Driver nicks diesel

There used to be saying “Little and often”. I think there was a bit more to it but I can’t recall it at present.

peirre:
I S’pose we all know one who’s pinching stuff and thinks it’s ok, personally I wouldn’t even consider doing it as I’d be spiting myself and ultimately it’s the hand that feeds me. A couple of drivers I know have been sacked over the years for fuel thefts. The first was having a garage/extension built at home, and had one of the lads from the pub come round with a JCB to dig out the footings, so he stole some Cherry out of the belly tank, but he did it too close to the depot and a manager was driving past and spotted him doing it. The 2nd worked for a local company who allowed their drivers to draw fuel from the company pumps at cost price and pay the bill out of their wages, he got to greedy and was filling up the family cars at night and denied drawing the additional fuel.

robroy:

peirre:
Burners of Blowham (some of us will remember the incident from years ago) don’t have a great reputation when it comes to treatment of their drivers

Maybe that’s why he did it.
Ok it doesn’t justify it, but it goes a long way to explain it,. In a …
‘‘I’ll.get those f…rs back for all this crap’’ kind of way.
And then he got caught.

I’m not trying to justify the theft of the fuel, the driver was too stupid to realise that companies monitor their fuel usage and deserved the punishment.
However the company has never had a good reputation for looking after their employees hence my comment

Yep , like I said, I wasn’t justifying it either, but if the firm treats him like ■■■■, in a way, you can kinda see why he went down that route, albeit a misguided way of getting revenge.

I ain’t the biggest fan of the crew I work for with all the unnecessary crap and aggravation that is filtered down to us, no love towards them, no alliegance, I’m pure mercenary,… but I certainly wouldn’t think of nicking diesel :unamused: … and if I did they would suss it out, but the main and primary reason is, I ain’t a thief ! :bulb:

If you are treated like crap you either just get on with it or jack.
I put up with a lot because the actual job and shift pattern suits me down to the ground, so I still. give 100% despite the b/s,.and just deflect it best I can…with a lot of tongue biting. , but defo no thieving. :smiley:

Back in the 70s/80s I used to operate 4 trucks,one of which I drove myself.One worked for a container company which provided fuel for hauliers with an individual key.My driver was not only fiddling fuel from his own truck he was letting other hauliers fill up using my key.I’ was insulted that he had a truck which only did 5 mpg instead of 10 when he was driving it ,and thinking i wouldn’t notice.
Another grumble is why do drivers think my truck is a personal taxi just because they drive it for work purposes?

Because they think they’re doing you a favour just by turning up :laughing:

People used to ask me to do guvvy jobs for them with the hiab truck I used for work. The easiest way to get out of being put upon was to ask them if they were prepared to pay for any burst hoses and the call out fees if it went ‘Pete Tong’ on the guvvy job, then show them an invoice from Pirtek :open_mouth: to drive the point home.

Sometimes I think very basic business studies should be part of the national curriculum, most people look at prices for a job and have no clue that it’s not all profit :unamused:

Gidders:
Back in the 70s/80s I used to operate 4 trucks,one of which I drove myself.One worked for a container company which provided fuel for hauliers with an individual key.My driver was not only fiddling fuel from his own truck he was letting other hauliers fill up using my key.I’ was insulted that he had a truck which only did 5 mpg instead of 10 when he was driving it ,and thinking i wouldn’t notice.
Another grumble is why do drivers think my truck is a personal taxi just because they drive it for work purposes?

I could write a book on that stuff. :unamused:
Bear in mind I used to let them take their units home at weekends as long as they had suitable parking.
One was seen parking his unit on the riverbank while he went fishing on a Sunday

Another time me and the Mrs were going to Tesco, we saw my unit,.driver and his wife coming out of the car park after using unit to go get their weekly shop.

Another left his wife,.so I got a call off her telling me how I had been paying for the diesel in their car for God knows how long as an act of revenge.

Met another in a pub up the town one Sat night, with his girlfriend, they invited me back to a party at their flat, I was looking in a cupboard for some glasses, to see said .cupboard rammed with my truck cleaning products.

After saying that I did have a couple of real good lads ,.and I got rid of the first two.

robroy:

Gidders:

I could write a book on that stuff. :unamused:

After saying that I did have a couple of real good lads ,.and I got rid of the first two.

I got rid of all mine.Too much time and effort dealing with them.A lot less stress as an owner operator but i found out a lot too late from other hauliers/drivers. “Did so and so used to work for you? The stuff he got up to.”
Robroy and I will have to collaborate on an in depth report on this subject.

Not being funny but surely if you are going to rob diesel you would do it out the actual main tank.

As like people have said the fridge will usually use about the same amount. So more chance of getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newstart90:
Not being funny but surely if you are going to rob diesel you would do it out the actual main tank.

As like people have said the fridge will usually use about the same amount. So more chance of getting caught.

Trucks tend to have telemetry that tells how much fuel goes through the injectors which is quite easy to compare to how much goes into the actual fuel tank. Fridges on the other hand traditionally ran on red diesel and were not monitored for usage.

Perhaps now that they run on white diesel it may be different, I don’t know.

fingermissing:
A driver for turner’s has been found guilty of nicking red diesel from his trailer.

“Randall, of Friars Garth, Abbeytown, had committed no previous crimes during five to six years in the UK. A record from New Zealand showed four previous dishonesty offences.”

nwemail.co.uk/news/23166400 … occasions/

waddy640:
There used to be saying “Little and often”. I think there was a bit more to it but I can’t recall it at present.

This is how it should be done youtube.com/watch?v=5GhnV-6 … gforlife18

the maoster:

Newstart90:

Trucks tend to have telemetry that tells how much fuel goes through the injectors which is quite easy to compare to how much goes into the actual fuel tank. Fridges on the other hand traditionally ran on red diesel and were not monitored for usage.

Perhaps now that they run on white diesel it may be different, I don’t know.

They’re on about replacing the diesel refrigeration units & fitting a PTO which is used to drive a generator to enable the fridge motor to run off a electro-hydraulic package that enables diesel refrigeration units to be run electrically, with zero emissions… commercialfleet.org/fleet-m … put-on-ice

When I was doing the emulsion job for Hoyer we always carried a 5l container of diesel to clean the tools & hoses. There were many comments from other drivers at the pumps when they saw me fill this along with the tank, especially at the start of the season when one unit would go down with all the containers and fill them. We’ve even had fuel stations turn off the pump when we’ve tried to fill the containers.

Newstart90:

Good tip, thanks [emoji106]

Is someone overdoing it? I’ve just watched traffic reports on teletext and there must be at least 6 or 7 motorway service areas that have run out of fuel at the lorry pumps.

Gidders:
Is someone overdoing it? I’ve just watched traffic reports on teletext and there must be at least 6 or 7 motorway service areas that have run out of fuel at the lorry pumps.

All BP

id think most firms would lay a trap if they suspected it.I remember going on a training course and when it was break time we gathered outside .On a wall nearby lay a fancy gold lighter one lad picked it up till someone pointed out there was cctv

simcor:
Oh well as he didn’t have a particularly high income then it’s ok to steal red diesel then.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

His lawyer would have told him to say something like that - the judge likes to hear them grovel.

fingermissing:
An agency lorry driver who stole thousands of pounds in red diesel to heat his family home

Yes, yes, of course :slight_smile: to keep his 3 infant children from freezing to death in October

Btw where do you even get red diesel, we’re told to fill up our fridge trailers with regular diesel and I’ve not seen any ‘‘special’’ diesel at any services I’ve been to

Zac_A:
The problem with most people who indulge in things like this is that they get caught because they’re greedy and too stupid to realise that nicking 25+L at a time is going to stand out when compared to same-run-different-driver.

A guy I used to work with successfully stole diesel (from the truck we shared!) for over three years by keeping it down to 10 litres a day, every day. Over a 300 or 400 mile journey such amounts can be simply down to driving-style differences as has already been pointed out. He didn’t get caught, he told me in person when I bumped into him one day outside work, after he’d moved on to a different company.

Not true some drivers will barely fill up (stop at the first click) but other like myself I pull the nozzzle back a little and keep filling up. It can take another 50l+ easily as for the fridge tank it’s even worse because most drivers don’t even bother filling up and the gauge can show full but still take 20l. Some days I do a single run and end up putting 90-100l into the fridge because no one else bothered filling it up for a week or more

ETS:
Btw where do you even get red diesel, we’re told to fill up our fridge trailers with regular diesel and I’ve not seen any ‘‘special’’ diesel at any services I’ve been to

You could still use red diesel in fridge trailers up until 1st April 2022 and most of the offending took place before then. I would imagine that a company such as Turners which runs a lot of fridge trailers would have had a dedicated tank in the yard but most large truckstops sold it.

ETS:

Zac_A:
The problem with most people who indulge in things like this is that they get caught because they’re greedy and too stupid to realise that nicking 25+L at a time is going to stand out when compared to same-run-different-driver.

A guy I used to work with successfully stole diesel (from the truck we shared!) for over three years by keeping it down to 10 litres a day, every day. Over a 300 or 400 mile journey such amounts can be simply down to driving-style differences as has already been pointed out. He didn’t get caught, he told me in person when I bumped into him one day outside work, after he’d moved on to a different company.

Not true

What’s not true? That nicking 25L at a time is stupid? Or that it wouldn’t be noticed due to driving style differences?
Fact is it wasn’t noticed over a period of several years.