Driver killed at Seaforth Docks 6/9/12

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source … dzJ-iGFyGw

Another driver killed whilst doing his job. Was told about this incident tonight by someone who does a bit of work with Reid Atkinson. Driver was loading out of Cargills G3 in Liverpool and went on weighbridge overloaded from what I was told. Went back into the shed to tip of excess and while stood between the back of the trailer and the heap of soya either the heap subsided or the soya from the trailer came out of the back door of his trailer and buried him. This is all I’ve been told so apologies if you were there and no different.

RIP old boy.

RIP Drive, another 1 lost just doing his job :cry:

gee’s that bad our lot are in and out of there daily not heard anything but was finished early

if it’s true condolences to the family :cry:

Definitely true as its in the link in the post. I would think its the heap that’s subsided as there is probably just a 30-40 foot wall of soya in the heaps and it is constantly being undermined by the shovels to make it drop. I won’t be going near a heap of soya again!

xfmatt:
Definitely true as its in the link in the post. I would think its the heap that’s subsided as there is probably just a 30-40 foot wall of soya in the heaps and it is constantly being undermined by the shovels to make it drop. I won’t be going near a heap of soya again!

ye sorry didnt read the link well that’s it you wont be allowed out of your cab in the sheds, but them piles are dangerous they run like water when they start to move

Terrible shame, knew him from when he used to drive the transporter when willie taylors of skipton had stock cars, really nice bloke, will be missed, he had worked for Reid Atki`s for a lot of years, R.I.P big Malc, condolences to his family. :frowning:

not sure IF WHAT I HEARD TODAY IS TRUE he was working his last week with the firm apparently takeing early retirment :cry:

VERY sad indeed

I know it’s the Daily Mail so no doubt most of it is ■■■■■■■■ but this story gives some detail:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … yside.html

Paul

repton:
I know it’s the Daily Mail so no doubt most of it is ■■■■■■■■ but this story gives some detail:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … yside.html

Paul

Most of it is ■■■■■■■■ Paul. The picture is of Cargills crushing plant (Bioco) on dock road whereas the accident happened in a shed at G3. They say he was working in a grain silo, which he wasn’t. They just make crap up as they go along to glamorise the story.

xfmatt:
Most of it is ■■■■■■■■ Paul. The picture is of Cargills crushing plant (Bioco) on dock road whereas the accident happened in a shed at G3. They say he was working in a grain silo, which he wasn’t. They just make crap up as they go along to glamorise the story.

Yep I pointed out to the Mrs that the photo was of Brocklebank and not Seaforth, and several of the other errors in the story. The second photo is of the right place though…

Paul

repton:

xfmatt:

Yep I pointed out to the Mrs that the photo was of Brocklebank and not Seaforth, and several of the other errors in the story. The second photo is of the right place though…

Paul

I’m not trying to blame anyone in particular but, (to those who load soya meal there) how many times have you told the shovel driver 2 1/2 tons & while looking at your weigher gestured him to slow down for the last ton, then while trickling the last half ton the driver gets ‘brassed off’ & drops the lot in shooting past your max weight & leaving you to drop some back off??

I would normally drop any excess off (if sent back from the weighbridge) in the side that’s not working, normally right in the middle & let them sort it!!

RIP ‘drive’!!

Ross.

When collecting salt from winsford, if overweight there’s a designated tipping spot away from the piles of salt - it used to be the same at G3. It seems that rule has been relaxed at G3 recently and now some poor bugger has paid the ultimate price. RIP driver

RIP to the guy whom lost his life. Im in and out of there all the time. I have to say that I have serious reservations about the weighbridges at G3 in particular. A couple of weeks ago, there was ( in my mind) a serious issue with the bridges in that there were a lot of trucks coming out overweight, and having to go back and tip off. 2 of Robinsons got caught out, certainly one Hymas and TJ Haulage to name but a few. We were about 300kg over. I work my load weight out from my book of weights Iv recorded from my previous visits. I loaded my truck to the required reading on my trailer. I was 300kg over. I know that my book is right. Did any of you notice a similar situation? I reported to my TM and have kept the bridge tickets, for in, out and the delivered weight at Sun Valley, Hereford.

lightning:
RIP to the guy whom lost his life. Im in and out of there all the time. I have to say that I have serious reservations about the weighbridges at G3 in particular. A couple of weeks ago, there was ( in my mind) a serious issue with the bridges in that there were a lot of trucks coming out overweight, and having to go back and tip off. 2 of Robinsons got caught out, certainly one Hymas and TJ Haulage to name but a few. We were about 300kg over. I work my load weight out from my book of weights Iv recorded from my previous visits. I loaded my truck to the required reading on my trailer. I was 300kg over. I know that my book is right. Did any of you notice a similar situation? I reported to my TM and have kept the bridge tickets, for in, out and the delivered weight at Sun Valley, Hereford.

I’ve been there a few times as well. Same thing. 100-150kg underweight according to my on board weigher and fuel level. Still overweight by a stupidly small ammount. In, tip out.

It really is terrible stuff. One time I was loading it out of the shed at the HIT terminal at immingham docks. The shovel driver went into the pile for another bucket, and while he was reversing out of it the pile collapsed. I could feel it hitting the back of my trailer. He legged it and reversed straight out of the shed waving for me to do the same. In about 5 seconds you couldn’t see 2 feet in front of you because of all the dust hanging in the air! When it had settled and we went back in to finish the load you could see that absolutely LOADS of it had ran out across the whole of the pile. All my trailer wheels had been completely covered, up to about where the weigher display is mounted on the trailer. I’m glad I was sat in the cab and not stood by the weigher like I usually would be.

Do the loading shovels not have weighloaders fitted? Very rare not to in large operations. They’re very accurate at our place-I’ve been back shovel driving for 3 months and not one lorry I’ve loaded has come back to tip off. A good driver can tell roughly how much a bucketfull of a certain product will weigh, if they load level bucketfulls rather than showing off by playing “let’s see how much I can lift”…
I drove our Volvo yesterday as my Cat is broke down; Within a short time, I knew if I level filled a bucket of sand it would be around 6t. (5-5.3 for shingle)
Was the driver killed, killed by a falling stockpile or opening his tailgate? I’ve seen many times, artic drivers starting to tip, then getting out to open the tailgate, noot saying this was the case here.

Muchaway:
Do the loading shovels not have weighloaders fitted?

Nope.

Muckaway:
Was the driver killed, killed by a falling stockpile or opening his tailgate? I’ve seen many times, artic drivers starting to tip, then getting out to open the tailgate, noot saying this was the case here.

I think from the reports it was a collapse of the stock pile. You would have to have been massively overweight to need to open your back door to tip off, we normally just use the grain hatch.

Paul

r.i.p driver , i got told that the driver got pulled from the soya got given mouth to mouth but had a heart attack on way to hospital wot ever happened it bad news .

terribly sad tale - RIP