Driver Hours help

Recently passed my CPC after passing my Class 2 in 2018. I understand that we need a 45 minute break every 4.5 hours of driving but not sure about the rest of it. What breaks are required for working time and rest periods between shifts. Also if I have been driving for say 3.5 hours and have a 45 minutes break does that restart the 4.5 hours driving time?

Thanks a slightly confused driver.
PS I am not driving yet.

Spooner85:
What breaks are required for working time and rest periods between shifts

WTD = do not work/drive for more than 6 hours at any point in a shift without at least a 15 min break
If the total work/drive time in a shift is between 6+9 hours then total breaks of 30 mins needed OR (not and) if total is over 9 then 45 mins needed

Rest periods between shifts = 11 hours but can be reduced to 9 three times between weekly rests (not the same as per week)

Spooner85:
Also if I have been driving for say 3.5 hours and have a 45 minutes break does that restart the 4.5 hours driving time?

YES but you do not lose the other 1 hour - you just have to take another 45 if you do this …
Drive 3.5
break 45
drive 4.5
break 45
drive 1

breaks can count for both WTD and driving time but the rules for driving time breaks take preference

Thanks that makes sense. saved to phone for future reference :smiley:

ROG:

Spooner85:
What breaks are required for working time and rest periods between shifts

WTD = do not work/drive for more than 6 hours at any point in a shift without at least a 15 min break
If the total work/drive time in a shift is between 6+9 hours then total breaks of 30 mins needed OR (not and) if total is over 9 then 45 mins needed

Rest periods between shifts = 11 hours but can be reduced to 9 three times between weekly rests (not the same as per week)

Spooner85:
Also if I have been driving for say 3.5 hours and have a 45 minutes break does that restart the 4.5 hours driving time?

YES but you do not lose the other 1 hour - you just have to take another 45 if you do this …
Drive 3.5
break 45
drive 4.5
break 45
drive 1

breaks can count for both WTD and driving time but the rules for driving time breaks take preference

Very helpful video
youtube.com/watch?v=H3_U_eoo9o8

ROG:

The 11 hours of daily rest has to be taken within 24 hours of the start of the shift.

So working 16 hours and then taking 11 hours of daily rest wouldn’t be legal, as only 8 hours of daily rest would have been taken within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift.

To take the full 11 hours of daily rest, you won’t be able to work more than 13 hours from the start of the shift.

Working over 13 hours up to and including 15 hours and you have to take a reduced daily rest. A reduced daily rest is at least 9 hours but least than 11 hours.

You can’t work more than 15 hours because you wouldn’t be able to take a 9 hour daily rest withing 24 hours after you started the shift.

Tachograph units generally only warn about driving breaks or daily rest. I say generally because the 71 plate vehicles with new tachograph units I have been driving recently have some new warnings, flashing up your total working time (driving + other work) added together. These generally start as you approach 6 hours and continue throughout the day until finished. I actually find it a bit of a pest, but have not investigated to see if it can be turned off yet.

If you do get such a warning, it can usually be cleared by pressing OK. Sometimes it flashes up for an invalid reason, for example you have taken 45 minutes break and are well within your next six hours, it is still telling you your total working time for the day is 9 hours 31 minutes or whatever.