Driver CPC

Well, this is good news for Luke and fingers crossed it all works out.

I was told you can’t get a dcpc course on nightshift anymore because jaupt auditors don’t work those hours anymore. Only dayshift circa 8am and half course early evenings are possible now.

Would love to be corrected but that’s what I’ve been told. Dayshift courses are no good to me because of childcare.

switchlogic:
The Scottish enforce made up laws? :smiley: Are you sure you’re not confusing them with Italy.

I’m closer to the Scottish border than you are, so the inter-country legal disparities are a more common topic of discussion around here, but if you intend to travel out of your area, you’ll need to be well briefed on how Scotland’s legal system differs significantly from England’s.

For example: no offers of awareness courses for speeding offences; tougher standards regarding drink driving (22mcg per 100ml of breath, compared to 35mcg in England), and not forgetting the 40mph limit for HGVs on single carriageways (apart from some sections of the A9).

That’s not an exhaustive list, there are others, including the general reporting that interactions with scottish DVSA officers are a far harsher experience than when in England. As a general rule of thumb, scottish Police and DVSA take a zero-tolerance approach, especially with the English (something to do with historical disagreements perhaps? :laughing: ). I understand in your neck of the woods the Heddlu De Cymru are similarly inclined to low-tolerance with an anti-English bias?

With DVSA you need to be aware that their bosses rely a lot on an individual officer’s interpretation and they allow a large amount of leeway, so it is not about “made up laws” and everything to do with accepted practice of interpretation, and how that may vary from area to area.

Even within England, there are certain police forces, (Northumbria and Cleveland for me) who “selectively interpret” laws to suit their own purposes. I’m familiar with these area-specific malpractices and advise drivers accordingly.

For your own benefit, and to be an authoritative source of information in the classroom, you’ll need to become a legal nerd, checking and double-checking every debate which comes your way, revisiting everything you currently believe to be true and being able to back it up with a reference, knowing the malpractice that drivers may encounter in different areas, because for some drivers, DCPC is a straightforward excuse for trainer-baiting to alleviate the anticipated snooze-fest.

Even with ADR courses, I still see the occasional (thankfully very rare) ill-conceived challenge from a know-it-all, but rebuttal is easier with ADR, I simply offer them the big orange books and ask them to show me where that is written, which usually ends the debate quite quickly.

GOG47:
Wtf you on about? Scotland doesn’t have its own tacho laws

Re-read my original post and show me where I said anything about tacho laws?

Dafproblems:
I was told you can’t get a dcpc course on nightshift anymore because jaupt auditors don’t work those hours anymore. Only dayshift circa 8am and half course early evenings are possible now.

Would love to be corrected but that’s what I’ve been told. Dayshift courses are no good to me because of childcare.

For the record, and from my own previous experience, 6 am starts can be (or at least historically have been) approved by JAUPT.

I have no definitive input on night shift courses, but I can say that the trainer can be “criticized” by the JAUPT EV if attendees are seen to be yawning (no, that is not a joke). They don’t call it criticism of course, it’s “feedback” but what they call it makes no difference to the trainer, it’ll go into the report all the same.

Zac_A:

GOG47:

You clearly stated that you can’t have a tacho break in the driver’s seat in Scotland.

stu675:

Zac_A:

GOG47:

You clearly stated that you can’t have a tacho break in the driver’s seat in Scotland.

:unamused: No I did not, here is what I actually said:
"While that one [ie having a break in the drivers seat] isn’t any kind of law it is sound advice for when you’re north of the Scottish border where zero tolerance rules. "

DVSA officers, as I’ve already said, but you have not read that properly either, get a lot of leeway from their bosses when it comes to interpretation. This particular issue is (here in the north) a well-known “selective interpretation” which occurs with regularity.

Rest assured Luke, I won’t be enrolling on any of your courses. :wink: :laughing:

Good of you to hijack a thread again Zac :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :unamused:

Zac_A:

switchlogic:
The Scottish enforce made up laws? :smiley: Are you sure you’re not confusing them with Italy.

I’m closer to the Scottish border than you are, so the inter-country legal disparities are a more common topic of discussion around here, but if you intend to travel out of your area, you’ll need to be well briefed on how Scotland’s legal system differs significantly from England’s.

For example: no offers of awareness courses for speeding offences; tougher standards regarding drink driving (22mcg per 100ml of breath, compared to 35mcg in England), and not forgetting the 40mph limit for HGVs on single carriageways (apart from some sections of the A9).

That’s not an exhaustive list, there are others, including the general reporting that interactions with scottish DVSA officers are a far harsher experience than when in England. As a general rule of thumb, scottish Police and DVSA take a zero-tolerance approach, especially with the English (something to do with historical disagreements perhaps? :laughing: ). I understand in your neck of the woods the Heddlu De Cymru are similarly inclined to low-tolerance with an anti-English bias?

With DVSA you need to be aware that their bosses rely a lot on an individual officer’s interpretation and they allow a large amount of leeway, so it is not about “made up laws” and everything to do with accepted practice of interpretation, and how that may vary from area to area.

Even within England, there are certain police forces, (Northumbria and Cleveland for me) who “selectively interpret” laws to suit their own purposes. I’m familiar with these area-specific malpractices and advise drivers accordingly.

For your own benefit, and to be an authoritative source of information in the classroom, you’ll need to become a legal nerd, checking and double-checking every debate which comes your way, revisiting everything you currently believe to be true and being able to back it up with a reference, knowing the malpractice that drivers may encounter in different areas, because for some drivers, DCPC is a straightforward excuse for trainer-baiting to alleviate the anticipated snooze-fest.

Even with ADR courses, I still see the occasional (thankfully very rare) ill-conceived challenge from a know-it-all, but rebuttal is easier with ADR, I simply offer them the big orange books and ask them to show me where that is written, which usually ends the debate quite quickly.

You strike me as someone who could make making a cup of tea complicated beyond belief :smiley:

switchlogic:
Good of you to hijack a thread again Zac :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :unamused:

You strike me as someone who could make making a cup of tea complicated beyond belief :smiley:

Point taken: You know it all already, and you’re not interested in input, given in a genuinely helpful spirit, from someone who used to do DCPC on a regular basis, week in, week out, ad nauseum. I shall in future resist my natural inclinations to be of assistance.

Though I find your approach very strange, every time I’ve embarked on a new avenue of development (TM, ADR, DGSA etc etc) I’ve been very keen to get pointers from experienced people, at least one of whom is also on TN and whose friendship and advice I value very highly.

‘Assistance’? Is that what you call it? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Zac_A:
Though I find your approach very strange, every time I’ve embarked on a new avenue of development (TM, ADR, DGSA etc etc) I’ve been very keen to get pointers from experienced people, at least one of whom is also on TN and whose friendship and advice I value very highly.

Believe it or not there is actually a world beyond Trucknet. It may surprise you to hear that a career as long and round the houses as mine not to mention an online career picking up tens of thousands of followers and millions of YouTube views has left me a fairly extensive contact list. One that I can and regularly do call upon for help, from TMs, to company owners, to DGSAs, to driver trainers (ADR/CPC/Practical), to owners of training companies, to people quite high up at manufacturers, to truck dealers, to journalists, to writers (one of which technically I am) to magazine editors etc etc. Like you one is even on Trucknet. :smiley: Sounds like a boast but isn’t really because I’m probably as baffled as you as to why so many seem to take me seriously since I’m obviously a bit of a t wat.

If I have an advisory vacancy I’ll pop you a PM :wink:

switchlogic:

Zac_A:

Believe it or not there is actually a world beyond Trucknet. It may surprise you to hear that a career as long and round the houses as mine not to mention an online career picking up tens of thousands of followers and millions of YouTube views has left me a fairly extensive contact list. One that I can and regularly do call upon for help, from TMs, to company owners, to DGSAs, to driver trainers (ADR/CPC/Practical), to owners of training companies, to people quite high up at manufacturers, to truck dealers, to journalists, to writers (one of which technically I am) to magazine editors etc etc. Like you one is even on Trucknet. :smiley: Sounds like a boast but isn’t really because I’m probably as baffled as you as to why so many seem to take me seriously since I’m obviously a bit of a t wat.

With all the millions of followers you have and you look to be struggling to fill your next course you come to trucknet after (ie saying your bowing out and not interested in the advice that was given to you)
People fall asleep on a day course you would want to be some entertainer to keep people interested on a zoom course in the middle of the night
Doing a course once a week won’t pay the bills you seem to want to walk before you can crawl
If you are qualified as you say why the big gaps in courses
You will suffer filling slots f your self employed and dependent on trucknet and your millions of followers to pay your bills
Best advice is work for a company that provides the course as self employed
Best advice your ever going to get

Zac_A:

stu675:

Zac_A:

GOG47:

"While that one [ie having a break in the drivers seat] isn’t any kind of law it is sound advice for when you’re north of the Scottish border where zero tolerance rules. "

DVSA officers, as I’ve already said, but you have not read that properly either, get a lot of leeway from their bosses when it comes to interpretation. This particular issue is (here in the north) a well-known “selective interpretation” which occurs with regularity.

I’ve driven for well over 30yrs all over the U.K. and Europe AND I’ve lived in Scotland all my life and I have never heard of DVSA making up their own interpretation of tacho laws to huckle somebody having a break in the drivers seat
Sounds like you’ve been listening to (and believing) too many know it alls at the front of your classes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac_A:

stu675:

Zac_A:

GOG47:

I used to drive up to Alba quite a bit, and never got stopped. Which, by the sound of it, is a pity. I would have loved a Scottish womble giving me the " ye canea haf a breek in da drivers seeeet"… let’s take that to court then, shall we?

Bigtruck3:

switchlogic:

Zac_A:

With all the millions of followers you have and you look to be struggling to fill your next course you come to trucknet after (ie saying your bowing out and not interested in the advice that was given to you)
People fall asleep on a day course you would want to be some entertainer to keep people interested on a zoom course in the middle of the night
Doing a course once a week won’t pay the bills you seem to want to walk before you can crawl
If you are qualified as you say why the big gaps in courses
You will suffer filling slots f your self employed and dependent on trucknet and your millions of followers to pay your bills
Best advice is work for a company that provides the course as self employed
Best advice your ever going to get

Whatever you say chap. Have a nice evening