Driver hit on motorway

manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ … ruck_on_m6

he will be off work a while hope hes ok

Poor sod…hope he makes a quick recovery.

Gotta be careful on the motorway, I always try to get into lane 2 if I see anything stopped on the shoulder…not always possible though.

Shrek:

Gotta be careful on the motorway, I always try to get into lane 2 if I see anything stopped on the shoulder.…not always possible though.

We really appreciate you guys and girls that do this, It’s hard enough working on the hard shoulder as it is. The extra space that’s afforded when the heavies move out to lane 2 makes a whole lot of difference :wink:

The Highway Man:

Shrek:

Gotta be careful on the motorway, I always try to get into lane 2 if I see anything stopped on the shoulder.…not always possible though.

We really appreciate you guys and girls that do this, It’s hard enough working on the hard shoulder as it is. The extra space that’s afforded when the heavies move out to lane 2 makes a whole lot of difference :wink:

I would echo what THM says, thanks to those who do it when they can. :smiley:

Initial reports was that he was serious.

Hope he is soon better.

Hope he is ok… :cry:

I always try to move over too, if safe to do so.

Unfortunate for the guy, and I also try and move over if the middle lane is clear, however;

I also think any driver who is stupid enough to walk down the side of his vehicle between the hard shoulder and the inside lane needs his head looking at. Whenever I have had to stop on the hardshoulder I get out of the passenger side and won’t go anywhere near the offside. I’ve had morons parked on the hardshoulder fling their drivers door open into the path of my truck before without even looking, they do it on single carriageways parked right up to the roadside too, crazy.

For laybys & hard shoulders containing hazards, I get my trainees, with the appropriate mirror checks of course, to gently move to the white line on the o/s well before the hazard, hold that line and then as the front end gets level with the front of the hazard, again with the appropriate mirror checks of course, to gently move back to the left. Can be difficult most of the time to move into another forward lane as most of the other traffic is faster than we are and we would cause inconvenience and possibly another unnecessary hazard.

hope the driver recovers quickly after an accident like that
same paper driver 5 times over the limit gets a suspended sentence wtf is the judge his masonic mate ■■?

morrisons driver was a lucky man indeed but the offer does say break one get one free

When I see a vehicle on the shoulder, I always force my way out at least to the white line but try to straddle it.

Its the only way to wake the drivers of cars up and make them look beyond their sat nav screen

I always move over when I see vehicles on the shoulder, or at least try to, but on two occasions I have been undertaken by other trucks who have aimed abuse at me for what they see as moving over unnecessarily. :unamused: :unamused: :imp: Both times were at night on almost deserted motorways.

Coffeeholic:
I always move over when I see vehicles on the shoulder, or at least try to, but on two occasions I have been undertaken by other trucks who have aimed abuse at me for what they see as moving over unnecessarily. :unamused: :unamused: :imp: Both times were at night on almost deserted motorways.

Yeh well as said in a number of topics, there’s always one in all walks of life. :unamused:

As per my earlier post, we appreciate you doing it when you can but we know you can’t if lane 2 is full. :sunglasses:

It seems that many people out and about on the roads think that they are immortal or have an invisible force field around them (some of my colleagues included), sadly when they realise this is not the case it is to late. :imp:

I agree with Shrek I always try to get over and give a wide berth to anyone working or broke down on the hard shoulder…not always able to though.

Jacko :smiley:

I was on the M180 the other day and saw a truck on the hard shoulder ahead of me. I had to look twice, but there he was, a mechanic or tyrefitter (I’m not sure which), but he was laying (working) alongside the OFFSIDE triaxle trailer wheels! He can’t have been more than a cats ■■■■ hair away from his head being in lane 1.

OK the guy had a high viz coat on , but that’s not going to stop another vehicle killing him instantly is it?

Fortunately, I saw him in plenty of time, indicated and got my arse into lane 2 without any problems (bear in mind I’m in a loaded triple deck car transporter with 9 big cars on it)…the guy even waved a thanks to me, but I couldn’t help thinking what a stupid risk to take. Why he couldn’t have asked the truck driver to get a bit further over to the left I don’t know. It’s not like there wasn’t room to get it over. I almost didn’t want to look in the nearside mirror after I’d passed him, just in case I saw the horror of the inevitable. Fortunately it didn’t happen.

That guy sure had a bigger pair of balls than me! :unamused:

Yerp, I always move over too.

Unfortunately such considerate careful driving is a contributing factor to why I’m off work now.
Truck moved over for ambers in hard shoulder, so do I, I carry on past truck now in lane 2, and met with rather solid stationary object in lane 3.

Ouch.

The Highway Man:

Shrek:

And we would really appreciate the people (copious vosa individuals, RAC men, Tyre fitters etc) not parking in such a way to endanger themselves on the hard shoulder.

The number of times I have been unable to get into lane two due to a heavy volume of traffic, or being overtaken, and somebody ‘official’ has parked on the line, or at a weird angle, which, in my opinion, is seriously dangerous and alarming.

Why do you do this? Is it to encourage traffic to move over? Are you aware that some vehicles cannot?
Is the reason due to some other safety reason? If so, it seems a little illogical to me and I would find the reason interesting.

I have, on many occasions, been unable to move over. The distance I pass the ‘official’ on the hard shoulder could probably be measured in centimetres. Had he parked more to the left, deeper into the hard shoulder, the gap would have been a lot less and therefore safer. Would it not?

The other night, one of those yellow cone lorries was parked on the hard shoulder, and one of the crew just jumped out of the cab, obviously without looking. His feet landed on the line and his body was over it. I had to move over the line of lane two to avoid him. Had I been being overtaken at the time, there may well have been an incident. There is the argument that I probably should have moved across into lane two beforehand, however, I also feel that it is a pre req to actually check your mirror before jumping out into the line of fast moving traffic and that the ultimate responsibility lay with him.

Pedestrians should not underestimate the power and danger of the motorway, which so many do, alas.

Off topic slightly… If you click on the link and read it, near the bottom it says " The motorway was closed for a few hours while police made the area safe" ■■? :confused: :confused: :confused:

ezydriver:
And we would really appreciate the people (copious vosa individuals, RAC men, Tyre fitters etc) not parking in such a way to endanger themselves on the hard shoulder.

The number of times I have been unable to get into lane two due to a heavy volume of traffic, or being overtaken, and somebody ‘official’ has parked on the line, or at a weird angle, which, in my opinion, is seriously dangerous and alarming.

Why do you do this? Is it to encourage traffic to move over? Are you aware that some vehicles cannot?
Is the reason due to some other safety reason? If so, it seems a little illogical to me and I would find the reason interesting.

Our vehicles are parked in such a way known as “Fending” we either fend in or out depending on the road layout. The reason we do this so you can see more of our battenburg on the side. The battenburg is designed to act like chevrons pushing the traffic out away from our scene. I was once informed by a motorway police officer at the scene of a 2 LGV RTC that it was better to park at a sharper degree so that approaching traffic sees the battenburg first and moves over to the open lanes.

The Highway Man:

ezydriver:

Our vehicles are parked in such a way known as “Fending” we either fend in or out depending on the road layout. The reason we do this so you can see more of our battenburg on the side. The battenburg is designed to act like chevrons pushing the traffic out away from our scene. I was once informed by a motorway police officer at the scene of a 2 LGV RTC that it was better to park at a sharper degree so that approaching traffic sees the battenburg first and moves over to the open lanes.

From my personal perspective, I disagree. I can understand the concept, but in reality, all we see is a vehicle parked at a bad angle. I do not think the chevron effect has any bearing on drivers at a sub conscious or otherwise psychological level.

Anyway, the majority of vehicles that do ‘fend’ have many flashing lights and these are what attract my attention to any potential hazzard on the hard shoulder.

I personally think that cones starting from the inner most part of the hard shoulder, fending out to the line would be way more effective on drivers, psychologically, than a vehicle parked at a bad angle.

Again, talking from my personal opinion, I find fended vehicles counter productive, sometimes dangerous (back corner seeming to be on the line), and downright annoying. It suprises me that some do not get hit. Perhaps some do, I don’t know.

ezydriver:
It suprises me that some do not get hit. Perhaps some do, I don’t know.

They do, 5 in the last 2 years. :imp:

Now to be fair at least 2 of these were drunk, 1 an HGV driver driving an artic :open_mouth:

However, THM is right about the “herding” effect of the battenburg, that is why we have it. However it does not work in all circumstances and requires choice. Where I work it often is better to take a straight line approach but we have areas where fend off is best.

At the end of the day we do not have an invisible force field around us and no matter what lights we show and how we fend off or not we are still vulnerable. :frowning:

p.s thanks to all the guys and galls who were sensible on the M62 when I was in lane 3 last night , patricularly the container guy who blocked Mr Audi TT :wink: :smiley:

Same to the guys who missed me on the A74 when an old guy ran out of petrol and just sat there in the live lane waiting for divine intervention!! :open_mouth: