Driver cpc question

Can anyone give me an answer regarding cpc usage, I’m a mechanic ful time driving trucks to and from test which I’ve not needed cpc for, I own an old erf which I drive on private hgv meaning I also don’t need it. My question is if I hire an artic unit and low loader that’s taxed for business use, to travel to fetch a vehicle for myself or take my vehicle to a show would I need cpc due to driving a commercially taxed vehicle or am I exempt because of what I’m doing with it?

If your not driving for hire or reward, you are ok without DCPC

Vehicle uses where you don’t need Driver CPC

You don’t need Driver CPC if the vehicle you drive is:
used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
used to carry material or equipment you use for your job - but driving the vehicle can’t be the main part of your job
used for driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
used by, or is under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order
used in states of emergency or for rescue missions
driven to or from pre-booked appointments at official testing centres
driven within 50km of your base, is not carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach is not your main job

You can read detailed examples of Driver CPC exemptions.

so the answer is NO as you fall into the first exemption :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You will come under full EU Tacho regs if truck used for private use is over 7.5 tonnes GVW unless an exemption applies but no DCPC for any private use

Thanks for that, as I say I understand my usage is dcpc exempt, I was just concerned that if I was driving a vehicle taxed at full hgv rate would they believe me, or would it be irrelevant if it was taxed hgv or private hgv aslong as my use was genuinely for myself.

Gaz0203:
Thanks for that, as I say I understand my usage is dcpc exempt, I was just concerned that if I was driving a vehicle taxed at full hgv rate would they believe me, or would it be irrelevant if it was taxed hgv or private hgv aslong as my use was genuinely for myself.

The tax is not an issue re dcpc

Company could have a lorry and allow you to use that for moving house etc during your time off if the insurers allow it

Moving house would then be private use of the lorry