Driver Info please

Hi all, I’m Smiffy and new to this forum. I’m a driver, working on containers from Southampton Dock. I drive a MAN 440. I’m hoping some of my knowledgable colleagues out there can help please? I also have a 32 foot American Motor Home, and I’m planning on driving it from Calais Eurotunnel down to Lake Garda - the southern end. I’m trying to work out which route will be best - and if I go through Switzerland do I have to pay the Swiss tax thing that Ive heard about? If I don’t go through Switzerland, which is the best alternative route? Thanks for any advice offered.
Smiffy, :slight_smile:

Hi LL,

I’ve split your question from the sticky, mostly because nobody reads the stickies anyway. :frowning:

Anyway, I think it’ll get the benefit of some answers (and maybe some questions) now, so let’s hope so eh? :wink: :grimacing:

Thanks - see… I can’t even find my way around this site - How will I ever manage to find Lake Garda eh■■? :smiley:

Probably quickest would be via Reims and Nancy, though you will pay less tolls and get cheaper fuel if you go down the E411 and through Luxembourg etc.

Not sure about the tax, you could go via Mont Blanc but that costs a fair bit too.

Agree with HM -my choice would be the 411-simply for the toll/fuel thing.Into Swiss at Basel,out at Chiasso.Head for Milan,then follow Venezia on the A4 ,then just after Brescia,40k or so,start looking for a Garda exit. I also know nothing about the tax situation.Good luck though,and enjoy the trip :smiley:

Thanks - thats useful info… Its Brescia I’m booked into actually!! I’ll keep an eye on this thread just in the hope that someone in the know can tell me if I will need to buy that Swiss tax sticker or not!

I think I would avoid all the tolls and take a more scenic route with a holiday.

Lux - N57 - Vallorbe - Simplon - Gondo - Milan - Garda

From our very own Don Madge.

If your motorhome is above the 3500kg weight limit you will need a special permit for one day (3.25 ChF), 10 days (32.50ChF), one month (58.50ChF) or a year (650.00ChF).

If the vehicle is less than 3500kg it will cost you 40ChF for a year like a car

lucy locket007:
Hi all, I’m Smiffy and new to this forum. I’m a driver, working on containers from Southampton Dock. I drive a MAN 440. I’m hoping some of my knowledgable colleagues out there can help please? I also have a 32 foot American Motor Home, and I’m planning on driving it from Calais Eurotunnel down to Lake Garda - the southern end. I’m trying to work out which route will be best - and if I go through Switzerland do I have to pay the Swiss tax thing that Ive heard about? If I don’t go through Switzerland, which is the best alternative route? Thanks for any advice offered.
Smiffy, :slight_smile:

Swiss road tax.

motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle … d-tax.html

Hmmmm - its 7.5 ton!!! And a bit more when I get in too!! :smiley:

lucy locket007:
Hi all, I’m Smiffy and new to this forum. I’m a driver, working on containers from Southampton Dock. I drive a MAN 440.

lucy locket007:
I also have a 32 foot American Motor Home, and I’m planning on driving it from Calais Eurotunnel down to Lake Garda. Smiffy, :slight_smile:

The question has to be asked, are there any more jobs going in Southampton? :laughing: :sunglasses:

lucy locket007:
Thanks - see… I can’t even find my way around this site - How will I ever manage to find Lake Garda eh■■? :smiley:

Hi LL, no problem mate, we’re here to help. :smiley:

As for Lake Garda itself; hmmm… it’s quite big, and once you get in it, it’s very very wet. :wink: :grimacing:

dieseldave:

lucy locket007:

Hi LL, no problem mate, we’re here to help. :smiley:

As for Lake Garda itself; hmmm… it’s quite big, and once you get in it, it’s very very wet. :wink: :grimacing:

It’s also got some tall spikey hills around it :sunglasses: :smiley: