Driver facing cameras

we are getting new motors this weekend…
supposed to be all about FORS and all the safety stuff…
don’t know yet but i suspect they might have driver facing cameras…
how do we stand with these and the privacy laws ?
would our company LEGALLY need our written permission to be filmed ?

Taken from Citizens Advice website…

‘Except in extremely limited circumstances, employers must take reasonable steps to let staff know that monitoring is happening, what is being monitored and why it is necessary.

Employers who can justify monitoring once they have carried out a proper impact assessment will usually not need the consent of individual members of staff’

citizensadvice.org.uk/work/ … g-at-work/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear…here we go.

It won’t be long before inward facing cameras become intelligent, and able to recognise misdemeanours, such as drivers taking eyes off the road for more than a given number of seconds, drinking a sneaky coffee, or god forbid, yawning. And what will happen when it has recognised such? It will automatically send the footage to DVSA (as a future condition of belonging to FORS), and the offender either fined, re-educated, or sacked.

The future is bleak.

Norfolkinclue1:
Oh dear…here we go.

I was thinking the same.

All the boys on that work for companies that we know have them fitted, but come on here saying they would walk if ever they had one in their cab…

ezydriver:
It won’t be long before inward facing cameras become intelligent, and able to recognise misdemeanours, such as drivers taking eyes off the road for more than a given number of seconds, drinking a sneaky coffee, or god forbid, yawning. And what will happen when it has recognised such? It will automatically send the footage to DVSA (as a future condition of belonging to FORS), and the offender either fined, re-educated, or sacked.

The future is bleak.

DHL have had something in the cab that detects when you are tired, I had a “voice” tell me to pull over one morning going south on the M1…Scared the living daylights out of me…never did need that “rest”, talk about adrenalin :open_mouth:

I know it was trial between Volvo + DHL, and it was a few years ago, not too sure if it progressed any further …

Speak to your union immediately, yes you can stop them going in, but if you aint in the union you’ll really struggle.

Stanley Mitchell:

ezydriver:

The future is bleak.

DHL have had something in the cab that detects when you are tired, I had a “voice” tell me to pull over one morning going south on the M1…Scared the living daylights out of me…never did need that “rest”, talk about adrenalin :open_mouth:

I know it was trial between Volvo + DHL, and it was a few years ago, not too sure if it progressed any further …

Was just going to say the technology is already up and running. A coach company in Holland have been using it. Bovo Tours I think.

Juddian:
Speak to your union immediately, yes you can stop them going in, but if you aint in the union you’ll really struggle.

There is quite a discount on the insurance if they are specified by the insurers, or, if you have had a bad spell with bumps, you will have to fit them or you won`t get insured…

Stanley Mitchell:

ezydriver:

The future is bleak.

I’d abuse that to the extreme for the overtime.

Boss: “why you 2 hours late back, ezy?”
Ezy: “a voice kept telling me to pull over to rest”
Boss: “errr…”
Ezy: “6 o’clock tonight yeah? see ya later” walks out with smile on face

It’s just a way for firms to pass the buck…should the worse happen.
I can see it now…
“During the period between 0131 and 0145 on the 12th of August 2018…driver x,was seen to blink 253 times.
Studies have shown that excessive eye movement indicates extreme fatigue.
I put it to you driver x…”

Either cover it up or don’t drive for them

Stanley Mitchell:

Juddian:

There is quite a discount on the insurance if they are specified by the insurers, or, if you have had a bad spell with bumps, you will have to fit them or you won`t get insured…

An insurer might offer a discount, whether it works out cost effective after fitting an entire fleet with super expensive cameras i’m not sure.

As for a bad spell of bumps, well the blame for that usually lies at managements door, if they hire cheap and treat their good staff like lepers they’ll soon end up with the standard of staff anyone normal would expect, then to compound their previous errors further ‘one size fits all’ and ‘lowest common denominator’ styles of man management kick in, which helps give the remaining few good drivers the push they needed to find another job.
If an outfit are having such a run that they can’t get insured then they’ve really got it wrong.

The thing with driver facing cameras is what is the point?, when the incompetent do their worse and the army of admin/gaffers all gather sniggering round the (data protected :unamused: ) video monitor to watch the accident unfolding, all they are going to see is a variety of gormless expressions as what they got cheap does as anyone would expect.

Go on, think back over the last few years to the blameworthy crashes at your place and probably the much higher incidence of negligent damage that has happened, the usual suspects will be well represented there, you know that and so do i and i don’t work there, it’s the same story at every company.
But i bet you like everywhere else have got a reliable careful ■■■■■■■■ of good drivers who seldom if ever have any issues, you just hand them their notes and forget about them cos they just do what must be done…but those good drivers are going to be assumed to be incompetent cases just like the usual crashers…it’s lowest common denominator management and it only goes to alienate your best staff, who do not grow on trees.

What would be more interesting legally, is if it is possible to “sack a driver” for going out of their way to sabotage the driver-facing camera…

Eg. Stick a bit of masking tape over the cabeye, but leave all the outside ones working normally…

commonrail:
It’s just a way for firms to pass the buck…should the worse happen.
I can see it now…
“During the period between 0131 and 0145 on the 12th of August 2018…driver x,was seen to blink 253 times.
Studies have shown that excessive eye movement indicates extreme fatigue.
I put it to you driver x…”

Either cover it up or don’t drive for them

Or could the company be in the cart?
If a driver was showing signs of fatigue, and the company did not make his job less onerous, would they be culpable? Wouldn`t they have a duty to ensure that drivers were not being routinely given work that caused excessive, and hence dangerous fatigue?

Of course there are alternative scenarios: “Youre a lazy git, heres your P.45!” :open_mouth:

That’s not the way to do it Winseer, instead if the company go about implementation badly…i won’t say too much cos why should people not in the union benefit from good research and back up…then if a driver feels so stressed over the invasion of privacy that he has no option but to leave, then he has a very good case for constructive dismissal, and that isn’t ■■■■■■■■ it’s stated on the .gov website.

Franglais, you raise a very good point there, these companies are not fully thinking things through.

Franglais:
Or could the company be in the cart?

Could be,but an inwards facing camera gives them more chance of climbing out.

devote your working life to us,but we’ll ■■■■ you up the arse…should you ■■■■ up.

Juddian:

Stanley Mitchell:

Juddian:

An insurer might offer a discount, whether it works out cost effective after fitting an entire fleet with super expensive cameras i’m not sure.

As for a bad spell of bumps, well the blame for that usually lies at managements door, if they hire cheap and treat their good staff like lepers they’ll soon end up with the standard of staff anyone normal would expect, then to compound their previous errors further ‘one size fits all’ and ‘lowest common denominator’ styles of man management kick in, which helps give the remaining few good drivers the push they needed to find another job.
If an outfit are having such a run that they can’t get insured then they’ve really got it wrong.

The thing with driver facing cameras is what is the point?, when the incompetent do their worse and the army of admin/gaffers all gather sniggering round the (data protected :unamused: ) video monitor to watch the accident unfolding, all they are going to see is a variety of gormless expressions as what they got cheap does as anyone would expect.

Go on, think back over the last few years to the blameworthy crashes at your place and probably the much higher incidence of negligent damage that has happened, the usual suspects will be well represented there, you know that and so do i and i don’t work there, it’s the same story at every company.
But i bet you like everywhere else have got a reliable careful ■■■■■■■■ of good drivers who seldom if ever have any issues, you just hand them their notes and forget about them cos they just do what must be done…but those good drivers are going to be assumed to be incompetent cases just like the usual crashers…it’s lowest common denominator management and it only goes to alienate your best staff, who do not grow on trees.

In one!!! In every aspect and it applies to every industry currently.
I got out of senior management when this all started to become invasive in my industry(Food manufacture) 10 years ago I had resisted treating all my staff like children for 5 years and then the insurance companies started insisting on certain conditions to provide cover, then the supermarkets teamed up with it all and for me, it was the end of a nice, friendly, jolly place to be…No leeway, no mistakes allowed, every single step documented and the talk of cameras to ensure food safety…That was just the tip of a very large iceburg.

I am not a number, a drone, a bot a consumable item, I am a human being, a good one, a diligent and fair one and my integrity is the only thing I shall take to my grave, I have no interest in anything else, as all follows if you possess integrity…A rare commodity these days and one which is no longer recognised or valued.

Tick boxes, shall one day be obsolete.

Trukkertone:
we are getting new motors this weekend…
supposed to be all about FORS and all the safety stuff…
don’t know yet but i suspect they might have driver facing cameras…
how do we stand with these and the privacy laws ?
would our company LEGALLY need our written permission to be filmed ?

Their trucks, permission not needed.

I guess you’ll be handing in your notice on Monday if they are?

My space…permission needed

■■■■ your job

Conor:
Their trucks, permission not needed.

I guess you’ll be handing in your notice on Monday if they are?

A little tip; try not to be so obnoxious with your replies and you might get taken more seriously. You’re obviously an educated guy who is perfectly capable of getting your usually good points across so why do you feel the need to attempt to belittle everyone when you reply? This isn’t meant as a dig at you Conor 'cos as I reiterate your points are usually very valid but you seem to think that as it’s the internet you can talk to strangers in a way I guarantee you wouldn’t face to face with someone. Unless you’re actually Chuck Norris that is. :wink: