Driver in wheelchair

I had a decker last week, the deck wouldn’t came down.
Called Bulwell’s out - they sent a subbie - the fitter turned up - only had one hand,
but what a nice fellah, just got on with the job & got me sorted,

ABout an hour after I left the tip - he came flying past me on the M25

Dave the Renegade:

This Scania 143 is driven by disabled driver who uses a wheelchair.

DC Griffin. I think that’s the Griffins’ from Kingham, Oxon. Certainly their colours.

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

This Scania 143 is driven by disabled driver who uses a wheelchair.

DC Griffin. I think that’s the Griffins’ from Kingham, Oxon. Certainly their colours.

That’s correct Nathan. The chaps name is Darren Griffin, he runs about three artics, got a good set up with that 143 and living trailer.
Cheers Dave.

Older TNUK members may remember Grand Prix driver Alan Stacey (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Stacey) who raced competively with only one leg after losing part of it in a motorcycle accident? What is not so commonly known is that his mechanic, Bill Blossom, only had one arm so they looked quite a pair at races! :laughing:

Back on topic, I encountered several drivers of trucks with either an arm or leg missing. We had a mixer driver with a deformed hand from birth yet he piloted a Foden two stroke with the 12 speed gearbox as well or better than most. There is a local chap with no legs (only stumps) and it amazes me when I see him ‘vault’ from his wheelchair into the driving seat with no problem at all, I struggle at times and I am supposedly able bodied! :blush:

Pete.

He should b on the tv. When it’s showing all these lazy gits who can’t work because of a bad back…then you get this guy doing this…hat of to you sir

Certainly inspirational, people would learn a lot from spending a day with them. Disability cannot kill the passion.

weeto:
Not seen him, but have seen a driver who is/was working for a recycling firm around the Uxbridge area who has no hands, driving a wagon and drag skip wagon.

He is on DS Smiths. He used to be at Maidenhead when it was Severnsides. He can do the job just as good as the others too. He has got hands, they’re just deformed

Windrush, wasn’t Alan Stacey killed when a bird hit him in the face?

My bird hits me in the face all the time. I get my own back by kicking her in the ■■■■.

Muckaway:

That’s what is thought to have happened Nathan, just a few minutes after Chris Bristow ran off of the track and was killed at the same spot.

Pete.

I wondered why my ears were burning!!! I’m the wagon and drag driver on DS Smith driving “Hands Free” there isn’t any kind of deformity I had an accident at the age of three involving a electric fire as a result double amputee at the wrist. Ps Thank You!!!

Hats off to you Tony, and to the driver in the wheelchair, some drivers say what about the curtains, I say what about the straps ! I mean nothing nasty towards this brave driver, was just wondering whether VOSA would treat him the same as us ( i hope not ) but at the end of the day i applaud anyone in this situation, and i also applaud the companies who gave them a chance, and yes, they certainly give the workshy a run for their money.

I’m an artic driver had a prosthetic leg for over 10 years still driving and will be 70 this May
Was thinking about fitting some sort of stair lift to help me into the cab
Only worry is would it put me over weight on my front axle ?

Intake/l39:
Only worry is would it put me over weight on my front axle ?

No, that’s eating too many fried breakfasts. :wink:

I used to bump into a lorry driver in Austria who was in a wheelchair too, he could swing out of his cab with his arms. David Taylor was in a wheelchair for a lot of years and he sold lorries, very successfully too.

windrush:

Muckaway:

That’s what is thought to have happened Nathan, just a few minutes after Chris Bristow ran off of the track and was killed at the same spot.

Pete.

Then there was Clay Regazzoni who was paralysed after he crashed into a wall at the Long Beach GP. I think he did the Dakar rally with a disabled support team.
Not forgetting Alex Zanardi who lost both his legs in Indycar and still races today but I think in Nascar now.

I remember the guy with the red Volvo wag and drag came into our place a few years back to drop off some pallets for us to deliver. I found out a while later the pallets were for a large German supermarket RDC (not sure which one exactly). I think they either refused to let him in to tip due to his disability, or refused because he couldn’t self tip with the electric pump truck!!!

Tony421966:
I wondered why my ears were burning!!! I’m the wagon and drag driver on DS Smith driving “Hands Free” there isn’t any kind of deformity I had an accident at the age of three involving a electric fire as a result double amputee at the wrist. Ps Thank You!!!

I had seen ya at the Uxbridge depot a couple of years ago whilst in the loading a container, after seeing ya chipping in with sorting some pallets Into a skip, I was surprised to see ya leaving with the yard with the truck, deffo top bloke in my book mate.
To be honest, it was one of those “did I just see that happen” moments.

Am an amputee, left leg below knee, hats off to the guy in the wheelchair, but to put a positive spin on this at least he ain’t got a limp.
I got a limp…and I am agency…

eagerbeaver:
My bird hits me in the face all the time. I get my own back by kicking her in the ■■■■.

showstopper :open_mouth: ‘perky or droopy’ lol