Driver shortage N Ireland?

I’m a Euro tramper so haven’t been around to see what the job front is like at home. So maybe some of the local lad could tell me, is it really that bad that agencies like Premiere People are looking for Class1 drivers who have NO experience?
BTW folks, Larne, Belfast, Mallusk, and Culcavey are DHL and Wincanton contracts

HGV 1 Drivers

Salary:
£8.50 - £11.50 p/h

Description:

HGV 1 DRIVERS REQUIRED URGENTLY FOR VARIOUS LOGISTIC CUSTOMERS BASED IN LARNE, MALLUSK, BELFAST AND CULCAVEY

PAY RATES FROM £8.50-£11.50 PER HOUR WITH HOLIDAY PAY AND TRAVEL EXPENSES

WHILST NO HGV 1 EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY CANDIDATES WILL HAVE TO CARRY OUT A FULL WRITTEN AND PRACTICAL DRIVING ASSESSMENT

Not much of a shortage then.

Speaking from experience over here in Northern Ireland drivers can basically pick and choose their jobs and work. Drivers are a rare commodity here, good drivers I mean. That’s why you see loads of 21 year olds flying about in big fancy trucks with all the trimmings.

£8.50-£11.50 = no driver shortage

I often wonder why agencies and others try to present holiday pay as some kind of perk which the employee should be grateful for, rather than something which they’re actually obliged to pay by law.

Interesting - I’m now tempted to go and do my C+E instead of doing a couple of years driving rigids. I passed my category C last month and I am seeing plenty of jobs advertised here in Northern Ireland. If anything, it’s nice being able to cherry pick instead of being forced to apply for the lowest paid and hardest work. I’m hoping to hear back from a couple of interviews I did last week that offered pretty decent terms.

Of course there’s driver shortage just now,its silage time,they’re all hoonin about in big New Hollands :wink: :laughing:

Out of curiosity, what’s the going rate in the Republic of Ireland?

I got chatting to someone from Ireland and he was moaning about not even being able to afford food due to the crappy €>£ rates. I noticed that parking at Beaconsfield Services is £25 or €40, I know it is about the same, but €40 is probably what a parking fine would be in France.

trubster:
Out of curiosity, what’s the going rate in the Republic of Ireland?

I got chatting to someone from Ireland and he was moaning about not even being able to afford food due to the crappy €>£ rates. I noticed that parking at Beaconsfield Services is £25 or €40, I know it is about the same, but €40 is probably what a parking fine would be in France.

The rate varies greatly in the Republic avoid firms with a lot of EE as you will be lucky to get 100 euro a day with more decent firms anything from 120 to 145 a day seems to be the average, but with the current exchange rate you will lose out massively. If you are UK based it is possible to negotiate to be paid in Sterling and make sure the rate stays fixed. Last year I was with a company who paid euros then moved to a company which is paying me in Sterling if I had stayed where I was would be down about £95 a week.

Mate “fell out” with my NI company last Thur 3pm and walked out the gate,
by 10am Fri morn he’d been to see Blair International/MorganMc and Mulgrew.

ALL offered starts ASAP and he starts with Mulgrew FT on Mon :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

peter s:
I’m a Euro tramper so haven’t been around to see what the job front is like at home. So maybe some of the local lad could tell me, is it really that bad that agencies like Premiere People are looking for Class1 drivers who have NO experience?
BTW folks, Larne, Belfast, Mallusk, and Culcavey are DHL and Wincanton contracts

HGV 1 Drivers

Salary:
£8.50 - £11.50 p/h

Description:

HGV 1 DRIVERS REQUIRED URGENTLY FOR VARIOUS LOGISTIC CUSTOMERS BASED IN LARNE, MALLUSK, BELFAST AND CULCAVEY

WHILST NO HGV 1 EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY CANDIDATES WILL HAVE TO CARRY OUT A FULL WRITTEN AND PRACTICAL DRIVING ASSESSMENT

Two words sum up those Premier agency contracts:
Pure DUNG :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Big Truck:

peter s:

HGV 1 Drivers

Salary:
£8.50 - £11.50 p/h

Description:

+1…that about sums it up,pish money for pish jobs.,all the tangs are on the grass for the next few months,and the mushroom brigade will start you if you can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time…the only relevant interview question to know the answer to is what boat you can go out on… :wink:

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:

peter s:

HGV 1 Drivers

Salary:
£8.50 - £11.50 p/h

Description:

+1…that about sums it up,pish money for pish jobs.,all the tangs are on the grass for the next few months,and the mushroom brigade will start you if you can walk and chew chewing gum at the same time…the only relevant interview question to know the answer to is what boat you can go out on… :wink:

We’ve 9 new Volvo sitting@ Dennisons (5 extra than we’ve got drivers)
Want a job DD999 :question:
All dayshift running
No RDC
All parking paid (Incl meals)
Book your own early boat home on Fri’s
No Weekend working
Coffee/tea offered@ every drop
Right side of £600home/week. :sunglasses:

Can you run legal DD999 :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Ref the shortage of Tangs on the trucks this time of year,
all over FB you’ll see they call it:

“Horned for grass” :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

ive seen them there al new and shiny…class plant right enough.i tried working for tosco a while ago,but couldnt hack the legality of it all.im happier doing trip dosh for the cowboys and not having to sit through a “debreif” about some minor pishy infringment as if it was a murder enquiry.im contemplating relocating to sweden for family reasons in a while and might try to find something over there,even running back to uk as i cant speak swedish.i cant stomache facebook,so i just never try to look at it as it just irritates me on sight.youve definately got a good job though.cream of the crop for over here.nice “window” of opperchancity for a good earner unless they torch the warehouse again… :astonished:

dieseldog999:
im contemplating relocating to sweden for family reasons in a while and might try to find something over there,even running back to uk as i cant speak swedish

You’ll be screwed over there because they don’t run bent and you couldn’t run straight if your life depended on it.

Big Truck:

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:

peter s:

HGV 1 Drivers

Salary:
£8.50 - £11.50 p/h

Description:

We’ve 9 new Volvo sitting@ Dennisons (5 extra than we’ve got drivers)
Want a job DD999 :question:
All dayshift running
No RDC
All parking paid (Incl meals)
Book your own early boat home on Fri’s
No Weekend working
Coffee/tea offered@ every drop
Right side of £600home/week. :sunglasses:

Can you run legal DD999 :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing:

Better than England :open_mouth:

Yeah a will take that job if the truck was based near to the glasgow area monday to friday thank you very much. :wink:

Conor:

dieseldog999:
im contemplating relocating to sweden for family reasons in a while and might try to find something over there,even running back to uk as i cant speak swedish

You’ll be screwed over there because they don’t run bent and you couldn’t run straight if your life depended on it.

looks lke the mogadon has worn off again…who rattled your cage then??..ive spoken to several scandanavians in the past who have a hands on outlook to getting somewhere that needs gotten to.(mostly seafood products),so just because the limit of your capacity is driving a 60 mile round trip every night to do nightshift trunking work that nobody else wants so that you can afford to live next door to a junkie drug dealer,then i wouldnt be in a hurry to cast aspersions about anyone elses work capacity…back to counting beans for you,an plobbing along in your wee h&s bubble of no hours contract life…

^^^^ ouch! ,