Driver fined for running out of fuel

speedyguy:

Juddian:

speedyguy:

Juddian:

Why do you think hard shoulders make a difference ?

Jesus wept

You going for the sense of security option ■■ Doesn’t work in a lot of cases.

I would feel a darn sight more secure if my vehicle was on the hard shoulder, and me and my family were up on the bankside, than I would sitting in a vehicle in a live lane. Agreed you shouldn’t run short of fuel but many of us have done exactly that at sometime in our lives, I know that I have and had some ‘running on a wing and a prayer’ moments!.

Pete.

It’s amazing how common running out of fuel is and how many people do it a few miles after passing a service area. In the roadworks in our area, over half of car breakdowns in live lane were drivers running out of fuel. Not only stupid and dangerous but causes congestion which then has the risk of collisions in the tailback.

As for Smart motorways, if drivers drove to the correct standard, they wouldn’t be called dangerous. There’s many miles of fast A roads without hard shoulder.

It seems to me a high proportion of people you see carrying fuel cans on the M40, drive BMWs. Do they all believe the range display rather than the fuel gauge?
Nearly as bad as those who break down just after a layby. You must know something’s wrong?

Juddian:

speedyguy:

Juddian:

Jesus wept

Muppets driving into things parked on the hard shoulder.Let’s turn hard shoulders into live lanes that’ll fix it.

‘Smart motorways’ slower,more regulated,let’s make everyone drive at 50 mph in every lane including the hard shoulder,that’s progress.No surprise that attracts dumb drivers to suit the anything but ‘smart’ ‘motorway’. :unamused:

extrucker:
As for Smart motorways, if drivers drove to the correct standard, they wouldn’t be called dangerous. There’s many miles of fast A roads without hard shoulder.

If they thought that motorways didn’t need hard shoulders and that no hard shoulder is safer that’s how they would have designed them from day 1.Having said that it’s obvious that motorways are no longer seen as being used for their original design remit of faster=better and hard shoulder = safer by design.Often now being slower,subject to similar if not lower limits than the A/B road alternatives and with the idea of lane discipline intentionally consigned to the history books as part of that agenda in the change from relatively high speed to slow high capacity.In which case the downsides of using them outweigh any upsides now regardless.

Also certainly no surprise that the dim witted penny pinching muppets,which that regime has attracted onto them, would rather run on fumes to avoid motorway fuel prices.

Carryfast:

Juddian:

speedyguy:

Juddian:

Jesus wept

Muppets driving into things parked on the hard shoulder.Let’s turn hard shoulders into live lanes that’ll fix it.

‘Smart motorways’ slower,more regulated,let’s make everyone drive at 50 mph in every lane including the hard shoulder,that’s progress.No surprise that attracts dumb drivers to suit the anything but ‘smart’ ‘motorway’. :unamused:

Blame the numpties behind the steering wheels using the motorways not the system. Dual carriageway A roads have been here for eons , without hard shoulders, drivers have broken down on them too, for years, can’t remember a full scale incident being mentioned for these roads.

extrucker:
It’s amazing how common running out of fuel is and how many people do it a few miles after passing a service area. In the roadworks in our area, over half of car breakdowns in live lane were drivers running out of fuel. Not only stupid and dangerous but causes congestion which then has the risk of collisions in the tailback.

They used to post it on matrix signs how many drivers had run out of fuel in the roadworks the previous month. Shocking numbers.

vendetta64:

simcor:
Shouldn’t be allowed a driving licence, no excuse for running out of fuel on a motorway. Not difficult to ensure you have sufficient fuel for your journey.

Lucky there wasn’t an accident and her and her children seriously hurt or worse.

Really i drive 100% gas trucks and the gauges work on gas pressure which is unreliable we go on what range the company feels is achievable to get us there and back sometimes its squeeky bum time the needle can be buried in the red and still go for another 60 to 80 miles

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Then your as dopey as the woman for risking it and hoping that you have enough gas. Surely a common sense approach would be I’ll put some extra gas in when it starts to get low then I know for sure I have enough to get to where I am going! Why is that so difficult?

I have run out of fuel once in my entire driving career, I have been driving since 1995.

And to be fair I knew it was ridiculously low and ergo it was totally my fault for letting it get that low. But I was not on a motorway where there isn’t a safe place to stop. I nipped to the local shop instead of going to fill up.

Thank God pilots don’t kick the tyres and hope they have enough fuel in the tank to get there.

Secondly the other reason not to let a petrol/diesel vehicle run too low is because it will drag the sediment from the bottom of the tank and can cause blockages.

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:
Shouldn’t be allowed a driving licence, no excuse for running out of fuel on a motorway. Not difficult to ensure you have sufficient fuel for your journey.

Lucky there wasn’t an accident and her and her children seriously hurt or worse.

Really i drive 100% gas trucks and the gauges work on gas pressure which is unreliable we go on what range the company feels is achievable to get us there and back sometimes its squeeky bum time the needle can be buried in the red and still go for another 60 to 80 miles

Then your as dopey as the woman for risking it and hoping that you have enough gas. Surely a common sense approach would be I’ll put some extra gas in when it starts to get low then I know for sure I have enough to get to where I am going! Why is that so difficult?

I have run out of fuel once in my entire driving career, I have been driving since 1995.

And to be fair I knew it was ridiculously low and ergo it was totally my fault for letting it get that low. But I was not on a motorway where there isn’t a safe place to stop. I nipped to the local shop instead of going to fill up.

Thank God pilots don’t kick the tyres and hope they have enough fuel in the tank to get there.

Secondly the other reason not to let a petrol/diesel vehicle run too low is because it will drag the sediment from the bottom of the tank and can cause blockages.

It could be vendetta runs a truck on CNG (biomethane), these dont exactly have a huge range and although im not in the UK would imagine that refuelling points are not exactly readily available…

AndrewG:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:

It could be vendetta runs a truck on CNG (biomethane), these dont exactly have a huge range and although im not in the UK would imagine that refuelling points are not exactly readily available…

I am aware that they use gas trucks and aware that fuelling stations that provide gas are fewer and far between. That is the reason we haven’t got any gas trucks that other depots have got who have places to fuel near them. But that still doesn’t mean just run it and hope their is enough gas does it?

I would find put where I could fill it up, and if I thought it was running low regardless of what the gauge says stick some more gas in. That’s my point. A company that also allows drivers to run low on fuel also needs a kick up the back side. Especially how costly running out of gas could be.

simcor:

AndrewG:

I am aware that they use gas trucks and aware that fuelling stations that provide gas are fewer and far between. That is the reason we haven’t got any gas trucks that other depots have got who have places to fuel near them. But that still doesn’t mean just run it and hope their is enough gas does it?

I would find put where I could fill it up, and if I thought it was running low regardless of what the gauge says stick some more gas in. That’s my point. A company that also allows drivers to run low on fuel also needs a kick up the back side. Especially how costly running out of gas could be.

I agree, in any other case theres no reason to run out/low on fuel but… with CNG no one would use these on general haulage,most operators of these type of truck are supermarkets with a specified outward/return route and these operators most likely dont even provide a fuel card for refuelling as CNG isnt widely used and will have their own in house/bunker fuelling point. In most cases the gas tanks will be as large as the chassis will allow and range worked out to various drop points with enough gas for the return leg.

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:

Really you need to do your home work and find out how many CNG gas stations are in the uk if you think you can just nip into any fuel station then you really are deluded before we set off we all top off the gas because it will take another 10 to 15 kg of gas due to it settling

AndrewG:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:

Correct refueling points for CNG are few and far berween that is why we have long range tanks and higher pressure tanks fitted up from 200 bar to 250 bar to accomodate more gas giving a 500 mile range

simcor:

AndrewG:

simcor:

vendetta64:

simcor:

I take it you have never driven a gas truck because if you did you will see how unreliable the gauges are on them even brand new one are bad so yiu are always hoping that diversion hold ups and other things you encounter daily dont eat up you supply because even when the gauge show red and your well in it there is still another 50 to 60 mile range you just dont know thats the point i was making not that we were reckless in driving them you just have no idea and gas is measured in kilograms not litres

When I started driving we didn’t have fuel cards, we just had an account at three companies in the UK. Penrith, Greenwich and Widnes so we had to fill up when passing these places. A Sunday afternoon jaunt to Scotland meant leaving Home earlier because the garage closed at 4.30, we put 20 gallon in to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the warning signs about running out of fuel still on the A9 running towards La Jonquera?
There was a problem with truck drivers putting in just enough diesel to get themselves into Spain for cheap diesel, but getting it wrong so stopping on the last motorway hill. The signs warned drivers that they would be fined if they ran out of fuel.

Franglais:
Are the warning signs about running out of fuel still on the A9 running towards La Jonquera?
There was a problem with truck drivers putting in just enough diesel to get themselves into Spain for cheap diesel, but getting it wrong so stopping on the last motorway hill. The signs warned drivers that they would be fined if they ran out of fuel.

Cant remember seeing the warning signs Franglais but do know the fuel stations, all 5 of them are on the Spanish side at La Jonquera.
1480 litres sees me well back into Spain from the return to Calais. Even so, ill only splash the bottom of the tank, enough to get me back to Malaga for even cheaper bunker fuel.

AndrewG:

Franglais:

Cant remember seeing the warning signs Franglais but do know the fuel stations, all 5 of them are on the Spanish side at La Jonquera.
1480 litres sees me well back into Spain from the return to Calais. Even so, ill only splash the bottom of the tank, enough to get me back to Malaga for even cheaper bunker fuel.

I remember you saying Spanish fuel was expensive Andrew!
Im sure they were there at one time. But like other bits of the scenery, signs tend to melt into the background, and its almost a year since I went that way so Im none too sure they still exist. 5 fuel stations in La Jonquera? Whod want to buy a concession selling fuel, booze or baccy in Le Boulou? :open_mouth:

Franglais:

AndrewG:

Franglais:

I remember you saying Spanish fuel was expensive Andrew!
Im sure they were there at one time. But like other bits of the scenery, signs tend to melt into the background, and its almost a year since I went that way so Im none too sure they still exist. 5 fuel stations in La Jonquera? Whod want to buy a concession selling fuel, booze or baccy in Le Boulou? :open_mouth:

Im the same mate, its been a while since ive been that way as its not my usual route. You may well be right, the signs are probably there its just ive not noticed them, as you will well know that particular stretch of road can be chaotic at times :open_mouth:
Re fuel cost, i agree, even Spanish fuel isnt cheap any more, but id sooner pay Espana prices than those in France :wink:

Stupid to have run out of fuel. I presume the gauge is pretty bleeding obvious in her car, isn’t faulty either.

On the m6 today a car had broken down in the live lane that once was the hard shoulder. I witnessed several cars go passed the first gantry showing the X and it hadn’t just changed either. Watched one car move out of the hard shoulder lane in time to not pass the gantry on X only to move back in after the gantry. Then back out again before the next gantry still showing X.

Surely it’s only a matter of time before some idiot speeds into the back of a broken down car and kills people in what should be the hard shoulder.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk