Driver falling asleep

M6 north this morning going through ■■■■■■■ I was behind a rigid where the driver was clearly falling asleep. Swerving all over the place. I sat back to keep out of his way and another truck pulled out out to go past me and then the rigid kept swerving into lane 2 and back again. Other truck had to slam on and initially flashed his lights. When he realised the driver wouldn’t see the lights as he was clearly dozing off, the next time he nearly swerved into him he gave a good long blast of the horn which seemed to do the trick to wake the guy up as he stopped swerving then.

Frightening to think how easily he could have swerved over a car and flattened it with someone incident people in it.

Brings up the old discussion … drive tired and get paid … or do not drive when tired for safety and do not get paid/possibly fired

In reality what would members on here do :question:

ROG:
Brings up the old discussion … drive tired and get paid … or do not drive when tired for safety and do not get paid/possibly fired

In reality what would members on here do :question:

15 mins power nap… and coffee…
don’t have a long sleep though… it makes things a lot worse…

It wasn’t Minger was it? Not too keen on sleep by all accounts. :wink:

the maoster:
It wasn’t Minger was it? Not too keen on sleep by all accounts. :wink:

They are clearly the “I will sleep when I’m dead” type.

Being tired at the wheel is seen as an occupational hazard.
This is so wrong, as Rog already mentioned, many a driver is too scared of his P45 to do what’s best their own and the publics safety.

How do you know he was nodding off? He might’ve been on facebook, having a jodrell, or worst of all, trying to construct a carryfast length reply on trucknet :stuck_out_tongue:

Being tired at the wheel is seen as an occupational hazard.
This is so wrong, as Rog already mentioned, many a driver is too scared of his P45 to do what’s best their own and the publics safety.

Apologies for that swerving today mate.

I was busy looking at my Motorway Service Area of GB map. Fancied a coffee (I was really ti

red at the time).

Sorry about that disjointed post folks. I nodded off for a minute.

OVLOV JAY:
How do you know he was nodding off? He might’ve been on facebook, having a jodrell, or worst of all, trying to construct a carryfast length reply on trucknet :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought it could be something like this to begin with but then after a while and just the way it was you could tell it wasn’t that. He was going so far over into lane 2 or the hard shoulder before swerving back…if he was consciously doing it…well no driver would have consciously done it the way it was. Heart skipped a beat watching it waiting for a truck to snack the embankment or central reservation.

I could tell it was sleeping at the wheel. You could just tell. Simple as that

I was once slowly catching a swerving lorry on the motorway and when I pulled level with him I looked over and he was actually driving with his eyes shut :open_mouth: all very scary so a long blast on the horn brought him back to life and I’m sure he appreciated it as he gave me a little wave and when I pulled in I kept my eye on him for a while in me mirror and he seemed to be ok after that.

OVLOV JAY:
trying to construct a carryfast length reply on trucknet :stuck_out_tongue:

Or possibly reading one? :open_mouth:

mabey he had made a point of trying to read one from start to finish and that’s what put him to sleep…
mum,i cant sleep…ive tried mogadon,temazepam and snorting embalming fluid…have you tried reading a c/f topic?..il do it now mum…how you getting on there son…hello??..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree with earlier posts, driving tired seen as occupational hazard when it shouldnt be, id assume (and yes thats stupid I know) im kinda in the middle ground. Yes there are times when ive driven tired and just tried to push through cos the job needs tobget done, there are also times when ive took an 11 when I should have been on a 9 vos I just wasnt awake enough, or times ive rang in and just said tough its going in this msa for 15/30 cos im wrecked and im gonna break something if I dont stop. Think the main reason re a P45 is the office or the boss querying ‘what were you doing last night so you’ve not had enough sleep’. ive had justifiable reasons, and also unjustifiable ones (I started a new tv series and wanted to know what happened next is not a justifiable reason!!)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Always stop for a 10 minute nap, don`t care about anything else, even do it if I am in the car, or on the bike, never, ever drive tired, just not worth it, for anything.

Just stop and get ya head down for an hour … not worth the risk did it yesterday felt my eye lids closing … :blush:

I had it earlier on M6 thru Staffs,wagon and drag all over the first 2 lanes.Later on at the roadworks,the traffic got moving again all apart from one lane.When I went past he was fast asleep in the middle lane,with a lovely queue behind him.

OVLOV JAY:
How do you know he was nodding off? He might’ve been on facebook, having a jodrell, or worst of all, trying to construct a carryfast length reply on trucknet

You mock, coming across the M42 one particular night and there was a rigid in the distance weaving left and right. Of course I thought just like Rowley, your man’s falling asleep.
Eventually pulls out to pass him and there it was, nice big phone positioned in the middle of the steering wheel. He soon put it down when I backed off and let him come level with me.