Driver Negligence - Agency

Just passed my class one and have been talking to agencies about potential work (Aware its the quiet period before anyone pipes up, just lining things up) and I am constantly being told there is no chance of work without 2 years provable experience because of the restriction of driver negligence insurance. Only agencies interested are the dodgy ones who will promise the world and come up with nothing but bad work that nobody wants to do.

Had this problem with class 2 work at the beginning. But it soon disappeared when they got desperate near xmas - big surprise - the usual suspects always want multidrop drivers to handball 20+ drops a day. They just seem more insistent with class 1 that its never going to happen. Most are advising taking class 2 work with a company that has class one vehicles and talking the transport manager into giving me a chance.

The question is has anyone else come up against this, and could you get around it. Is this driver negligence problem real or is it just an excuse.

Want to stay on agency work because it suits me, they pay is better and i have a limited company so can work less due to the tax efficiency - prefer to work more for myself and less for the government.

I would have the same problem, even though I started on class one in 1979, but I haven’t driven anything bigger than a sprinter for 3 years.

Anyway I have been in the transport industry for longer than that, and I know a few people. :wink:

lies.jpeg

calsdad:
Just passed my class one and have been talking to agencies about potential work (Aware its the quiet period before anyone pipes up, just lining things up) and I am constantly being told there is no chance of work without 2 years provable experience because of the restriction of driver negligence insurance. Only agencies interested are the dodgy ones who will promise the world and come up with nothing but bad work that nobody wants to do.

Had this problem with class 2 work at the beginning. But it soon disappeared when they got desperate near xmas - big surprise - the usual suspects always want multidrop drivers to handball 20+ drops a day. They just seem more insistent with class 1 that its never going to happen. Most are advising taking class 2 work with a company that has class one vehicles and talking the transport manager into giving me a chance.

The question is has anyone else come up against this, and could you get around it. Is this driver negligence problem real or is it just an excuse.

Want to stay on agency work because it suits me, they pay is better and i have a limited company so can work less due to the tax efficiency - prefer to work more for myself and less for the government.

As you have realised, it is all about supply and demand and this varies depending on several factors: time of year and where you live being the two big ones. In quiet times and quiet areas, the agencies can get away with whatever ‘requirements’ they like.

When I lived in the North East I continually came up against the ‘two year rule’. Now I live in Essex I hardly hear it.

In quiet times/areas, there will always be ‘someone’ who will take the crap jobs for crap money whether it is Class 1 or 2. You just need to decide if you are that ‘someone’.

But do you need to use agencies? Many new licence holders seem to think agencies are their only option. Can you find yourself a proper Class 2 job with a firm that also runs Class 1 vehicles, and make the transition gradually?

The world of new licence holders doesn’t start and finish with agencies.

All the best with the challenge.

Alan

I passed my class 2 in December 2013 and signed up with three agencies all stated largely the same as you have posted on here.

So I considered the positives and negatives of beginning HGV driving using agencies and decided to apply to local companies who needed HGV drivers and managed to be offered a job driving class 2 trucks, concrete mixer, 8W tippers and they also have artics for when I eventually pass my C+E.
I grabbed the offer with both hands as I have avoided the hassle of being fobbed off with vans, 7.5 ton and multidrop not to mention refuse trucks and skip trucks (both of which I did not really wish to drive, my personal preference you understand). Plus I am earning more per hour than I was offered by the agencies with the possibility of plenty of overtime.

I have just completed my first week and it’s been very good, much to learn as expected though helpful, friendly and welcoming and the real learning to drive HGV’s has begun.

So I’ve proven to myself that it can be done in lean times and agencies are arguably not the best route into driving HGV’s as they told me afterwards that there was no way that they could have offered me any where near the what I am now doing because of, yes you guessed “no experience!”

As i run a van i had this conversaion about this insurance with my broker which they said the only way you can insure you self against negligence is to insure the vehicle you are driving and i couldn’t do that as i don’t have an licence. Im waiting for an angcey to ring me back from Wednesday as they said they would have to look in to this. Personally i think its a case of the acgency agrees to pay the higher excess or excess of the company should there driver have an accident. As far as i can find out this insurance doesn’t exsist

Think I am having to go the route of finding a job. It’s not what i want to do for a variety of reasons, but can see no other way to get experience.

Problem is money is a lot worse; but better than not working. Its the thought of working more for less money, given it is regular money.

In my area class one work is rarely less than £10 often £11/£12 sometimes more. Employed jobs are £7.50 to £9 Some are more but opportunities are rare as most drivers have been there years. This on top of the fact i use a limited company for tax efficency.
50 hours employed = £380 take home on the better rates.
50 hours agency = £490 take home
Way bigger difference than the holiday pay effect.

Trying to accept i will have to accept 2 years of worse pay to get to where i want to be.