Driver CPC - IRELAND - Periodic

Okay, before worrying, read the title again, especially the country in capitals :wink:

It has been drawn to my attention…

It seems that Minister Dempsey “gold-plated” EU directive 2003/59/EC [pdf] in drafting the European Communities (Vehicle Drivers Certificate Of Professional Competence) (No. 2) Regulations 2008 (SI 359 of 2008)[pdf] for Ireland.

The main point of deviation from the UK situation here is:

1. "CPC periodic retraining and time limits to obtain periodic CPC
13. A person who has completed a course of compulsory periodic retraining shall, during the next 5 years following the date of the completion of that course of retraining, undertake a further course of compulsory retraining of a duration of 35 hours which must be undertaken in 7 hour tranches per year for each year of the 5 year period."

2. "What if I hold both a bus and truck licence?
A driver who has both a bus and a truck licence will have both a bus and truck Driver CPC qualification but will will only have to do one extra training module to maintain both. All six training modules must be completed in each five year period to maintain both qualifications."

As I’m not planning on staying in the Republic long term…

a) Are any complete modules mutually recognised? (I guess not and I’ll be humped for more cash)
b) Would a completed CPC DQC be exchangeable or mutually recognised? (See above thought)
c) In the UK, are CPC course or modules funded out of the driver’s pocket tax deductible when on PAYE? (I know HMRC allow Digital Tachograph Cards, so I assume a similar situation will apply. The miserable bystanders at the Irish Revenue don’t allow tax deduction for Digital Tachograph Cards or CPC courses even though they are wholly, necessary and exclusively[/b] required for working :imp: )
d) Whilst I understand there is only a 35 hour requirement to cover both lorry and buses, is there any UK requirement to do an extra module?
e) Did any other EU member states manage to gold-plate their Driver CPC regs? (Intentionally or not?)
I await replies to this particular situation with interest.
Cheers.

macplaxton:
a) Are any complete modules mutually recognised? (I guess not and I’ll be humped for more cash)

NO - all the 35 hours must be done in one EU country.

macplaxton:
b) Would a completed CPC DQC be exchangeable or mutually recognised?

YES - the DQC is mutually recognised across the EU

macplaxton:
c) In the UK, are CPC course or modules funded out of the driver’s pocket tax deductible when on PAYE?

I could never get a straight answer to this from the tax office

macplaxton:
d) Whilst I understand there is only a 35 hour requirement to cover both lorry and buses, is there any UK requirement to do an extra module?

NO - just the 35 hours which covers both LGV & PCV

Cheers Rog. 14000 posts? Did you find some work or not? :smiley:

macplaxton:
Cheers Rog. 14000 posts? Did you find some work or not? :smiley:

Only voluntary - answering questions on the driver cpc :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: