Driver security/self defence

Hi all just wondering if and what anyone uses or has ready to defend them selfs if the situation arises I.e someone trying to gain entry to your cab at night or indeed during the day? Presuming you are not Bruce lee…or like me self confessed as not really that “hard” haha…not really sure which way this could go but thought I’d put the question out there anyway.

If they want the load they can crack on… I don’t get paid enough to put myself at that risk.

Having said that I do try and park sensibly.

Here’s the keys crack on I’ve seen nothing

I keep a large crowbar at my side

security-discount.com/en/spraysDefence-

Dragon Black Cap, only 7.90eur for 100ml. Highly pressurised can will take someone down up to 2metres. Im pretty sure about defending myself one on one but attackers rarely work on their own and will always come tooled up. This stuff evens things up somewhat and doesnt do any physical harm to anyone.

They can have what they want from the trailer, thats insured. I keep the doors locked and so anyone coming through those means me harm. I will use whatever is to hand to defend myself. I keep a 4d maglite torch by my bunk for just this purpose. Why was it there? To do checks and thought needed to exit the vehicle to check whats happening. A perfectly reasonable “tool” to have on me, that I just happen to defend myself with. If you start going out with hammers/baseball bats your looking at assault

toonsy:
If they want the load they can crack on… I don’t get paid enough to put myself at that risk.

• 1 on that, I don’t get paid enough either to be a hero.
    However I have a baseball bat hung up for emergencies, in case anybody attempts to get into cab.
    (Also a ball just in case I’m pulled and it’s noticed by the law :wink: )

Mobile phone in my hand. But I wouldnt use it. I wouldnt want anyone to think I`m some sort of a grass.

robroy:

toonsy:

• 1 on that, I don’t get paid enough either to be a hero.
    However I have a baseball bat hung up for emergencies, in case anybody attempts to get into cab.
    (Also a ball just in case I’m pulled and it’s noticed by the law :wink: )

fanatics-intl.com/stores/fan … t0qavd_bwe

Provides extra proof as to the baseball hobby… :wink:

AndrewG:
https://www.security-discount.com/en/spraysDefence-

Dragon Black Cap, only 7.90eur for 100ml. Highly pressurised can will take someone down up to 2metres. Im pretty sure about defending myself one on one but attackers rarely work on their own and will always come tooled up. This stuff evens things up somewhat and doesnt do any physical harm to anyone.

Almost certainly illegal here. We have to allow ourselves to be beat up before calling the fuzz and amassing sufficient evidence to ensure conviction of the scoundrels…

Ball with baseball bat also makes your solicitors job alot easier.

On a serious note, wagon and load is the companys and customers property not mine. If I was in a situation regarding someone/organised crime group wanting both or either one, they can have it and the keys so far as Im concerned.

Wagons and loads can be replaced. If things go wrong in that sort of situation, you cant always go home to your family. Besides what would you really protecting - part of the company CEO’s bonus? He earns enough without me trying to be a hero on his behalf.

Do none of you have kitchen knives in your cab for making food? I’d rather be using a kitchen knife which I have a valid reason to have than a baseball bat which could get me in trouble…

ItsJoe:
Do none of you have kitchen knives in your cab for making food? I’d rather be using a kitchen knife which I have a valid reason to have than a baseball bat which could get me in trouble…

I reckon there would be more chance of ending up on a murder or manslaughter rap, by using a knife rather than a bat mate tbh.

The law allows you to use reasonable force to defend yourself. Middle of the night and someone is trying your handle, what do you do? The smart move is simply to drop your window an inch and find out what the score is. If you are intimidated or have genuine concerns for your safety, put all your lights on and sound your horn.

What you are trying to achieve is for any aggressor/s to simply scarper. Bit different if you are at lights with your drivers door unlocked. The surprise/shock of your door being opened and a weapon being presented to you at close quarters simply doesn’t give you sufficient time and/or space to plan a retaliation. In this instance you need to scamper over to the n/s door and simply exit.

Multiple aggressors/overwhelming numbers is simply academic.

One on one conflict is where the fight/flight scenario needs to be followed. Are you trained in any self defence or unarmed combat? If the answer is " no " then I would advise a conciliatory or even potentially submissive approach.
If you have some training behind you and/or you have the confidence to do so, decisive action MUST be taken. If your instinct is that an attack is imminent, you must act fast and commit to a rapid plan of action. A leg sweep is often the quickest way to gain control of the situation, once your attacker is down you have two choices; 1. Restrain or 2. Disable.

This is where you have to be careful within the law. Is it ’ reasonable ’ to kick an aggressor whilst down in order to prevent the person from recommencing an attack? My own view is that if a weapon such as a blade is involved, then disabling the attacker is a MUST.
If it is a simple handbags jobbie over a fuel pump break :laughing: , the law would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you for example, head butted someone :neutral_face:

If you land a blow and your opponent falls and busts his skull on a kerb, you could be looking at a murder or manslaughter case :open_mouth:

In most cases it is simply best to not get involved, but if you decide to do so (or have no choice), it MUST be decisive and measured.

ItsJoe:

Yes, a couple of good ones.

Keep whatever you want in your cab to defend yourself, I’ll take my chances in a court defending my use of pepper spray or tasers or caving someone’s dome in with a baseball bat (without ball) before I let someone harm me.

Firmly of the opinion that it’s better be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

A.

Edit: assuming this is someone attempting to get into the cab and not just handbags over some perceived slight.

commonrail:
I keep a large crowbar at my side

So at night, the cold steel reminds you of the missus’ warmth? :laughing:

Thanks for the replies I’ve accepted a job doing 3-4 nights out a week. I’ve done the odd night out here and there but never 3-4 or week and dont really like parking at services if I can help it so I think some kind of discreet if and when needed self defence tool will be in order.

robroy:

ItsJoe:

I reckon there would be more chance of ending up on a murder or manslaughter rap, by using a knife rather than a bat mate tbh.

There was a case a while back where a German driver stabbed two vermin at Wolverhampton who were trying to steal from him, one ended up dead and he walked away got off on self defence

robroy:

ItsJoe:

You hit somebody with a baseball bat and they die then you’re looking at manslaughter charges straight away as you can’t carry something purely for defensive purposes. With a knife, you have a valid reason to have it in your cab. With a baseball bat you don’t.

I would cr@p my pants and hopefully the smell would make them think twice. As for the load they can fill their boots as I certainly don’t get enough to get in their way.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk