Driver off with Covid - drive his vehicle?

I think that the act of engaging a gear and moving would have a greater chance of killing you than Covid.

Noremac:
I have been going into an office every day for months where the staff behind the counter wear no masks and the majority of the drivers coming in are wearing masks. Essentially if anyone in the office had Covid everyone else in there would have it I would imagine. Working in a cab that was occupied by someone that might have had Covid isn’t as high risk.

Funny you say that about offices. My lot were fairly slow on it all but eventually put a screen up to segregate drivers who all had to wear masks from the office staff who didn’t. Eventually someone in there caught it and then they all eight of them caught it - nobody died but one is still off work now having been in intensive care and it’s been a good few months and another is still not right.

I’m facing the ■■■■ annoying prospect of getting in ‘‘my’’ (inverted commas for benefit of agency daymen) truck in morning after hearing a smoker has used it :smiling_imp: it won’t be going out of yard if stinking,that’s a nailed on cert.
Not until after I have spent at least 2 hours taking duvet and curtains home to wash,.and a clean out.
Think I’d prefer the Covid infested truck if I’m honest. :neutral_face:
:smiley:

Roymondo:

RD7:
But you’re all still here & alive?!!
I’d say ‘chinese flu. The tests are too sensitive and will tell you you have Covid even if you still have some viral load from a past cold. My point is, it was never the fatal pandemic that we were told it would be. Where are the bodies in the streets??
No more died than ANY other year in the past ten. We have all been lied to…

608,000 people died in England and Wales in 2020. That’s over 75,000 more than the previous year, and at least 65,000 more than any year this century. It is in fact the second highest annual deaths figure since 1838 (the only higher figure being 1918 - at the height of a pandemic…). These figures relate only to people who died in this country - soldiers etc killed overseas in wartime are not included.

So yes, I think you may well have been lied to.

Ah…

But that isnt the whole picture. The previous year there were very few deaths from flu as the vaccine was nailed. It was also warmer than average and many that would normally have died in 2019 actually died in 2020…

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

RD7:
I’d say ‘chinese flu. The tests are too sensitive and will tell you you have Covid even if you still have some viral load from a past cold. My point is, it was never the fatal pandemic that we were told it would be. Where are the bodies in the streets??

608,000 people died in England and Wales in 2020. That’s over 75,000 more than the previous year, and at least 65,000 more than any year this century. It is in fact the second highest annual deaths figure since 1838 (the only higher figure being 1918 - at the height of a pandemic…). These figures relate only to people who died in this country - soldiers etc killed overseas in wartime are not included.

Ah…

But that isnt the whole picture. The previous year there were very few deaths from flu as the vaccine was nailed. It was also warmer than average and many that would normally have died in 2019 actually died in 2020…

Irrelevant. The assertion was that deaths were no higher than the previous 10 years. When clearly they were higher. Much higher. There’s a useful article here bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n896 that highlights just how much higher the death figures were in 2020 when compared to the last 100-odd years, even when you make allowances for population growth etc. Bear in mind that these deaths occurred despite the imposition of lockdown/social distancing etc etc. ■■■■ knows what the figures would have been had we all carried on as normal, as it was “only the flu”.

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

RD7:

Ah…

Irrelevant. The assertion was that deaths were no higher than the previous 10 years. When clearly they were higher. Much higher. There’s a useful article here bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n896 that highlights just how much higher the death figures were in 2020 when compared to the last 100-odd years, even when you make allowances for population growth etc. Bear in mind that these deaths occurred despite the imposition of lockdown/social distancing etc etc. [zb] knows what the figures would have been had we all carried on as normal, as it was “only the flu”.

Errr.

The guy who made that point did so on Radio Four - and was a professor of infectious diseases.

Hardly irrelevant methinks!

I took to wearing two pairs of gloves when working, outer gloves and cotton inner gloves. I don’t touch anything with my bare hands on vehicles anymore and drive with gloves on. I still wear a mask when in contact with others and will continue to do so. It has become less about Covid now and more about protective hygiene.

Ironically I was talking to an agency guy yesterday and they were telling me that despite vaccines, lots of drivers are refusing point blank to do double manned runs due to potential Covid risks. It still out there and going to be out there for a long time yet. It is up to the individual as to how they keep themselves safer.

You should wear 3 pairs of gloves and another mask. You can never be too safe!

DCPCFML:
You should wear 3 pairs of gloves and another mask. You can never be too safe!

I actually think 99 percent of truck drivers look far better with masks on. Also stops people making positive ID’s…

The BBC earlier reported that in 2020 deaths from heart disease, cancer and particularly suicide skyrocketed. Obviously they tacked this on at the opposite end of the daily Covid carnage figure.

I wonder if any of these skewed the official figures?

robroy:
I’m facing the [zb] annoying prospect of getting in ‘‘my’’ (inverted commas for benefit of agency daymen) truck in morning after hearing a smoker has used it :smiling_imp:
:smiley:

Didn`t you ring him up on the cab phone whilst you where relaxing on your jollies threatening him with a vengeful fate if he even ruffled your duvet, let alone smoked in the cab :wink:

Truckulent:
Errr.

The guy who made that point did so on Radio Four - and was a professor of infectious diseases.

Yes, irrelevant. Influenza kills fewer than 2000 people a year. The figure was down by a couple of hundred in 2019.

But even that detail is irrelevant. The assertion was that deaths were “no higher” than in any of the preceding 10 years. But they were. By several tens of thousands.

Roymondo:

Truckulent:
Errr.

Yes, irrelevant. Influenza kills fewer than 2000 people a year. The figure was down by a couple of hundred in 2019.

But even that detail is irrelevant. The assertion was that deaths were “no higher” than in any of the preceding 10 years. But they were. By several tens of thousands.

You’ve missed the point I’m afraid. Influenza wasnt the only factor causing fewer deaths.

At least, you clearly think you know more about it than a professor, so that in itself tells me not to waste my time further… [emoji1787]

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:
Errr.

You’ve missed the point I’m afraid. Influenza wasnt the only factor causing fewer deaths.

At least, you clearly think you know more about it than a professor, so that in itself tells me not to waste my time further… [emoji1787]

Influenza “causing fewer deaths” (How the ■■■■ does that work?) is indeed irrelevant, regardless of qualifications or experience. The assertion was that deaths were “no higher” than in any of the preceding 10 years. But they were. Significantly so.

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:
Errr.

Influenza “causing fewer deaths” (How the [zb] does that work?) is indeed irrelevant, regardless of qualifications or experience. The assertion was that deaths were “no higher” than in any of the preceding 10 years. But they were. Significantly so.

As I said. Spectacularly misunderstanding the point…Perhaps you should join the medical team advising the government and you can argue with the professor directly. I’m sure he’d value an HGV driver’s analysis.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree I’m afraid.
Have a nice evening…[emoji106][emoji41]

Well … the story goes … he went out with a couple of mates on Saturday night, on Sunday they both decided to have tests that were positive so he to have a test taking off Monday and then Tuesday waiting for the result, that was surprisingly negative. I drove his lorry today, he’s back tomorrow and won’t be able to use that one for his next Sunday night ■■■■ up!

DCPCFML:
There is no covid. Turn off your television set.

Would rather listen to government health advisors and medical professionals than take medical advice from you. This has just convinced me more that Covid really is an issue. You cannot even give advice on driving issues so what makes you a world health expert.

the maoster:
The BBC earlier reported that in 2020 deaths from heart disease, cancer and particularly suicide skyrocketed. Obviously they tacked this on at the opposite end of the daily Covid carnage figure.

I wonder if any of these skewed the official figures?

I would like to see those reported figures and their source?
The BBC reports many things but doesn’t collect raw data itself. If someone was claiming those death causes were increasing they might report that as a claim. That doesn’t mean it’s true.
ONS suicide figures not yet available for 2020.
ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar … 020and2021
Even if the number of suicides doubled (each one a tragedy) thst would still be a fraction of COVID deaths.

UK cancer deaths in 2016 to 2018 were about 166,000.
cancerresearchuk.org/health … for-the-uk
Again an increase in cancer deaths, (again no hard stats yet) is obviously terrible thing, but unfortunately seems to be inevitable because of the scale of COVID.

4,000 fewer people died of ischaemic heart disease in 2020 than 2019.
ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar … dalzherven quicker, imersanddementia2016to2020

Patients may very well be having worse treatment because of COVID restrictions. Deaths from those diseases may increase, but dropping restrictions would mean those with cancer and heart disease would die even sooner of COVID spread more.

And some think that North Koreans are the brain washed ones.

osark:
And some think that North Koreans are the brain washed ones.

Yep.
They are told by the Great Leader that covid isn’t a problem and they are battered by a state propaganda machine until they believe that. They are not offered all the facts and alternative sources.
What excuse have the COVID deniers here?