Driver cpc not required?

Ok a mate passed his class 2 yesterday , he works for the local scaffholding company , they put him through it so he can drive their wagon which is a 7.5t … he asked the instructor about the dcpc & does he get any hours towards it , he was told that as he’s not involved in the carriage of goods he doesn’t require a cpc , is this right ? I thought if you had hgv entitlement on licence then you have to have cpc to continue driving hgv or that entitlement is obsolete with out it …any ideas guys ?

Not 100% sure about answer so won’t give you one but surely the cpc might be to his advantage as he might want to change jobs to lets say a transport company.

bald bloke:
Not 100% sure about answer so won’t give you one but surely the cpc might be to his advantage as he might want to change jobs to lets say a transport company.

He’s keen to do it , but the company paid for his class 2 but he doesn’t think they will pay for his cpc if he doesn’t need it , if he does they will have to …

As long as the truck he is driving is only used for transporting the company’s own gear (the scaffolding), then he doesn’t need the CPC. If he carries even one item that is being delivered to or on behalf of another company ‘for hire or reward’ then he needs the CPC. Of course it would be to his advantage to have it, purely in case he does want to change jobs but his scaffolding gaffer can employ him in that role without it.

Hire or reward the company hires out scaffolding and he gets reward as in pay so yes he will need it.

If the driver is also a scaffolder who for most of the shift works on the scaffolding and only drives the truck to get the materials to and from the site then they will be dcpc exempt because the driving is then not the main occupation

If their job is driving/loading then they will need dcpc to be legal

If driver already had a LGV C1 either by passing the DSA LGV C1 test or by passing car test before 1997 then they have until 09/09/2014 to get the 35 hours of periodic dcpc completed

If driver did not have C1 prior to passing C test then they must pass LGV initial dcpc modules 2 and 4 before legally being allowed to drive that LGV commercially

He will just be driving to site ,setting up then driving back to yard or maybe another site to strip down , he passed car test in1999 so based on what you said rog he won’t require it for this job …

kemaro:
He will just be driving to site ,setting up then driving back to yard or maybe another site to strip down , he passed car test in1999 so based on what you said rog he won’t require it for this job …

What percentage of his shift will actually be driving? - roughly - have a guess

An hour , two at the most

kemaro:
An hour , two at the most

Exempt dcpc

From what you posted it seems to me that the driving does not constitute the main activity but is simply being done to get materials to and from their worksite once or twice a day

tallyman:
As long as the truck he is driving is only used for transporting the company’s own gear (the scaffolding), then he doesn’t need the CPC. If he carries even one item that is being delivered to or on behalf of another company ‘for hire or reward’ then he needs the CPC. Of course it would be to his advantage to have it, purely in case he does want to change jobs but his scaffolding gaffer can employ him in that role without it.

Driver CPC Question.... - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Is this statement true? Because if so this mean I don’t
Have do this as all I carry is stuff made by our factory. We only
Have 1 18 tonner. My boss don’t even needs to do a c.p.c
For the truck because we ony carry our goods the o licence is restricted

Big ■■■■:

tallyman:

Driver CPC Question.... - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Is this statement true? Because if so this mean I don’t
Have do this as all I carry is stuff made by our factory. We only
Have 1 18 tonner. My boss don’t even needs to do a c.p.c
For the truck because we ony carry our goods the o licence is restricted

Not true - delivering goods, even own goods, from one place to another is not an exemption for dcpc

The dcpc exemption is for drivers where the driving does not constitute the main activity such as a scaffolder who takes their own companys scaffolding to the site, works on the site using that scaffolding, then drives back to the yard perhaps twice a day

Rog Can you tell me if my boss will need to do a dcpc

His job title is company director with a class2 licence

If I was to fall sick say on a Monday morning 30 mins before I started work and I was sick for 1 week. This would mean him driving it that day while he sorts a agency driver for the rest of the week.
If I take holidays a agency driver covers.
So far this year he has driven the truck twice (2 days).

So D.C.P.C or not

He’ll need to have a DCPC if he is delivering goods.

The exception is if the load on the vehicle is for your work: tools, materials etc; and most of your work is using the tools and materials rather than driving the truck, so it applies to scaffolders, builders and tradesman etc. But even they would need the DCPC if they dropped part of their load at one site then set off to another site where they worked for the rest of the day.

It applies to everything over 3.5 tonnes gross, including 7.5 t driven on an old car licence.

Big ■■■■:
Rog Can you tell me if my boss will need to do a dcpc

His job title is company director with a class2 licence

If I was to fall sick say on a Monday morning 30 mins before I started work and I was sick for 1 week. This would mean him driving it that day while he sorts a agency driver for the rest of the week.
If I take holidays a agency driver covers.
So far this year he has driven the truck twice (2 days).

So D.C.P.C or not

Boss will need dcpc

Assuming boss had an LGV of any sort on 09/09/2009 then he will be ok until 09/29/2014 but after that he must carry a DQC with him when driving LGVs