Driver Funding

Hi guys.
new to posting but reading for a while.
Does any one know anything about get funding for your licence through job centre or similar.
I left my job in december and decided i wanted my licence.
Saved a bit of money and paid for a week and a retest. (failed both times on silly mistakes)
just started claiming job seekers allowance and had heard that i may be able to get the training through J.S but the woman i asked didn’t seem to know or seem bothered.
I’ve managed to get the money together again but before spending again thought i’d ask if anyone knew anything?

sorry for the long winded first post!
cheers!

bobbylad:
Hi guys.
new to posting but reading for a while.
Does any one know anything about get funding for your licence through job centre or similar.
I left my job in december and decided i wanted my licence.
Saved a bit of money and paid for a week and a retest. (failed both times on silly mistakes)
just started claiming job seekers allowance and had heard that i may be able to get the training through J.S but the woman i asked didn’t seem to know or seem bothered.
I’ve managed to get the money together again but before spending again thought i’d ask if anyone knew anything?

sorry for the long winded first post!
cheers!

Hi bobbylad, WELCOME. :grimacing:

There is Jobcentre funding, but it can be patchy. They also (allegedly) do a ‘loan’ type scheme.
Give Knowsley college a ring and ask for the logisics dept. :wink:
If that doesn’t work, try St Helens college. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: BTW, your post isn’t long-winded-- you should see some of mine. :wink::grimacing:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome bobbylad :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

There is one thing you might try but it is a long shot and would tie you to a contract - see if an agency will fund the last steps of your training - I assume it is just a retest :question: - and then agree to work for them for a set period.
IMO, it’s not the best thing to do at this stage but if needs must…

the job centre will fund it but there are some criteria you may have to have an offer of a job first before they will fund it

find you local trainning provider then go to the job center and ask if they are on the system

Welcome to the mad house

thanks for the replies.
Rog i should really only need a retest, but i did the training with sterling in dudley and to do a retest costs 400 pound for an hour in the truck and the retest.
I did an assesment drive with TRUK Warrington (cause it was closer) and they said i’ll probably need about 10-16 hours to get used to the different gear box (sterling used slap box and truk 4over4) and will cost 550 with test fee so sounds more value for money and obviously closer. (I worked in sales so i knew exactly how the pricing was going to go :stuck_out_tongue: )
I have managed to beg borrow and steal the money to do it but being out of work the money could be very helpful if i could get some kind of grant/funding.
I’ll give your suggestions a go before i hand any cash over!
cheers everyone!

The job centre will only fund it if:
a) You have been unemployed for 6 months or more.
and
b) You live in what is known as a deprived area, i.e. high unemployment.

Career Development Loans probably wouldn’t be suitable, as you have to start paying it back as soon as you complete the course.

gsm31:
The job centre will only fund it if:
a) You have been unemployed for 6 months or more.
and
b) You live in what is known as a deprived area, i.e. high unemployment.

Career Development Loans probably wouldn’t be suitable, as you have to start paying it back as soon as you complete the course.

A) I’ve been unemployed since december but because i’ve only been claiming 3/4 weeks (a pride thing) they say i’ve not been unemployed long enough.

B)Does Liverpool count? :wink:

i’ve enough loans to last me a life time so not ideal?
are these fact? are you in the know? if so i can pretty much forget the job centre!
cheers!

I’ve been down exactly the same path.
Tried everything to get funding for retraining after being made redundant,ending up paying for it myself as I got nowhere.
You should find out from the job centre if your area is classed as deprived.
Also, try the agency’s as Rog has suggested.

gsm31:
I’ve been down exactly the same path.
Tried everything to get funding for retraining after being made redundant,ending up paying for it myself as I got nowhere.
You should find out from the job centre if your area is classed as deprived.
Also, try the agency’s as Rog has suggested.

cheers gsm,
nice to know someone else has/had the same problems!

i think i’ll try the agencies…

Its usually 6 months, you have to have been signing on, because after 6momths they will put you on a training scheme, which can be to get HGV licence, or could be dragging supermarket trolleys out the local river.

The other option is if your area is considered a deprieved area they may let to go onto a training scheme at an early time.

But its based on post codes, so one street could be eliglble and the one around the corner may not.

I got my class 1 through training for work, i had been working for DHL and got made redundant and because i lived in a crap hole of any area got it offered it straight away because there was plenty of class 1 jobs in my area.

Some people look down on me for getting my class 1 through training for work, but i dont care i’ve rarely been out of work my adult life and paid so much taxes may as well get the benifit because someone else will if i dont.

Problem is tho there was a lot of fraud with training for work and wrong people doing it. Like BS’ing they could get a driving job if they had a car licence, getting a car licence then not getting a job, same with HGV’s people getting a HGV because they fancied it then not bothering to get a job.

If you want to get licence off the DSS if you are now over 6months unemployed go into the job centre and ask to speak to the training for work advisor, they will have all the details. They dont really advertise it or offer it now unless you specifically ask for it.

Dont know if this will help but here goes. when did you pass your driving test ? Does your licence enable you to drive 7.5 or C1? If so then why not try a few agencies and see if you can get work … I have said it before but Drive Hire if they take you on will have to start on 7.5 and go with the flow < however they will fund your licence - again you will have to pay back at pre determined rate. Note though that they are franchises so each one will have different requirements. However it might be worth a shot. I dont know how this will affect your unemployment payments though sorry.

Bubble:
Dont know if this will help but here goes. when did you pass your driving test ? Does your licence enable you to drive 7.5 or C1? If so then why not try a few agencies and see if you can get work … I have said it before but Drive Hire if they take you on will have to start on 7.5 and go with the flow < however they will fund your licence - again you will have to pay back at pre determined rate. Note though that they are franchises so each one will have different requirements. However it might be worth a shot. I dont know how this will affect your unemployment payments though sorry.

cheers for info but i didn’t pass my test till 2000 so don’t qualify for 7.5.
thanks anyway!

bobbylad:

gsm31:
T

Bootle Job centre didn`t want to know when I asked them.

Class two/agency work doesnt really exsisted in Liverpool. I wouldnt bother to waste your money mate.

Drive Hire by Sand hills station, if its still open is a total waste of time. So is Best connection, liverpool city centre and top gear and labour force kirkby - now called something different.

Good Luck!!

Jim

truckerjimbo:

bobbylad:

gsm31:
T

Bootle Job centre didn`t want to know when I asked them.

Class two/agency work doesnt really exsisted in Liverpool. I wouldnt bother to waste your money mate.

Drive Hire by Sand hills station, if its still open is a total waste of time. So is Best connection, liverpool city centre and top gear and labour force kirkby - now called something different.

Good Luck!!

Jim

I agree theres nothing for class 2 on Merseyside