Driver Hour questions

Right just want a few questions answerd please just not getting my head around this -

question 1. this is to do with weekly rests, say i work 8 hours a week do i have to still take a 45 hour weekly break ? after 6/24 hour periods or can it be anytime during your fixed week?

question 2. for your driving break of 45 mins can i split them up say the first one being 15 mins then do another break say 15 then 15 ? because im reading people are just taking breaks when they like and for how long they like.

question 3. i also read doing 3x15 hour days followed by 2x13 hour day and a wknd of 4 hours is this legal because i thought you cant work more than 48 hour weeks ?

Vernon1987:
Right just want a few questions answerd please just not getting my head around this -

question 1. this is to do with weekly rests, say i work 8 hours a week do i have to still take a 45 hour weekly break ? after 6/24 hour periods or can it be anytime during your fixed week?

A weekly rest period is any rest period of 45 hours so If you only work 8 hours a week you’re going to have a lot more than that.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood the question.

Lets suppose you work Monday then have Tuesday and Wednesday off (45+ hours rest) you could start a new six periods of 24 hours from the end of the weekly rest period, so you could work Thursday to Tuesday as long as it’s not over 144 hours from the end of on e weekly rest period to the start of the next.

Vernon1987:
question 2. for your driving break of 45 mins can i split them up say the first one being 15 mins then do another break say 15 then 15 ? because im reading people are just taking breaks when they like and for how long they like.

You should not drive for more than 4 ½ hours without a break of at-least 45 minutes.

A driving break is 45 minutes, if you wish you can split the driving break into two parts the first of which must be at-least 15 minutes and the second part must be at-least 30 minutes and a split driving break must be taken in that order.

You can no longer have 3x15 minute breaks as a 45 minute driving break.

Vernon1987:
question 3. i also read doing 3x15 hour days followed by 2x13 hour day and a wknd of 4 hours is this legal because i thought you cant work more than 48 hour weeks ?

The maximum legal working time in a fixed week is 60 hours but it should average out to no more than 48 hours over the reference period which is usually 17 or 26 weeks.

Note that this is working time which does not include breaks or POA :wink:

Thanks tacho clears things up for me :slight_smile:

Can i take as many reduced weekly rests during the 6/24hr periods and do i have to compensate them all back ? But aslong as you have a full 45 the 2nd week

Vernon1987:
Thanks tacho clears things up for me :slight_smile:

Can i take as many reduced weekly rests during the 6/24hr periods and do i have to compensate them all back ? But aslong as you have a full 45 the 2nd week

After a weekly rest or reduced weekly rest you start a new six periods of 24 hours, so it’s not really a case of having as many as you like during the six periods of 24 hours.

For instance if you work only 1 day then have 2 days off, you can go another six periods of 24 hours (144 hours) after the 2 days off before needing another weekly rest period.

The regulations say that in any two consecutive weeks you must have either 2 regular weekly rest periods or at-least 1 regular weekly rest period and 1 reduced weekly rest period.

If you have a regular weekly rest period and a reduced weekly rest period in the same fixed week you do not need to compensate for the reduced weekly rest period.

If in any fixed week you do not have a regular weekly rest period but have more than 1 reduced weekly rest period, only 1 of the reduced weekly rest periods needs compensating for.

As you know you must have a regular weekly rest period (45 hours) at-least every second fixed week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday)

Thanks mate ! Am sure it want be long till you hear from me again :wink:

Vernon1987:
Thanks mate ! Am sure it want be long till you hear from me again :wink:

You’re welcome :wink: