Driver expected to also stack shelves, is this for real?

Carryfast:

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

Star down under.:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: Carryfast will be beside himself and telling us how it will break the drivers’ backs. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No just saying told you so.For a supposed ‘driver’ you seem strangely and unbelievably a bit too keen on the warehouse labourer job role.

Oh god here we go, 15 pages of tripe and waffle from the failed lorry driver Carryfast to follow, with the usual warehouse deputies/site labourer crap.

Not unless you’re saying that I started the topic under a false account.
The irony when your definition of a lorry driver means the role of warehouse labourer to fill the unwanted unfilled vacancies and save the costs of hiring warehouse staff and minimise truck mileages.
Doesn’t bother me I’ve got no intention of driving trucks again.Good luck with the future of the industry that the government has planned for it.

Where do you get this tripe from?

I DRIVE usually 8 to 10 hours a day, and I rarely even have to attach the pipes to the tank myself. The rest of the day is spend watching tripe on YouTube, or Truckmumsnet. In my own cab.

SHOP deliveries have always meant a certain amount of handballing/lugging into the shop. Part of the job.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
The irony when your definition of a lorry driver means the role of warehouse labourer to fill the unwanted unfilled vacancies and save the costs of hiring warehouse staff and minimise truck mileages.
Good luck with the future of the industry that the government has planned for it.

I’m sure myself and the tens of thousands of drivers up and down the country who work in jobs where we do nothing of the sort of things you have brainwashed yourself into believing we do will be just fine!

Yeah but that’s nothing to CFs collection of random job adverts that mention unloading or warehouse duties.

toonsy:

tmcassett:

Carryfast:
Doesn’t bother me I’ve got no intention of driving trucks again.

Probably for the best seeing as you have proven yourself unemployable in the lorry world for over 20 years and no employer will evidently touch you with a bargepole.

To be fair even when he did have grand intentions he ultimately failed. At a time when it was almost impossible to fail too :laughing:

Yeah but that’s because he wasn’t at the front of the mythical pecking order for all those Euro driving jobs! :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:
Yeah but that’s nothing to CFs collection of random job adverts that mention unloading or warehouse duties.

Don’t worry he will be frantically searching the job sites as we speak to find those few exceptions so he can try and prove that we are “all” doing that!

the nodding donkey:

His head, maybe as a justification for the fact he failed miserably to achieve what he wanted while others did not.

tmcassett:

the nodding donkey:

His head, maybe as a justification for the fact he failed miserably to achieve what he wanted while others did not.

I would argue that the vast majority of us on here have failed…

If you set out to fail, and do so, have you succeeded?

eagerbeaver:

Poor Carryfast as that means the failure is twice as bad!
:open_mouth:

eagerbeaver:

tmcassett:

the nodding donkey:

Depends entirely on how you define failure i suppose

SHOP deliveries have always meant a certain amount of handballing/lugging into the shop. Part of the job

I have no issue doing what I would call part of the job with shop drop, but actually taking the goods out of the cages, and then actually stacking them onto the shelves is different, as someone mentioned, on agency they had a body with them to do this part, and they helped them, but then offered a perm role, and expected to do the same job with no additional body to stack the shelves, creates a question, why didnt they ask agency drivers to do it, because they would look for another job the following week.

Don’t really see the problem myself!

No point saying it’s not part of the job because it’s obviously part of this job. Probably better paid than the average class 2 job and there’s plenty of other jobs if it doesn’t suit you.

And come on - can you really expect Starbucks to employ a shelf stacker on nights to put away one delivery a night :unamused:

crunch13:
And come on - can you really expect Starbucks to employ a shelf stacker on nights to put away one delivery a night :unamused:

You get the day staff to put it away first thing in the morning

msgyorkie:

crunch13:

You get the day staff to put it away first thing in the morning

What it if it needs to be in the fridge and there isn’t a walk in fridge?

It’s not a job I’d want to do myself but as long as it’s made clear at interview so any potential employee can make an informed decision, I don’t see how it’s taking the ■■■■?

Nowhere on my license does it say I don’t have to do any duties except driving because I’ve got a class 1 on it. So I’ve just picked a job where I’m happy to do what’s expected of me.

Lots of people gobbing off about nothing they have any knowledge of.

My mate has resently started on a Starbucks contract and loves it. He gets the cage or cages off the truck, his mucker opens the store and stacks the shelves, he puts the cages back on the truck while the other guy locks the store and repeat. The money is not bad either

But the concensus is that he is an idiot and undermining fellow truckers.

thehairyarsedtrucker:
his mucker opens the store and stacks the shelves

If that means…

He has a drivers mate, then no wonder he’s happy.

thehairyarsedtrucker:

My mate has resently started on a Starbucks contract and loves it. He gets the cage or cages off the truck, his mucker opens the store and stacks the shelves, he puts the cages back on the truck while the other guy locks the store and repeat. The money is not bad either

…and therein lies the problem… talking about two different situations:-

Personally, it’s simple…

Want me to stand idly by while a gopher stacks the shelves, mops the floor, change the bulbs or anything else that they demand?
No problem… that’s what gophers are for.

Want me to stack the shelves, mop (or anything else!)…sure — I’ll do it ONCE… but, (and it’s a big but) believe me when I say that it is going to take me so long to get those jobs done before I drive off, that you’re either going to give me a gopher, or make sure I never get asked to do it again!

thehairyarsedtrucker:

The question from the original poster was “Are the drivers having to take the goods out the cages now and actually stack the shelves…”

Your post has answered that question nicely…NO the driver does not stack the shelves.

Case solved! :smiley:

If it’s in the job description, and reflected in the pay, I don’t see what the problem is.
If somebody likes what’s on offer, they take the job. If somebody doesn’t like it, they don’t take the job. Simples. Ò

No different from multidrop or tramping,

crunch13:
It’s not a job I’d want to do myself but as long as it’s made clear at interview so any potential employee can make an informed decision, I don’t see how it’s taking the ■■■■?

Nowhere on my license does it say I don’t have to do any duties except driving because I’ve got a class 1 on it. So I’ve just picked a job where I’m happy to do what’s expected of me.

Spot on!

I have always been baffled why some drivers think that they shouldn’t be expected to do anything other than drive just because they have an HGV licence.

A job entails whatever the employer decides they want it to entail and you have a choice whether to work for that company or not. In this case, Starbucks are expecting the employee to deliver to a shop/shops and unload stock into the store room, onto shelves etc, absolutely nothing wrong with that - would I want it personally, no! But they shouldn’t be criticised or ridiculed for specifying that’s what they are after.

In reality we all know a lot of the jobs out there require you to just pretty much drive and/or do the bare minimum beside that - opening back doors/curtains, trailer swapping, strapping loads, pushing cages to the back of the trailer/taillift and so on.

My first job back in 2012 was multi dropping to Chinese takeaways in an Artic (not fun) with a drivers mate, handballing heavy drums of oil, sacks of rice, tinned stock up and down stairs and into basements. The job was the absolute pits and I only took it to get my foot in the door as I was a new driver with no experience, saying that, at no point did I think the work was below me because the job involved something other than driving.

Doing this between drops… with a couple of cages worth of goods… was why I questioned if it was true… but it is, and it is what it is … I just wanted to know if it was or not…
quite therapeutic actually watching it, guess for starbucks its more just a fridge to fill and sandwiches isnt it ■■? dont use the places…

not actual shelves like this, as this is what I was visualising when the person was telling me, and just thought it would take forever with 10+ drops…

https://youtu.be/k7vRkP8MYg4?t=7

although if Asda start doing it, with class 1 drivers, think it would be one ■■■■ long shift emptying all those pallets, and finding the isle where the products go, I struggle to find stuff just shopping at the best of times … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: