Driver found dead

A driver has been found dead at Purfleet truck stop.

keepontrucking.uk/trucker-found … ruck-stop/

Only 41, how awful.

RIP driver.

I’ve known 4 colleagues,no more than 40 ish,who have died of natural causes while at work.It’s always a shock particularly if you were speaking to them the day before.

At our place they stil have to finish their hours even after death.

He must’ve pulled up, seen the price of fuel, then died of shock.

Considering the proportion of their lives that some drivers spend behind the wheel, you could bank on there being a higher chance of them dying at work than anywhere else.

We had one guy, drove into the car park, parked up properly and popped his clogs right there and then, due to a known heart problem. But because he was inside the car, no one spotted anything wrong, perhaps if he was outside the car it might have been different.

Many years ago (early 80’s) I knew of a guy who committed suicide in a quiet corner of the works car park - hose on the exhaust and in through the rear side window :open_mouth: Several of us attended the inquest - not a pleasant experience at all. The lad that was first to find him was still traumatised months afterwards.

I’ve known personally about 5 over the years, 2 of them actual friends.
One was the guy I used to go away with when younger, who got me wanting to be a driver myself, …the other was my best man at my wedding. :neutral_face:

(I think at least 2 of the others was a direct result of reading one of Winseer’s long winded posts…they just gave up the will to live… :laughing: )

robroy:
One was the guy I used to go away with when younger, who got me wanting to be a driver myself, …the other was my best man at my wedding. :neutral_face:

(I think at least 2 of the others was a direct result of reading one of Winseer’s long winded posts…they just gave up the will to live… :laughing: )

I bet he’s claimed more than 2 lives :smiling_imp:

Happened years ago in Southend coach park Driver parked up and died overnight, only came to light when his Boss had not heard from him and Police had a look out for his motor and found him.

Anyone got anymore info on this? Seems strange he wasn’t missed by employers, contractors, family etc for over 24 hours.

robroy:

But without the likes of him we wouldn’t have Robroy tearing his posts to pieces and it would be very dull on here… keep up the good work :laughing:

Beau Nydel:
Anyone got anymore info on this? Seems strange he wasn’t missed by employers, contractors, family etc for over 24 hours.

A few years ago I can imagine a lorry driver going missing unnoticed for a few days, years ago, few booked in deliveries, no cab phones etc. Phone box broken, no call home.
In fact I know it happened where I worked. He was on a multi drop load, only expected to call in when empty 2 or 3 days later. At that time small loads arrived when they arrived. Booking times, if they existed, were “maybe Wednesday”.
Service area worker noticed truck there and told police. They broke into cab and called office.

Back in the early nineties I was delivering to a premises on Raynesway, Derby, and there was a daycabbed ERF A series parked outside with Police in attendance. The driver had parked outside overnight and left the Gardner engine running to keep warm but had rag etc stuffed in the doors and windows to try and stop draught, he died in his sleep presumably of asphyxiation from fumes entering the cab through the pedals and gearlever holes.

Pete.

Some used to.use gas stoves pre night heater days,.which were fine and done the job…until the flame went out but the gas supply didn’t.

If his tacho was on other work, would they have to do a printout and write on the back after his hours were up?

robroy:
Some used to.use gas stoves pre night heater days,.which were fine and done the job…until the flame went out but the gas supply didn’t.

One of our old drivers worked previously for his family firm that ran O type Bedford tippers in the fifties and he carried one of the old Valor upright paraffin heaters in the passenger footwell to keep warm during the day before heaters were a standard fitment in trucks! :open_mouth: Being young at the time he never considered it a danger. Not much in the cab to set afire back then, apart from a tankful of petrol on the chassis of course! :slight_smile:

Pete.

I confess that I used to have a gas camping heater when I first started, used in a Series 2 Scania with no night heater. It looked just like a more primitive version of THIS ONE, but the flame was far more open and it didn’t have feet. Bloody lethal, looking back, especially when I think about the number of times I fell asleep with it on. I dread to think what could have happened if it fell over… :open_mouth:

Lucy:
I confess that I used to have a gas camping heater when I first started, used in a Series 2 Scania with no night heater. It looked just like a more primitive version of THIS ONE, but the flame was far more open and it didn’t have feet. Bloody lethal, looking back, especially when I think about the number of times I fell asleep with it on. I dread to think what could have happened if it fell over… :open_mouth:

Risk of fire?
Risk of poisoning if flame extinguished?
Risk of poisoning if flame isn`t extinguished?
Risk of suffocation?

Risk of having Ricky or Diesel Dave give you a very severe lecturing…

My father drove an AECwith a timber framed cab for CM&S from Barnet I think. Anyway, he used to put a Valor paraffin heater in it overnight. Woken up in the middle of the night by a commotion in the street to find it burnt out. I think he moved on from there. :slight_smile: