70-hour week for a pittance, than let a machine take over, which can do his work, can provide him with an income, and can give him some time for himself and his family.

voodoo1:

Good bye our jobs

Rubbish, they wouldn’t be any good at all with the work I do :smiley:

NewLad:
also who is going to connect all the lines up to the trailer, can’t see it myself just a gimik

I’m afraid that has already been covered by our German friends too:

youtube.com/watch?v=xM_vMXTh … re=related

voodoo1:

Good bye our jobs

No mate jobs safe the boss will never go down that way there wont be able to blame the driver :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:. For there mistakes, could you see the boss shouting at a computer.or asking to push it a bit the truck mite blow a fuse :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: