Driver cpc HELP

Hi hope someone can help me.
I currently have my DQC card as i trained to become a coach driver in 2011 and passed all modules.
I passed my car test in 1991 giving me Cat C. C1 7.5t
my card is valid until 2016 and since 2011 i have covered 3x 7 hours cpc training (as a coach driver)
i am currently driving a 7.5t for my work and the traffic manager has seen and taken a copy of my card.

I have registered on the dsa web site so that i can check how many hours training ive done and its says
that my card is valid till 2016 - coach and 9-9-14 lorry ?
am i covered to drive a 7.5t ?

thanks for any help you can give.

edit - didn’t read your post properly and I’m not sure of the correct answer!!
I’d have thought the grandfather rights for the 7.5t would be overridden by the CPC you did in 2011, but not sure

Have you taken the lgv hgv cpc course ?
If not then you are not entitled to drive,
Your cpc card with have the entitlements it covers and the expiry dates.
You need a cpc for driving anything over 3.5t commercially

I did all four parts to become a coach driver and all training since has been as a coach driver.
Im wondering if the cpc is different for LGV and Coach ?
and if so what would i need to add to my current cpc ?

R51:
I did all four parts to become a coach driver and all training since has been as a coach driver.
Im wondering if the cpc is different for LGV and Coach ?
and if so what would i need to add to my current cpc ?

The DCPC for buses and LGVs are entirely different things. Any training for one is totally irrelevant to the other. You have to start again from scratch, I’m afraid.

Theyy are different as they are different licences! You need to contact a training provider to arrange the training courses. Or upgrade your licence to cat C and you will aquire most if not all of the hours and you will save some money combining the two.

The initial DCPC is different for PCV vehicles and LGV vehicles, however the periodic training counts for both PCV and LGV.

Because of when you passed the car test you would have had acquired rights for the LGV DCPC but that ended on 9th September so you are no longer entitled to driver LGVs commercially.

The 3 periodic training courses you’ve done will count for both PCV and LGV vehicles, so you now have to do another 14 hours DCPC training before you can legally drive an HGV vehicle commercially.

To be honest your TM should really know this :frowning:

Oh dear.
how much can i expect to pay ? for 14 hours training.
thanks for the answer

PCV initial done in 2011 = PCV valid until 2016
LGV acquired rights until 09/09/2014 = not valid after that until 35 hours periodic dcpc completed

On completion of the 35 hours a new DQC will be issued with a DQC expiry date for both PCV & LGV in 2021 (not 2019 as you might think) because the 5 years gets added to the 2016 date in this case

14 more hours can be got for about £100 if you shop around even if that means doing a cheap 7 hour course twice

R51:
Oh dear.
thanks for the answer

To some extent that depends on your location and how far you’re prepared to travel but I think cheap courses tend to be around the £50 mark so around £100/£130 for two courses (14 hours).

Will your company pay for the courses ?

R51:
Oh dear.
thanks for the answer

As with most things it depends on where you are or how far you’re willing to travel for it. Mine cost £42 a session in the north east. What you will learn or gain from it is in no way reflected in the cost you will pay.

Im with an agency in leicester, Im surprised they didn’t pick up on it?
the thing is if i tell them they wont be able to offer me any work.
I think the best thing is to take two days off and get my 14 hours asap.

thanks for all the replies everyone,
great forum.

In my experience agencies don’t have a clue or just don’t care, as long as you have a card then, according to them, you’re good to go. That won’t be the case with the good people from dvsa I suspect.

R51:
‘… Hi hope someone can help me … thanks for any help you can give…’

Try your MP for free online at:

writetothem.com

If they are Liberal, Labour, Green or Conservative then their party fully endorses everything the EU pukes over us :open_mouth:

Why not share your grass-root grief of being confused with your elected puppet who, by their roaring silence, successfully helped dump it on you :wink:

R51:
Im with an agency in leicester, Im surprised they didn’t pick up on it?
the thing is if i tell them they wont be able to offer me any work.
I think the best thing is to take two days off and get my 14 hours asap.

Me in Leicester too … give DATA academy a call dataacademy.co.uk/driver-cpc courses will cost about £130 for 14 hours

Google - driver cpc Leicester - for more options

Thanks chaps

It looks like it will cost you about £114 at Coates (HGV Services) Ltd

Search around the area and you might even find it cheaper :wink: