Driver’s hours offenders face tougher penalties

DVSA sanctions = gov.uk/government/uploads/s … policy.pdf
Can anyone find a sanction for WTD breaches in that list because I cannot :question:

ROG:
DVSA sanctions = gov.uk/government/uploads/s … policy.pdf
Can anyone find a sanction for WTD breaches in that list because I cannot :question:

Ffs. Why do people to continue to harp on about wtd, it Ain’t going to happen, I cannot find any record of anybody in any Industry in Britain who has been prosecuted for breaking the wtd.

Anyway for company will much more cheap 300 penalty than sent drivers to hotel.From Friday till Monday need 3 day in hotel and it is comet that 100 quid plus extra mail,taxi,security for truck and more.

Nowt to worry about as far as I’m concerned because when I do go over it’s genuine and do a print out, which is once in a blue moon. Don’t break the rules in the first place and nothing’s changed for you.

Neverstress:
I’m afraid that £300 is not enough to stop the hauliers committing these offenses.

A friend of mine was in Sweden the other day and on his way through Denmark he came across a German driver who had been driving on someone else’s card,fine was approximately £18.000,yes 18 grand. Truck was not released until the full payment had gone through and the driver had taken his rest.
I bet it will take that haulier a few days to make that money back…

A danish driver he spoke to said that fines like that wasn’t uncommon,a week earlier they had stopped a polish HGV speeding,driver had installed a device to get around the tachograph.His company had to transfer nearly £30.000,yes 30 grand,to get the truck released and the exact fine would be calculated at a later date.They couldn’t do that so the truck stayed where it was,don’t know what the outcome was…

run a scrap truck…work till you get caught…let them impound the truck and walk away.
works the same way for running on ribena in cars ect…use it til your stopped…its impounded till you pay the 500 standard fine (same day payment) or let them keep it with accruing charges for recovery and storage,walk away and go and buy another runabout…cost effective for some

robroy:

Reef:

tachograph:
Looks like the UK are now starting to enforce this rule :unamused:

Good!

Why good ?
It’s a [zb] stupid rule I reckon.
So if you’re weekended you have to leave all your in cab facilities you have provided for your comfort and in theory sleep under the trailer …just to pacify a load of James Hunts who make up rules to justify their existence in their non jobs .
Good my arse .

Good because it seems to be one more step in the right direction of making UK mainland haulage less attractive to the EE companies and also to the shiny arsed company bean counters in our country who are prepared to chuck a few peanuts in their direction to do it. All I want is for UK haulage to be moved around by UK companies and also a pipe dream of UK hauliers moving the majority of the export too, There can’t be many cases of a UK based driver long weekended out in the UK surely? If there is then [zb] that company and [zb] that driver for being stupid enough to agree to do it, I know for a fact I’d never 45hr out in the UK and it’d have to be bloody good money to even consider a reduced 24hr too! And you wonder why the UK haulage industry is [zb]ed!

So yes, Good!
Your arse? ehhh, not so much…

shep532:

the nodding donkey:
Forget about the rules about taking a 45 hour in the cab. DVSA will be able to fine £300 for every infringement over the previous 28 days. :open_mouth:

Anybody who drove in Germany years ago will remember how keen the authorities were on checking all your previous records…

It’s not £300 for every infringement. It is UP TO £300 which is the current level of fine anyway.

So, 4h 56m driving without a valid break = £100. 11h 30m driving today = £300

At the moment there is also a cap of maximum of three penalties in a day. I suspect that cap will remain

I wonder if that has something to do with (Average driver’s endorsements=3 points) 3 further MAX number of penalties should still leave enough points to get home. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Assuming they are all 2’s and 3’s penalties themselves of course!)

You’ll be cap (and P45) in hand - if it doesn’t! :smiley:

I watched the 6pm news last night where a vosa said: Every driver has to take a 45 hour rest every week ( no mention of the reduced your allowed ) and said he should not spend it in the vehicle, every driver should be away from the vehicle.
Then on the 10.00 news was a film of Vosa issuing tickets for trucks parked in laybyes in kent…as many residents has been moaning about the mess left behind…no bins were present in the laybyes…and probably the same numpties who campaigned to stop a new 3000 truck park from being built…Nimby is what they call them. Now that the uk has implemented the no sleeping in your truck for a 45…no overnighting in a laybye ( including a 9/11 rest period…the job is well and truly done for…yet they wonder why theres a shortage of drivers, oldies cant wait to retire, and the youngsters think the job aint worth doing.
Its alright for others to say we want british work for british hauliers…we are all doing the same job…and foreign hauliers will always work in the uk…it aint gonna stop, but i feel sorry for the foreign hauliers/drivers now having no where to park without penalties…£300 fine if you park in a laybye… up to 3000 euro if your found to be taking a 45 in your truck ( dont know the fine in the uk ) and yet we all know there are no hotels anywhere near a truck route, and who is going to pay for that…on the continent the same rules apply so it affects all of us who are on international work…if we were organised, we could have united to stop these medling parasites from bringing in these rules, and at the same time get decent standards for this industry. I for one would love to see a transport stoppage across europe…but we all know that would never happen, but at least we could aske the governments in each country to sort out decent facilities for which to park, with integrated security, as its ok to keep fining drivers, yet not building any new facilities…STOP paying for parking in MSA`s is a start in the right direction.

truckyboy:
I watched the 6pm news last night where a vosa said: Every driver has to take a 45 hour rest every week ( no mention of the reduced your allowed ) and said he should not spend it in the vehicle, every driver should be away from the vehicle.
Then on the 10.00 news was a film of Vosa issuing tickets for trucks parked in laybyes in kent…as many residents has been moaning about the mess left behind…no bins were present in the laybyes…and probably the same numpties who campaigned to stop a new 3000 truck park from being built…Nimby is what they call them. Now that the uk has implemented the no sleeping in your truck for a 45…no overnighting in a laybye ( including a 9/11 rest period…the job is well and truly done for…yet they wonder why theres a shortage of drivers, oldies cant wait to retire, and the
youngsters think the job aint worth doing.
Its alright for others to say we want british work for british hauliers…we are all doing the same job…and foreign hauliers will always work in the uk…it aint gonna stop, but i feel sorry for the foreign hauliers/drivers now having no where to park without penalties…£300 fine if you park in a laybye… up to 3000 euro if your found to be taking a 45 in your truck ( dont know the fine in the uk ) and yet we all know there are no hotels anywhere near a truck route, and who is going to pay for that…on the continent the same rules apply so it affects all of us who are on international work…if we were organised, we could have united to stop these medling parasites from bringing in these rules, and at the same time get decent standards for this industry. I for one would love to see a transport stoppage across europe…but we all know that would never happen, but at least we could aske the governments in each country to sort out decent facilities for which to park, with integrated security, as its ok to keep fining drivers, yet not building any new facilities…STOP paying for parking in MSA`s is a start in the right direction.

Very good post
We only have our self to blame you could go into a 100 resons why
The bottom line is we work at the bottom of the pile and receive no respect from anyone
The restrictions just keep on coming and there is no one to fight our corner so they will just keep on walking all over us

Reef:

robroy:

Reef:

tachograph:

Good!

Why good ?
So if you’re weekended you have to leave all your in cab facilities you have provided for your comfort and in theory sleep under the trailer …just to pacify a load of James Hunts who make up rules to justify their existence in their non jobs .
Good my arse .

Good because it seems to be one more step in the right direction of making UK mainland haulage less attractive to the EE companies and also to the shiny arsed company bean counters in our country who are prepared to chuck a few peanuts in their direction to do it. All I want is for UK haulage to be moved around by UK companies and also a pipe dream of UK hauliers moving the majority of the export too, There can’t be many cases of a UK based driver long weekended out in the UK surely? If there is then [zb] that company and [zb] that driver for being stupid enough to agree to do it, I know for a fact I’d never 45hr out in the UK and it’d have to be bloody good money to even consider a reduced 24hr too! And you wonder why the UK haulage industry is [zb]ed!

So yes, Good!

I was going to make a few points to reply, but Truckyboy has said it all for me.

So UK hauliers get all the Euro traffic off the EEs, so what are your views on yourself and me not being able to sleep in our cabs ?
(seperately btw :smiley: )
It might be controversial and selfish, but I don’t really give a flying one if the cheapest haulier, whether EE or not gets work.
That is the nature of the beast of haulage, always has been always will be. :bulb: and usually what goes around comes around I have found in this job over the years.
So I don’t own a fleet of trucks so not my problem.
I’m more concerned about ■■■■ stupid rules and regulations such as this, (no, I no longer do weekenders as I’m UK only) that (could) make my job an even bigger pain in…you guessed it My Arse. :smiley:

Why has sleeping in cabs ‘at all’ and ‘no overnight parking in laybys’ been brought into this? My point only concerned the fact that a 45hr full weekend rest in cab will be fined can only be a good thing, not everything else all of you seem to want to add into the mix, or am I missing something? (other than, thank god, your arse!)

Reef:
Why has sleeping in cabs ‘at all’ and ‘no overnight parking in laybys’ been brought into this? My point only concerned the fact that a 45hr full weekend rest in cab will be fined can only be a good thing, not everything else all of you seem to want to add into the mix, or am I missing something? (other than, thank god, your arse!)

‘Sleeping in cabs at all’ is the main point aint it,… it’s been ‘brought into it’ by the fact that the powers that be are putting limitations into it.
If you me or anybody else wants to spend their time off in a cab with all the facilities, why should some 2at in a bureaucratic position tell them they should not.
As for your point about UK v EE hauliers getting work, this point in question is just a symptom and not the angle, direction, and means to attempt to try and change the situation as it is.

Not being funny mate but I think you need to re-read my posts, If my point had been about anything other than the 45hr fines then I’d agree with you for the most part, if the cheaper EE alternatives were suddenly more restricted in their practices i.e. not camping out over here for weeks at a time, then companies would maybe have to look towards homegrown hauliers more, whether the homegrown hauliers take the opportunity to stem the ever decreasing rates who knows, that’s a different debate altogether.

You make it sound like I want all EE’s frog marched to the boat at gunpoint and told never to return, I will reiterate one final time I am only discussing the 45hr weekending not what is or what may be or what one thing could lead to another.

from 1 November 2017, traffic examiners will issue fines of up to £300 to drivers who spend their full weekly rest break in their vehicle, in places where it causes a problem.

The above is a quote from the text in an email from DVSA about the new fines, the highlighted line on the end i think is curious, we seem to have a watered down version of the rules the Germans and the French are using.

So it seems if the 150 or so Waberers trucks that park up in Ashford truck will not be affected

Reef:

robroy:

Reef:

tachograph:

Good!

Why good ?
Good my arse .

So yes, Good!

Well they just register trucks in UK and keep moving.
In fact many of them already did, perhaps you did not notice yet.

msp:
Well they just register trucks in UK and keep moving.
In fact many of them already did, perhaps you did not notice yet.

WTF has where the truck is registered got to do with parking up for a 45hr?

And anyway if the trucks registered in the UK then it will be paying UK taxes at least that helps toward levelling the playing field or perhaps you did not notice that yet?

More information

gov.uk/government/news/driv … al-drivers

fingermissing:
More information

Good link. Thanks.
This bit jumped out at me.
"Crashes involving tired lorry drivers can be devastating. Almost a quarter of injuries in accidents involving lorries are fatal or serious.

About 40% of sleep-related accidents involve commercial vehicles.

According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), driving while tired may be responsible for:

1 in 5 of all accidents
up to a quarter of serious and fatal crashes".

40% of sleep related incidents involve trucks.

Franglais:

fingermissing:
More information

Good link. Thanks.
This bit jumped out at me.
"Crashes involving tired lorry drivers can be devastating. Almost a quarter of injuries in accidents involving lorries are fatal or serious.

About 40% of sleep-related accidents involve commercial vehicles.

According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), driving while tired may be responsible for:

1 in 5 of all accidents
up to a quarter of serious and fatal crashes".

40% of sleep related incidents involve trucks.

Be interesting to break that down further, and ascertain what sort of time of day or night most of those incidents happened, and whether the driver was on “unsociable hours” shifts. Also how many were actually CAUSED by the tiredness of the truck driver as opposed to a truck simply being involved or indeed the victim of a tired car driver.

As it affect me when abroad, i`ve been thinking a bit about this…but it depends on what country i am going to be parked up in… If i am due a 45 and in France for eg, i can pull into a services Friday night…come the same time Saturday night i have had 24, so stay at least until the morning…so thats around 36 hrs…but their laws prohibit me from driving on a sunday…not my fault…so i am forced to spend the next 24 at their request, and in doing so i have had more than thee required 45…this in my opinion is getting around the stupid rules they have enforced upon me. Another way is to take a 24 prior to the weekend… then park up on a saturday night, and move off again sunday night 10 pm…therefore Flumaxed them once again…no good if your an EE and waiting for a back load or forward one for that matter…but like i say it depends on what country…Belgium is a no no, as they dont have a sunday ban…Holland is ok to park…at the moment…Germany NO…France NO and the eastern bloc…do what you like… what dya think about that…or better still get a hotel at the bosses expense, i am sure they all know whats happening…so before one leaves the depot, is to ask the boss, planners…t/m etc…dya want a big fine…or shall i get a hotel…the answer depends on which way your gonna go…at least on the continent most services have a hotel attached…and its still gonna take up a parking space whatever you choose. just means the rates will increase.