Driver cpc. How do you become a trainer?

Not looking for a new job but I’ve now done 3 driver cpc courses which have ranged from good to indifferent to a joke.
First one I done was the crossrail induction which was basically cyclists do no wrong and lorry drivers are big nasty bully’s. The second I paid for by a company called sigma studies near tilbury which was on tachos which was well presented and by a guy who had been a driver and could answer real life questions and got the course across in a way all the drivers there took it in and felt they was on a level with the trainer.
The third was a paid for by work one which was some spotty youth reading from a book who wouldn’t know one end of a lorry from another.
So the question is what criteria tdo you need to charge people for this cpc as the one at sigma I can see the benefit it was a help on tachos and WTD but the others were a joke.

I looked into this briefly at one point as I was considering setting myself up as one when I got rid of the wagon.

In basic terms to start being a trainer you need to be able to prove that you have knowledge of the subject and the ability to train. You are then also audited every so often by someone randomly turning up to one of your training sessions to make sure you’re doing it right.

Proof of the knowledge and training experience can each either come from a recognised qualification (although they don’t specify what is actually acceptable) or a letter from a previous employer stating you’ve been doing it for however long in the past (which is probably more relavant for the proof of ability to train I guess). I’m quite sure you could blag either of these without too much effort even if you had few relevant skills.

As far as the starting a training school part is concerned you firstly have to pay to register your school and then again for each course. I can’t remember exactly which is which but some of the fees are one-offs and the others you have to renew anually.

Paul

Can you talk utter ■■■■■■■■ day in day out in an authoritive and confident style.?If you can answer yes ,then you have the qualification and are in.

alamcculloch:
Can you talk utter ■■■■■■■■ day in day out in an authoritive and confident style.?If you can answer yes ,then you have the qualification and are in.

Thats two third of RDC driver room heroes qualified then !

There’s an old saying; them as can, do;them as can’t, teach.

Never more true than with DCPC trainers, not come across one yet who wasn’t a failed trunker.

I have, ex trucker turned trainer,very knowledgeable,good teaching skills and actually has a passion for the transport industry :exclamation:

quork:
I have, ex trucker turned trainer,very knowledgeable,good teaching skills and actually has a passion for the transport industry :exclamation:

Mine has run his own haulage firm, a standby paramedic(didnt know there was one), worked on a Tarmac firm, runs a few charities, what else am I forgetting ooh I think he may have worked for vosa because they do no wrong in his eyes basically if you mention you’ve done it then so has he.Were planning on making some random job bs up that we’ve done on our next course to see if he’s also done that which no doubt he will have. He’s a nice enough bloke though I suppose just wish he’d come clean and admit he’s never actually sat in a lorry :slight_smile:.

I certainly wouldn’t fancy it as a way of earning a living. It must feel like a never-ending episode of “Please Sir”; delivering the same spiel week in week out to a bored, reluctant and often more experienced audience whose only way of breaking the monotony is to try to catch you out.

The most ridiculous aspect of it is that there’s no incentive to learn. You’re not teaching to any form of test, merely delivering a rather patronising and tedious lecture which the recipients have no need to absorb since there is no form of examination at the end of it. It would also help if about half the course content did not seem to appear in every bloody module; after three it gets like “Groundhog Day”, you feel ■■■■ sure you’ve done this one before even if it can be proved otherwise.

Can you talk sh te? You’re in then!!! :wink:

I have never come across any complaints from those that have done periodic driver cpc training with a LGV training provider so if that is fact then perhaps those are the people to go to ?

From what I gather most dcpc training providers are doing 1 or 2 days a week on average so its not exactly a full time business or career for anyone thinking of going into it

ROG:
From what I gather most dcpc training providers are doing 1 or 2 days a week on average so its not exactly a full time business or career for anyone thinking of going into it

You only need to do 1 or 2 days a week if you can charge 20 people between 50 and 150quid each to come along!

Think about it, even at 50quid, 2 days at 20 people is 2000/week gross. Obviously you have to rent the premises and there are the course costs to come off that, but it’s still not a bad little earner.

Paul

repton:

ROG:

You only need to do 1 or 2 days a week if you can charge 20 people between 50 and 150quid each to come along!

Think about it, even at 50quid, 2 days at 20 people is 2000/week gross. Obviously you have to rent the premises and there are the course costs to come off that, but it’s still not a bad little earner.

Paul

Is the average for each basic classroom course such as drivers hours 20 drivers?