Driver Hire

Hi All
New to the forum, some great information and extremely helpful.

Have just returned to driving semi’s after a 15 yr break and was wondering if anyone is able to give any information or experiences about a company called Driver Hire. I’ve been doing some research and believe they are well established in the U.K with over 150 offices nationally.

I moved from South East London 13 years ago to Perth Australia and Driver Hire have an office here. I’m currently driving Semi’s for Toll Logistics, who are a similar setup to Eddie Stobart i.e New tractor units and trailers (Mercedes, Scania & Volvo’s - some American Trucks with Fuller gearboxes)…Yes here in Australia unless you drive your pants off your not a true trucker - Me personally I would rather have a simpler easier life :smiley: :slight_smile:also see the debate on the forum about splitter gearboxes once driven never forgotten (if you can’t find it grind it) :laughing:

Can’t remember much about pay structures in the U.K - Hourly rate in Oz does vary. Ongoing Casual $30 - $35 - plus overtime, plus double time (weekends) plus shift & Meal allowance if you work over 7.5 hrs.

Any information about driver hire would be truly appreciated stay safe and happy driving

In the UK, Driver Hire is a franchise…each office is a privately-owned business which pays a tariff to Driver Hire and runs using Driver Hire systems and rules.

Wages for agency drivers in the UK have large regional variations: London and the south-east being higher than most of the rest of the UK.

Wages where I am in South Wales are still pretty low. A local agency to me (not Driver Hire) was offering £6.50 - £7.50 hr for 7.5-tonne drivers on multidrop. The work included unloading the vehicle and carrying goods upstairs at delivery points.

The UK minimum wage is £6.50 an hour!

GasGas:
In the UK, Driver Hire is a franchise…each office is a privately-owned business which pays a tariff to Driver Hire and runs using Driver Hire systems and rules.

Wages for agency drivers in the UK have large regional variations: London and the south-east being higher than most of the rest of the UK.

Wages where I am in South Wales are still pretty low. A local agency to me (not Driver Hire) was offering £6.50 - £7.50 hr for 7.5-tonne drivers on multidrop. The work included unloading the vehicle and carrying goods upstairs at delivery points.

The UK minimum wage is £6.50 an hour!

GasGas I think youll find this is spam fella he posted the exact same post back in November and a simple google will give all the info he’s asked

Groundhog day!

They will bleed you dry i remember i went to register there and after a 1hr test ect ect he then passed me over to his colleague who said we operate 24hrs a day every day and you will have to be available and also anywhere in a 30 mile radius

Then he sent me back to the franchise owner who said welcome to driver hire whats the lowest rate you will work for ? But before you answer the lower rate you say then the more work you will get :imp:

I will never forget the look in his eye and needless to say i never worked for him

If possible stay away from any agency :cry:

It sounded convincing until he said “driving semis…”

Muckaway:

I’ve driven many a time with a semi, I did however have to check his location when I read it and figured that he had been working in Oz so maybe they call things differently over there.

the maoster:

Muckaway:

I’ve driven many a time with a semi, I did however have to check his location when I read it and figured that he had been working in Oz so maybe they call things differently over there.

At least someone checked my location - yes you are right over in Oz Class 1 is referred to as either HC (Heavy Combination or Semi’s) All Tractor units are classed as prime movers ! We also have MC (Multi Combination) which can be either two or up to quad trailers. Most drivers obtain an MC licence which then allows you to drive any configuration.

I was asking a genuine question as in Oz whether working in the East or West is different to the UK and agency work seems the norm. I’ve been offered work with TNT and DHL on a 6 day week ongoing casual. Once I’ve completed 8 weeks then both companies offer full time work with the normal penalties (holiday, sick etc) There is a huge amount of British drivers driving over here, as the Australian companies know that the British HGV Licence is harder to obtain than the Oz licence.

O’ yer I’m not a spammer as said genuine question - for those that replied thanks heaps, great welcome to the forum - Maybe its the whether in blitty :laughing:

Welcome to th forum Cobber. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Stumpy1968:
O’ yer I’m not a spammer as said genuine question - for those that replied thanks heaps, great welcome to the forum - Maybe its the whether in blitty :laughing:

I do apologise for my comment but you have to admit both your 2 first posts 2 / 3 months apart were Identical and it’s not unknown for agency’s to do that.

Stumpy1968:
Any information about driver hire would be truly appreciated

They are a zb agency, I’d stay well clear:!:

Pimpdaddy is spot on.ive dealt with 3 diffrent branches and all of them were gash

The Lincoln branch was pretty good for me but I declined a lot of the multi-drop work they had.