Driver jailed for cyclist death

From BBC Leeds News

A lorry driver who dumped a bicycle after a fatal crash with a cyclist has been jailed for two years.

Andrew Stubbs, 41, of Bicester, Oxfordshire, was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court for knocking over Anthony Spink in Wakefield, West Yorkshire.

He had dumped 41-year-old Mr Spink’s bicycle to cover up the crash, which happened in July 2007.

Delivery driver Stubbs had previously been found guilty of careless driving and perverting the course of justice.

A court had previously heard how Stubbs drove an extra 30 miles on his route to dispose of Mr Spink’s mangled bicycle in a lay-by on the Ossett bypass.

Cover-up

A witness had told the court how 41-year-old Mr Spink, from Normanton, was dragged under the wheels of the lorry as it turned left at a junction near Wakefield city centre.

It has been a devastating two years

Mr Spink’s sister Angela
Mr Spink was seen clinging on to the windscreen wipers of Stubbs’s vehicle to try and prevent being dragged under.

Stubbs, who was driving a Homebase delivery truck from Oxfordshire to West Yorkshire, denied causing Mr Spink’s death.

The jury cleared him of the more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving but found him guilty of careless driving and perverting the course of justice.

Judge Penelope Belcher said Stubbs’ actions were a clear attempt to try and cover-up a proper investigation.

Speaking after the sentencing, his sister Angela Spink said Stubbs had shown no remorse for his actions.

She said her brother “was the light of our family”, adding: "It has been a devastating two years.

“It’s impossible to believe that a person can have such little respect for human life and I think all we’ve really wanted and what would have helped us in our grieving would be for him [Stubbs] to say I’m really sorry.”

there but for the grace of him upstairs go all of us but… to try and cover it up shows what a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ he really is…

must have been an agency driver, or polish. :laughing:

limeyphil:

Or both.But the bit I don’t get is surely you would notice if someone was hanging on your windscreen wipers as you were driving along.

Carryfast:

limeyphil:

Or both.But the bit I don’t get is surely you would notice if someone was hanging on your windscreen wipers as you were driving along.

he probably put his wipers on to get rid of a giant fly. :laughing:

limeyphil:

Carryfast:

limeyphil:

he probably put his wipers on to get rid of a giant fly. :laughing:

That would explain why they charged him with causing death by careless driving and not dangerous driving.Because if he had’nt turned the wipers on then the cyclist could have hung on until he’d got back to the yard.

some of the replies on this thread have really annoyed me why must of he been a agency driver ?what are you trying to say that we dont care about other peoples lives and cannot drive safely and efficently you need need to give your head a shake and stop making stupid comments
:imp: :imp:

hyper26:
some of the replies on this thread have really annoyed me why must of he been a agency driver ?what are you trying to say that we dont care about other peoples lives and cannot drive safely and efficently you need need to give your head a shake and stop making stupid comments

you never done agency trolley dollying then :question: :question: the agency drivers tend to stand out like a sore thumb when your cab rattles as the trolley whistles past you at warp 9 :exclamation: you can almost hear the engine chocking and saying “WTF’s going on, 56 mph i’ve never done this before, eek”, :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

coat hat TAXI.

^^^ LOL… mine, at a push, does 49mph :smiley:

Stubbs was an agency driver who was returning from delivering goods to Homebase in Wakefield when the accident happened.

Stubbs, who also admitted failing to stop after an accident, failing to report an accident and driving in excess of four-and-a-half hours without a minimum break of 45 minutes, was also given a three-year driving ban.

limpy phil more like limp ■■■■ with comments like that

graham schroeder:

give it a rest. a pillock ran over someone. dead is dead. it’s not a big deal. :unamused:

A good mate of mine was first on the scene at this…just happened to be passing in the patrol car seconds afterwards and got flagged down by a member of the public. He described the scene to me, I won’t go into it, but it was incredibly gruesome.

Dead is dead, but what if it were one of yours I wonder?

The driver was convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice, that means he knew exactly what had happened, but instead of reporting it he dishonestly tried to cover it up. :imp:

To be honest, my personal opinion is that the sentence was too light.

limeyphil:

graham schroeder:

give it a rest. a pillock ran over someone. dead is dead. it’s not a big deal. :unamused:

You really do have a brain the size of a pea.

I stopped taking your posts seriously, on this site, a long time ago.

:unamused: :unamused:

Shrek:
A good mate of mine was first on the scene at this…just happened to be passing in the patrol car seconds afterwards and got flagged down by a member of the public. He described the scene to me, I won’t go into it, but it was incredibly gruesome.

Dead is dead, but what if it were one of yours I wonder?

The driver was convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice, that means he knew exactly what had happened, but instead of reporting it he dishonestly tried to cover it up. :imp:

To be honest, my personal opinion is that the sentence was too light.

He tried to pervert the course of justice just like PC Malcolm Searles did when he caused the death of Sandra Simpson driving a patrol car at 56 mph in a 30 with his dad and uncle in it on the way back from delivering a birthday card to his sister with the blues on.He said that he’d been chasing a non existent stolen car.But unlike this case PC Searles was’nt charged with perverting the course of justice and my personal opinion is that they both got off much too lightly and should be sharing a cell for the same duration.

ANDY1961:

limeyphil:

graham schroeder:

You really do have a brain the size of a pea.

I stopped taking your posts seriously, on this site, a long time ago.

:unamused: :unamused:

Most of us on here would agree with you Andy, I certainly do.

When we are discussing an accident that resulted in death are smileys and silly remarks appropriate?That mans family have to live with the consequences every day.

alamcculloch:
When we are discussing an accident that resulted in death are smileys and silly remarks appropriate?That mans family have to live with the consequences every day.

But my sarcastic remarks regarding the police and prosecution service not doing him for causing death by dangerous driving and giving him the full sentence for that (driving while not noticing someone holding on for their life to the wipers) in addition to all the other offences he committed should be in order in this case?.

hyper26:

I’m all for taking the ■■■■ on this site, but even my sick sense of humour fails to find anything funny here, a man has died, in what seems to be an unfortunate accident, nothing humourous there, next the ‘driver’ has attempted to cover it up, again nothing funny. In fact he should’ve been given a lot longer inside because what he did after the fact is inhumane.

newmercman:

hyper26:

I’m all for taking the ■■■■ on this site, but even my sick sense of humour fails to find anything funny here, a man has died, in what seems to be an unfortunate accident, nothing humourous there, next the ‘driver’ has attempted to cover it up, again nothing funny. In fact he should’ve been given a lot longer inside because what he did after the fact is inhumane.

Yes, and I think Shrek would agree that the ■■■■ driving the plod car was an arse too. The post of mine was from the drivers local newspaper, it was they who said he was an agency driver, and where he delivered to before trying to cover it up.