Driver hours

Hi guys. Just new to trucking, hope you can all help. What I want to find out is, lets say I start work at 7.00am and drive for 4 hours and then do other work for a 4 hours. Does that mean I have only 1 hour drive time left or can I drive 5 more hours to make up my nine driving hours. I know all about split breaks but what is the max I can drive and do other work in a day? I’m guessing 13hours total but could be wrong.

keithb988:
Hi guys. Just new to trucking, hope you can all help. What I want to find out is, lets say I start work at 7.00am and drive for 4 hours and then do other work for a 4 hours. Does that mean I have only 1 hour drive time left or can I drive 5 more hours to make up my nine driving hours. I know all about split breaks but what is the max I can drive and do other work in a day? I’m guessing 13hours total but could be wrong.

5 hours driving time left for a 9

The max driving in shift can be 10 hours (2 max 10s per week)
The max shift length is 15 hours because a minimum daily rest is 9 hours (max 3 times between weekly rests - not per week) and everything must fit within a 24 hour period so 15+9=24

As for what the actual driving time plus other work time could be in a shift would depend how much of each was done to see how much of that shift needs to be recorded as break for the EU regs driving time and RTD (WTD)

keithb988:

For the EU regulations, driving time is time that’s actually recorded on the tachograph as driving time.

The tachograph will only record driving time when the wheels are turning, so as far as the EU regulations are concerned driving time is when the wheels are turning.

Other work is when you are working but not driving.

You’re allowed to do 9 hours driving in a shift which can be extended twice a week to 10 hours driving.

If you start the day with 4 hours driving then do a couple of hours other work you’ve still only done 4 hours driving, so you still have 5 hours driving time left for the shift, or 6 hours on a 10 hour drive day.

Within 24 hours from the start of the shift you must have completed a daily rest period of 11 hours, so 11 hours off 24 hours leaves you 13 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift.

The daily rest period can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods, so on those days you can do 15 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift (15+9=24).

If you haven’t already seen it the guide to drivers hours published by VOSA may help, the link is bellow :wink:

Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe)

Also got to watch WTD of your 30 minute break within 6 hours of starting your shift wether it be driving or other work aswell.

Think that 1 catches more people than driving hours as everyone is used to driving hours .

Jeff

Daytrunker:
Also got to watch WTD of your 30 minute break within 6 hours of starting your shift wether it be driving or other work aswell.

Think that 1 catches more people than driving hours as everyone is used to driving hours .

Jeff

You don’t need a 30 minute break within 6 hours for the working time regulations.

You need to have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time, that applies at any time in the shift not just the start.