Driver fined for running out of fuel

IronEddie:
Surely it’s only a matter of time before some idiot speeds into the back of a broken down car and kills people in what should be the hard shoulder.

Already happened
shropshirestar.com/news/201 … -shoulder/

And on M62 another truck hit a broken down (think it was a land/range rover)
In both cases it seems to be the usual unobservant following drivers usually in trucks with a better vantage point that make the mess so speeding probably doesn’t come into it.
I’m hoping/wishing anyone who hits a stationery vehicle is done for ‘driving without due care’ as a minimum, you’ve seen the amount of coverage that dumbass woman has got now.

Going to keep my gob shut, ran one out of fuel a couple of years ago, was personal vehicle and in an urban situation. Just tramped to the garage with the proverbial plastic jerry can.

simcor:

AndrewG:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:
Shouldn’t be allowed a driving licence, no excuse for running out of fuel on a motorway. Not difficult to ensure you have sufficient fuel for your journey.

Lucky there wasn’t an accident and her and her children seriously hurt or worse.

Really i drive 100% gas trucks and the gauges work on gas pressure which is unreliable we go on what range the company feels is achievable to get us there and back sometimes its squeeky bum time the needle can be buried in the red and still go for another 60 to 80 miles

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Then your as dopey as the woman for risking it and hoping that you have enough gas. Surely a common sense approach would be I’ll put some extra gas in when it starts to get low then I know for sure I have enough to get to where I am going! Why is that so difficult?

I have run out of fuel once in my entire driving career, I have been driving since 1995.

And to be fair I knew it was ridiculously low and ergo it was totally my fault for letting it get that low. But I was not on a motorway where there isn’t a safe place to stop. I nipped to the local shop instead of going to fill up.

Thank God pilots don’t kick the tyres and hope they have enough fuel in the tank to get there.

Secondly the other reason not to let a petrol/diesel vehicle run too low is because it will drag the sediment from the bottom of the tank and can cause blockages.

It could be vendetta runs a truck on CNG (biomethane), these dont exactly have a huge range and although im not in the UK would imagine that refuelling points are not exactly readily available…

I am aware that they use gas trucks and aware that fuelling stations that provide gas are fewer and far between. That is the reason we haven’t got any gas trucks that other depots have got who have places to fuel near them. But that still doesn’t mean just run it and hope their is enough gas does it?

I would find put where I could fill it up, and if I thought it was running low regardless of what the gauge says stick some more gas in. That’s my point. A company that also allows drivers to run low on fuel also needs a kick up the back side. Especially how costly running out of gas could be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simcor:

AndrewG:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:
Shouldn’t be allowed a driving licence, no excuse for running out of fuel on a motorway. Not difficult to ensure you have sufficient fuel for your journey.

Lucky there wasn’t an accident and her and her children seriously hurt or worse.

Really i drive 100% gas trucks and the gauges work on gas pressure which is unreliable we go on what range the company feels is achievable to get us there and back sometimes its squeeky bum time the needle can be buried in the red and still go for another 60 to 80 miles

Then your as dopey as the woman for risking it and hoping that you have enough gas. Surely a common sense approach would be I’ll put some extra gas in when it starts to get low then I know for sure I have enough to get to where I am going! Why is that so difficult?

I have run out of fuel once in my entire driving career, I have been driving since 1995.

And to be fair I knew it was ridiculously low and ergo it was totally my fault for letting it get that low. But I was not on a motorway where there isn’t a safe place to stop. I nipped to the local shop instead of going to fill up.

Thank God pilots don’t kick the tyres and hope they have enough fuel in the tank to get there.

Secondly the other reason not to let a petrol/diesel vehicle run too low is because it will drag the sediment from the bottom of the tank and can cause blockages.

It could be vendetta runs a truck on CNG (biomethane), these dont exactly have a huge range and although im not in the UK would imagine that refuelling points are not exactly readily available…

I am aware that they use gas trucks and aware that fuelling stations that provide gas are fewer and far between. That is the reason we haven’t got any gas trucks that other depots have got who have places to fuel near them. But that still doesn’t mean just run it and hope their is enough gas does it?

I would find put where I could fill it up, and if I thought it was running low regardless of what the gauge says stick some more gas in. That’s my point. A company that also allows drivers to run low on fuel also needs a kick up the back side. Especially how costly running out of gas could be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vendetta64:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:

Really you need to do your home work and find out how many CNG gas stations are in the uk if you think you can just nip into any fuel station then you really are deluded before we set off we all top off the gas because it will take another 10 to 15 kg of gas due to it settling

there is one at DIFT NORTHAMPTON

Running out of fuel after she has just passed Tibshelf is crazy.
OR
Was it a case of nearly home,leave fuelling up for the old man to do as she wouldn`t know what sort to put in or where to put it in.
Most likely never had to put fuel in because its always been done for her.

Maybe she didn’t run out maybe she just pulled up to catch up with the latest Jeremy Kyle or Loose Women, On serious note not like these modern cars don`t have all the bells and whistles going off at you when low fuel light come on, On my motor if once the needle is just about to hit the red or roughly 70 miles range it will give me audible warnings and also ask if i would like directions to the nearest garage.

I always thought it was illegal to change a tyre yourself on the motorway!!

Air start:
I always thought it was illegal to change a tyre yourself on the motorway!!

Why ?

Probably still cost her less to pay the fine than a full tank at motorway services. Bet she believed the “x miles left” on the dash despite it not actually changing from 20 miles fuel left for the past, well, 20 miles.

This came up yesterday, wasn’t sure what to do :smiley: :slight_smile: