Driver Experince

Hello All

Im currently employed but am finishing this job in a couple of years. I have always been drawn to truck driving and decided that this is what I wanted to do when I finished. The Master Plan was to obtain my licences and then drive on my days off to get experience so when I do finish this job I can say that I have experience and have a better chance.

Anyway to cut a long story short. After I obtained my licences I went to a few driver agencies and they wouldn’t entertain me saying that I needed at least two years experience. MMMM I thought, vicious circle. Cant get a job as I haven’t got the experience and haven’t got the experience so I can’t get a job.

Well, I then fell on my feet. Through a friend of a friend of a friend as is sometimes the case, Ive been given the chance to start with a local haulage company, as per my Master Plan. Ive been open and honest. I was asked if right now, would I be able to load a truck, transport this to its destination, unload it, etc etc and do all the other things that truck drivers do, tachographs, working time directive, reversing in impossible locations etc etc. The simple answer is no.

When I did my driver training, although it was very comprehensive and I passed both, each with only two minors I didn’t learn anything about the haulage business. My driver trainings only purpose was to get me to a level to pass the driving tests at both C and C+E level, which I did. I even drove a wag+drag on my C+E and have never driven or un-coupled or coupled an arctic. Now you can see the issues Im facing.

Now Im going out on Friday with an experienced driver who is going to start show me the ropes. To say the least Im a little nervous. Im 44 years old and Im experienced in the job Im doing at the moment. Im usually a confident person but very apprehensive as I really don’t know anything about the haulage business.

Has anyone been in this same situation. Well thinking about it all new drivers have. How did you get to learn, or were you all thrown in the deep end. Im sure Ill make mistakes but mistakes with a huge truck with a big load can be disastrous.

I saw a post showing a link to a video of a driver doing what I was thought was an excellent reverse in a tight spot. I thought that I have no chance. Then the responses from some of the experienced drivers said it was pretty poor. MMMM, hope none of you watch me on my first one.

Would it not be better for the haulage business to have a driver apprenticeship scheme. This could even be taking the person right from the start, even without his licences and training him up to a very competent level.

Anyway, any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Noddy220:
I saw a post showing a link to a video of a driver doing what I was thought was an excellent reverse in a tight spot. I thought that I have no chance. Then the responses from some of the experienced drivers said it was pretty poor. MMMM, hope none of you watch me on my first one.

All videos on the Internet are accompanied by comments saying that everything’s being done wrong. It wouldn’t matter if it was Van Gogh painting, Einstein doing maths or Peter Stringfellow shagging, the same bunch of illiterate adolescents would be wading in with their criticism.

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Everybody has (secretly, if not publicly) been worried about reversing, and the differences between your W&D couple up and artic couple up will take you about 30 seconds to master.

It’s a tiny, tiny percentage of mistakes that lead to ‘disaster’, the rest of them will just frighten/embarrass/teach you. Sounds like you’ve already got the confidence to be honest about your inexperience and ask questions, and almost nobody minds an honest request for advice or help seeing you back.

Noddy220:
The Master Plan was to obtain my licences and then drive on my days off to get experience so when I do finish this job I can say that I have experience and have a better chance.

If you have a fulltime job, you can’t do that legally other than one day every other week in order to meet the requirements for weekly rest periods as non-driving work counts as other work for EU drivers hours regs. And if you did 8hrs from starting at 8am on the Friday in your normal job, on the Friday you’d not legally be able to work past 11pm on Friday night or start before 9hrs after you finished work to do a full days driving. You would also need 45hrs off between finishing driving and then starting work the next week in your main job which could be reduced to 24hrs every other week.

I didn’t have a clue when I started . I had no background in road transport whatsoever, just went straight in at the deep end.

Anything you aren’t sure about, just ask another driver.

Here are your keys and here is your map. Your due there at 10 goodbye.

Hi mate

Its only natural to be nervous. Im a class 2 driver and its hard to get regular work as im only 23. My first few weeks were with a general haulage company using 18t flat beds. Was told what to pick up, where to go and that all chains and straps are in the vechile :open_mouth: :open_mouth: lol but i did it and was moving poratkabins the next week, needless to say the motors were horrendous :unamused:

We all have to start somewhere, and if ever im in doubt i just ask. Just got bk from driving a nice 2011 scania, so moving up the ladder now.

Your gonna get gd and bad days as in any other job, just take your time and be safe.

Safe driving
Ben