Driver CPC in UK and elsewhere in EU

I couldn’t find any other info on the DCPC in UK besides 35 hours of periodic training, is there full dcpc training in UK and is it mandatory?
Here in Bulgaria I have to take 200/two hundred/ hours of dcpc to be eligible to drive HGV since I got my licence after 10.09.2009, as this is some EU directive. Is this dcpc training the same throughout EU or it depends of a country.

Here the periodic training is 47 hrs. for driver with cat. C/C+E issued before 10.09.2009.
200hrs. cpc for all drivers age 21 and over with licence C/C+E issued after 10.09.2009, 24 full business days of lecturing.
400hrs of cpc training for all cat C drivers under the age of 21, 2 months of lecturing.

So, how is cpc training in United Kingdom?

Leaving out the licence acquisition entirely then the DCPC for those who have never had any LGV on their licence is to pass initial modules 2 theory and 4 practical to gain the first 5 year DQC

For those who have or did have LGV on their licence then they have the choice of doing the 2 initial module tests or doing the 35 hours periodic attendance training to gain the first 5 year DQC

Both the above then need to do 35 hours periodic to extend for another 5 years from the date of the current DQC

Yes Dolph, those in the UK have it easy. Here in France the initial DCPC is 156 hrs of training followed by 35 hrs every 5 years which can only be done in the last year of validity, unlike in the UK where they can do one day a year over the 5 years.

I read the Bulgarian directive which stats minimum of 280hrs., 20hrs of which must be driving, they could be lowered to 140 hours, 10 of which driving for initial cpc training. This training does not include the training for cat.C, its separated, because of that dcpc could be gained before gaining cat.C licence.
Seems a bit easier and less time consuming in UK.

Héraultais:
Yes Dolph, those in the UK have it easy. Here in France the initial DCPC is 156 hrs of training followed by 35 hrs every 5 years which can only be done in the last year of validity, unlike in the UK where they can do one day a year over the 5 years.

Thanks, here is close to France case. I was surprised to read on DVSA website that they require 35 hrs of periodic training and not a word about initial training.
I had to take 200hrs. stupid cpc :imp:

Dolph:
could be lowered to 140 hours, 10 of which driving for initial cpc training.

Same here in France, but you are expected to do 1hr homework for 16 of the 20 days, hence the figure156

Dolph:
This training does not include the training for cat.C, its separated

Again same here, the DCPC training is in addition to gaining your licence.

Héraultais:

Dolph:

Same here in France, but you are expected to do 1hr homework for 16 of the 20 days, hence the figure156

Dolph:

This mean UK cpc is different then the rest of EU, am I right? Because ROG wrote if a driver has LGV on his/her licence they can do 2 initial cpc courses of 35hrs. periodic. If heaving LGV on licence means heaving category C licence then how come the cpc in UK e 35hrs. and the rest of EU is 150hrs+, can’t we all get the 35hrs rule if its working for Brits?

See here for a comparison of the different training regimes throughout the EU. This document predates the change in the UK whereby an existing licence holder can now opt to do modules 2 and 4 for the initial DCPC.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/professional_drivers/report_on_periodic_training_of_professional_drivers_en.pdf

Dolph:

Héraultais:

Dolph:

Dolph:

This mean UK cpc is different then the rest of EU, am I right? Because ROG wrote if a driver has LGV on his/her licence they can do 2 initial cpc courses of 35hrs. periodic. If heaving LGV on licence means heaving category C licence then how come the cpc in UK e 35hrs. and the rest of EU is 150hrs+, can’t we all get the 35hrs rule if its working for Brits?

There is an initial DCPC, but its normally done as part of your initial training and testing, and it doesn’t take much do to. We have a Spanish lad working for us as a mechanic, he also has an HGV licence which he did in Spain in 2010, but no DCPC. We looked into him doing it in the UK, it would cost approximately £300 and be a couple of days to do his initial DCPC. In Spain it would take far longer and I seem to remember cost far more.

I believe when the consultation was done for the DCPC across Europe, the choice was tests or so many hours training for the initial course.
These are extracts from the consultation document, released in Nov 2005.

Initial qualification
2.5 The Directive requires new drivers - those obtaining their full driving licence for passenger-carrying vehicles or goods vehicles from the relevant implementation date - to satisfy an Initial Qualification process in order to be awarded a CPC. Each Member State must choose between two Options for obtaining the Initial Qualification. Regardless of which Option is chosen, the same syllabus applies, and drivers must achieve the same standard. Option 1 obliges a Member State to impose a specified regulatory arrangement for the initial CPC training, which includes a minimum 280 training hours. The driver must pass a test at the end of this course.
Option 2 obliges a Member State to impose a more detailed test process in order to assure standards. In line with its views that the purpose of this Directive is to assure standards of professional drivers, and its wish to avoid imposing unnecessary restrictions and burdens, the Government proposes to adopt Option 2.

Periodic training
2.8. The Directive requires vocational drivers to undertake 35 hours of Periodic Training:
• within 5 years of obtaining a CPC following Initial Qualification, in order to retain a valid CPC
• within 5 years of the relevant implementation date (see paragraph 2.9 below) for vocational drivers exempted under “Acquired Rights” from the Initial Qualification provisions of the Directive, in order to obtain a CPC.
• within every subsequent 5 yearly CPC re-certification period, in order to retain a valid CPC.
The Government proposes to maximise the flexibility allowed in the Directive to implement the Periodic Training requirement in a way that maximises its potential benefit for drivers and operators

It seems the UK government went for the most basic options where as other countries seems to have gone for everything they could.

Héraultais:
See here for a comparison of the different training regimes throughout the EU. This document predates the change in the UK whereby an existing licence holder can now opt to do modules 2 and 4 for the initial DCPC.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/pdf/professional_drivers/report_on_periodic_training_of_professional_drivers_en.pdf

Thanks for the info, very helpful to understand the driver cpc in EU.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the government are working on the assumption that someone who prepares for theory, hazard, and especially cpc theory (and mod 4) is putting in tens of hours of preparation (maybe 100+ hours) so in comparison with other countries that look more demanding there might not be a lot of difference.

JS8576:
It wouldn’t surprise me if the government are working on the assumption that someone who prepares for theory, hazard, and especially cpc theory (and mod 4) is putting in tens of hours of preparation (maybe 100+ hours) so in comparison with other countries that look more demanding there might not be a lot of difference.

Can’t say for other EU countries, but it is far harder passing an HGV test in France than the UK.

Much more structured and better thought out in France. Although it looks like a bugger to do it you at least can be confident that you have been thoroughly prepared.

The UK government leave you to it. Study it all yourself in your own way. Some will spend 100+ hours reading and studying various material which you would have had to do by attending official courses.

I would prefer it your way (maybe not paying for it) as would be a lot more confident starting work.

France is well known for it’s bureaucracy (I don’t need to tell you that), lot of civil servants who have to justify their existence by making things as difficult as possible.

When you read the UK book on driving lgv’s the list of knowledge you are expected to have I doubt there are many professionals who can tick every single box let alone a newbie.

I have a theory - but may be completely wrong.

The UK is completely new to this sort of thing. Driver Training to pass the driving test is realistically all we ever had - and our driving test is of a much lower standard than many other EU countries. (In my opinion)

The likes of France have had an advanced training regime (compared to UK) far longer so it strikes me the UK are at the beginning of a very long road playing catch up with a gentle start and things will change in years to come.

Maybe I talk bolloxs

Héraultais:

JS8576:

Can’t say for other EU countries, but it is far harder passing an HGV test in France than the UK.

French HGV Training - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

In Bulgaria is harder to, despite what some Brits think about EE, especially after implementing EU rules.
This is a bit off topic but I feel responsible to share my experience as I passed my test recently. The following is the way it goes for cat. C

1. Psychological exam must be passed in order to enroll into driving lessons. The test consist of written exam - IQ test for time, questions like: Do you love your mom/wife/kids, all for time. The second part is on a small machine recording reaction time, it has buttons and pedals its connected to a laptop and cant be cheated, if you fail you fail and have to wait certain time in order to apply for new test.
    If you pass you get certificate which you must keep within you at all times driving because is required by traffic police. For people under 65 the certificate is valid for 3 years, for people over 65 is valid for 1 year.
  2. Driving practice - 20hrs. minimum of driving in a period of 2 to 4 weeks, can’t be done in 1 week.
  3. Written test - internal test in the driving school, only after passing you are allowed to take the exam at DVSA(IAAA).
  4. Written exam at IAAA, no talking allowed even with questions to the examiner, the test is of 30 questions, all the time the room is under surveillance sending live feedback to IAAA, so no cheating. The test is online via tablets, no pan, paper or anything else on the desk besides ID cards.
  5. Then you have to pass internal driving exam in the school, only after successful passing you are allow to take driving exam with IAAA.
  6. The practice exam at DVSA(IAAA)consist of 45min minimum driving(it has 15-20 maneuvers that must be performed), no talking allowed during driving and the whole exam is recorded on cam. Before starting you are asked about truck components and how they function. If the examiner has to intervene you fail, not stopping on stop sign - fail, not yield to pedestrians - fail etc.
    Also as far the instructor at the school told me in Bulgaria manual learners trucks are mandatory, no automatics.
    After successful completion you have to pass medical exam(eyes, neurologist, surgeon, psychologist) then you go to traffic police to have your licence replaced.
    May be Im forgetting something, but its pretty much this for cat.C.

Only a matter of time before some ■■■■ from scientologists comes out with e-meter to give you an audit before letting you have provisional licence… :smiley: