Driver on fire

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca … e-35557928

Hankins not having a good time lately: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be … s-35360082
Thoughts are with everyone involved and hope the driver makes a speedy recovery.

Easily done. Easily avoided by looking up but this can be easily forgot especially when you’re watching your mirrors so your load doesn’t spill onto somewhere it shouldn’t.
Looks like the driver involved must’ve been cleaning the tailgate out or letting some residue fall out.

why was he trying to tip it there 50 yards further up its clear?

extrucker:
Hankins not having a good time lately: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be … s-35360082
Thoughts are with everyone involved and hope the driver makes a speedy recovery.

Or he could’ve reversed it out? :unamused: Crack on drive!

As to the first link, hope the driver is okay. But what was he tipping? There’s no load in the box and none on the floor :confused:

It seems a bit weird but equally unfortunate. There’s nothing in the body or on the floor behind, and he’s tipped the body at the only place on that road where there are overhead wires!!

Agency?

I’ve got nil experience on tippers, but is it poss it was a case of being left up by mistake, driver made the connection (no pun intended) at the last moment, hit the brakes, but was electrocuted whilst exiting the vehicle/touching the door frame which was charged etc?

Javiatrix:
I’ve got nil experience on tippers, but is it poss it was a case of being left up by mistake, driver made the connection (no pun intended) at the last moment, hit the brakes, but was electrocuted whilst exiting the vehicle/touching the door frame which was charged etc?

That`s that sorted then. What did he have for breakfast?

A fry up.

Muckaway:
Easily done. Easily avoided by looking up but this can be easily forgot especially when you’re watching your mirrors so your load doesn’t spill onto somewhere it shouldn’t.
Looks like the driver involved must’ve been cleaning the tailgate out or letting some residue fall out.

It looks to be the case doesn’t it? So easily done, even with a six or eight wheeled rigid. We had a couple that were hit by power that jumped from overhead cables to the body, both were a distance away from the actual cables. Driver’s survived ok as they leapt out without touching anything metal, Steve ‘Sparky’ Skinner had it happen on his own Foden when tipping in a bay at a works and I believe that it blew every tyre and brake diaphragm off.

Pete.

windrush:

Muckaway:

It looks to be the case doesn’t it? So easily done, even with a six or eight wheeled rigid. We had a couple that were hit by power that jumped from overhead cables to the body, both were a distance away from the actual cables. Driver’s survived ok as they leapt out without touching anything metal, Steve ‘Sparky’ Skinner had it happen on his own Foden when tipping in a bay at a works and I believe that it blew every tyre and brake diaphragm off.

Pete.

That what happened to one of ours on a farm not long ago.

If he had worn his hiviz and rubber flip flops, the accident would not have happened .

It happened to a Smiths driver too a few years ago. He was delivering to a firm building a menage. He tipped on the formation level, came up onto the field level and the raised body tpuched some cables. It tripped out a substation nearby but the front tyres blew off, wrecking the wheels and brake drums. Spookily it left a cartoon style lightning bolt mark down the tipper ram. Electric board held the contractor responsible as there were no candy poles or danger signs.

Just re read the report. An eyewitness claims the driver was outside of the vehicle “when it struck the cables.” If that’s the case then the driver’s broken a cardinal rule of tipping; Never leave the cab while the body is raising.

He was just outside block fen quarry so must have been cleaning out his body before loading, there used to be a layby further up the lane where he could have done this and miss the power lines but the last time I went it was all coned off.

I can see the h and s knobs banning the “dangerous practice” of leaving bodies raised. I hope they remember to lift the ban on climbing into the tippers to clean out or a lot of mills will end up with added minerals in their flour…Or premix plants growing wheat in their sand bays.

johnboy76:
He was just outside block fen quarry so must have been cleaning out his body before loading.

I bet he ‘Cleaned out his body’ all right when he first got the initial shock of what was happening :smiley:

Sorry I should not make a joke of it :blush: :unamused: , I hope the lad is ok. :neutral_face:

robroy:

johnboy76:
He was just outside block fen quarry so must have been cleaning out his body before loading.

I bet he ‘Cleaned out his body’ all right when he first got the initial shock of what was happening :smiley:

Sorry I should not make a joke of it :blush: :unamused: , I hope the lad is ok. :neutral_face:

:laughing: :laughing: (sorry) :grimacing:

Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the casualty was out of the vehicle upon arrival. It said the cause was “accidental”.

Thats what probably did it, getting out to have a look instead of getting on the blower to the emergency services.

Rule 1. Never get out of the vehicle until someone confirms the power is off. Whilst you are in the vehicle you are isolated from ground. As soon as you get out and your foot touches the floor, if you’re still holding onto the vehicle all that current flows through you.