Driver CPC

SWraith:
I read about it in T&D and it confused the hell out of me. I mean I hold both D and C+E so which one do I go for and will one cover the other■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

skillsforlogistics.org/en/ja … ext-gen145

If a driver uses both PCV and LGV licences professionally, do they need to do two lots of 35 hrs periodic training every 5 years?

No. The Directive states that the holder of a vocational licence for PCV / LGV need only complete 35 hours course attendance in a 5 year period.

Denis F:

SWraith:
I read about it in T&D and it confused the hell out of me. I mean I hold both D and C+E so which one do I go for and will one cover the other■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

skillsforlogistics.org/en/ja … ext-gen145

If a driver uses both PCV and LGV licences professionally, do they need to do two lots of 35 hrs periodic training every 5 years?

No. The Directive states that the holder of a vocational licence for PCV / LGV need only complete 35 hours course attendance in a 5 year period.

Thanks Denis & smart. I still think its a stupid idea, I mean we paid £1600 for lessons and a test and the government still tell us we aint professional enough.

as usual it will be small companies that struggle

i bet the likes of Argos will do it in house

i think Magna have 3 driver / trainer assessors already so putting 1 or 2 thru a teacher course will be worthwhile as they have nigh on 100 full time drivers

maybe regular agency staff will be able to piggy back back in house courses
for a smaller than commercial fee :laughing:

asked if our firm will be giving agy drivers the training(so as to keep good lads on)not allowed for some reason?but by that point,i must admit,id started to nod a bit :frowning:

whooshwhoosh:
asked if our firm will be giving agy drivers the training(so as to keep good lads on)not allowed for some reason?but by that point,i must admit,id started to nod a bit :frowning:

A ‘canny’ agency could give their drivers a weeks free course every year if they stayed with them :wink: :bulb: :question:

ROG:
This is a very simple explanation for the two types of DRIVER CPC.
It deliberately does not go into any sort of detail as a lot of the details have not yet been finalised.

There are TWO types of DRIVER CPC.

The INITIAL (to get a C or C1 licence) & the PERIODIC (ongoing) for when you have the C1, C or C+E licence

The INITIAL driver cpc is purely for a C or C1 licence acquisition and is about the same as what is done now but with some senario questions added as an extra theory test and a half hour extra of questions about certain areas of safety which may include physically showing the examiner how to strap, chain, rope a load etc

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be (unless they change it) an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions - the 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.( 2 x 3.5 hours)

I do not know what it will cover or consist of because the DSA etc have not finalised it yet :exclamation:

If you have a C1, C or C+E licence on Sept 10 2009 then the 35 hours will need to be done by Sept 2014 to retain your right to drive for HIRE or REWARD - it does NOT affect your right to retain your LGV licence.

Those that pass the INITIAL driver cpc after Sept 10 2009 will have to do their PERIODIC driver cpc within 5 years from their pass date - the 5 year expiry date should be on the issued DRIVER CPC CARD.

The medical requirements will not change.

The upgrading to a C+E licence will not change from what it is now.

I Hope that I have managed to make things a little clearer and I regret that I cannot offer any more positive info than I have already put here :slight_smile:

So does that mean if I dont go in for my PCV CPC I will keep my licence but just do the CPC if I ever need it for a job?

Reef:
There is no F…ing way im paying £155 + vat x 5 which equates to £910.63

If my company wont pay it then i’ll be hanging my keys up in 2014 as there is no way i can afford that

To bloody right, I am applying for all the jobs I can that do not involve having a HGV license, time to get out of it now me thinks.

bowserman wrote:-

So does that mean if I dont go in for my PCV CPC I will keep my licence but just do the CPC if I ever need it for a job?

That is correct, you only need the driver cpc in order to work vocationally. Your catD will stay on your licence as long as you are medically fit. If at a later stage you choose to take up vocational driving again, you will have to do the periodic training of 35 hours only, in order to gain driver cpc and your DQC card (Driver Qualifiaction Card).

wont hgv driving be classed as a skilled job from 10th september 2014 as we you will have to have ur cpc from then to work for hire and reward?

Smart Mart:

That is correct, you only need the driver cpc in order to work vocationally. Your catD will stay on your licence as long as you are medically fit. If at a later stage you choose to take up vocational driving again, you will have to do the periodic training of 35 hours only, in order to gain driver cpc and your DQC card (Driver Qualifiaction Card).

Thats good news. Dont see myself going back on the busses, but did not want to lose the licence, just in case!! Probably find that the bus company would put you through it anyway.

bowserman:

Smart Mart:

Thats good news. Dont see myself going back on the busses, but did not want to lose the licence, just in case!! Probably find that the bus company would put you through it anyway.

If you do the periodic LGV driver cpc then that will also count as the periodic PCV driver cpc - 1 lot of 35 hours covers BOTH :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just an afterthought bowserman. If you have a Cat C or CE you will have to do driver cpc for that to be able to work as a driver and that periodic training also covers for your cat D. In other words you only have to do one period of 35 hours periodic training to cover all vocational licences.

Snap Rog! :smiley:

thanx for all your help

the moral of the storey is if you wan’t to keep driveing trucks the you have to do the driver cpc where you have to pay or the company pays

I have a question… if 35 hours of training is enough for C+E as well as D, why do we need 35 hours for one? Or is the mixed training for both categories somehow missing something? Or is this “training” a simple waste of time?

allikat:
I have a question… if 35 hours of training is enough for C+E as well as D, why do we need 35 hours for one? Or is the mixed training for both categories somehow missing something? Or is this “training” a simple waste of time?

I must admit that this bit got me as well - if this driver cpc is supposed to cover what the driver does for a living and it is supposed to be tailored towards that, then how, if a driver does the LGV tailored one, is that supposed to cover what the driver does for their PCV :question: :question: :confused: :confused: - don’t make sense to me

Well for example I understand the Red Cross are to have a first aid course approved, ao that is geneal training which is suitable for both C & D & CE - there is no point in doing the same course for each category. Likewise a course on tachographs/drivers hours would be the same for all categories. Something along the lines of customer service/relations could cover all as well.

So there is a lot of overlap possible as far as I see it. I’m one of course who has C,D & CE licences so the more relevant to all classes the better for me.

I know there will be a lot of overlap of the LGV & PCV periodic driver cpc ‘training’ - drivers hours etc, but what about the bit that they propose to be tailored towards the current job :question:

This is the bit I think they will have the most probs with as some have PCV, some LGV and some of those do agency work which encompassess a multitude of differing types of jobs - this is going to be FUN :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’ll bet, in the end, we finish up with a set course for everyone, no matter what they do.

anyone want to guess what that might consist of :question:

General H&S for 7 hours?
Tacho hours (incl WTD) for 7 hours?
Basic safety vehicle checks for 7 hours ? :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

any other ideas :question: :question: :question:

serious cant wait for the cpc to come along :unamused:

i wonder if id get much for selling pillows at the door for 2 quid a pop?
im sure as hell taking one with me.

I like the idea of the safed bit on gear changing… my current home has a ZF autobox, and I know how to work it thanks, easy, relaxed driving means don’t put your foot down too hard… Is it me? Or is this CPC starting to sound obsolete before it’s even in place?

Ok, I could do with my 1st aid ticket being renewed, and a session on load securing may (or may not) come in handy… so, what do I do with my other 3 days of training??

What will I get out of it that will actually improve my skills?