Driver CPC - Grandfather Rights

I passed my car test in '85 so have C1 and C1+E already on my licence. I also now have provisional C and D.

I believe this means I have grandfather rights for Driver CPC and only have to do the 35 hours periodic training (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Assuming I do, then, hypothetically, if I passed my theory, hazard perception and practical tests for C and C+E today, could I start driving for a living tomorrow? Or will I need to complete my first set of 35 hours periodic CPC before I can drive commercially?

Grovesy:
I passed my car test in '85 so have C1 and C1+E already on my licence. I also now have provisional C and D.

I believe this means I have grandfather rights for Driver CPC and only have to do the 35 hours periodic training (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Assuming I do, then, hypothetically, if I passed my theory, hazard perception and practical tests for C and C+E today, could I start driving for a living tomorrow? Or will I need to complete my first set of 35 hours periodic CPC before I can drive commercially?

35 hours must be completed before you can drive commercially but some LGV trainers have their C and CE course approved for dcpc so you could potentially get all 35 by doing those

For a school that has the courses approved - you have to ask each school …
For a standard 5 day course with test on day 5
1 to 1 half days = 14 dcpc (3.5 x 4 = 14)
2 to 1 full days = 28 dcpc (7 x 4 = 28) as still learning whilst in passenger seat and the other trainee is driving
test time cannot count for dcpc

Make sure you read ALL the stickies near the top of this forum before paying any money

I took this route and got 28 of my 35 hours of CPC via the C and CE tests. My final 7 hours was spent doing a driving hours course.

I have to say, though, that coming from outside the haulage industry I don’t feel adequately prepared for a competent life on the road - even though I have a certificate of professional competence. Load security is a particular concern to me as I know next to nothing about straps, chains, curtains and so on.

Thankfully I have been lucky to find work with refrigerators and simple box trailers where load security is largely unnecessary. However, I would recommend that you don’t skimp on CPC training if you can afford the time and money to do it, especially if you don’t come from a haulage background.

Cheers guys. That clears that up then. I’ll be doing the full 35 hour CPC course separate to my driving. I’m like you, ORC, and feel I have a bit to learn about correct loading and strapping etc.

I want to do things right and be classed as a professional driver, not just wing it and not give a toss (not saying you do).

Grovesy:
Cheers guys. That clears that up then. I’ll be doing the full 35 hour CPC course separate to my driving. I’m like you, ORC, and feel I have a bit to learn about correct loading and strapping etc.

I want to do things right and be classed as a professional driver, not just wing it and not give a toss (not saying you do).

I do not know of one dcpc periodic course which physically does the safe loading - all theory - so if that’s what your after then…

You could get 35 by doing the dcpc approved C and CE courses then do another 35 for other things

You would end up with a DQC expiry dated in 10 years time

I do not know of one dcpc periodic course which physically does the safe loading

When I teach the safe loading content of the course, I use the Mod 4 trolley. That’s always entertaining and suddenly the blokes who have been there and dunnit go quiet!

Someone I’d taught Mod4 was on that course a few weeks later and demonstrated to an “experienced” driver how to assemble a ratchet strap.

No doubt, the experienced driver considers the driver cpc to be a total waste of time of course!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Grovesy:

35 hours must be completed before you can drive commercially but some LGV trainers have their C and CE course approved for dcpc so you could potentially get all 35 by doing those

For a school that has the courses approved - you have to ask each school …
For a standard 5 day course with test on day 5
1 to 1 half days = 14 dcpc (3.5 x 4 = 14)
2 to 1 full days = 28 dcpc (7 x 4 = 28) as still learning whilst in passenger seat and the other trainee is driving
test time cannot count for dcpc

Make sure you read ALL the stickies near the top of this forum before paying any money

Does anybody know of any LGV trainers in the South East that have their Cat C training approved for DCPC? The couple I have asked didn’t even know that it was possible!

Thx

Try EP LGV training

Hi Grovesy,

You now have the choice. You can do 35hrs CPC training OR you can do modules 2 and 4. This is a recent change in policy for us old ■■■■ geandfather rights holders. You have to get in touch with Pearson Vue and they run an eligibility check (the online system isn’t running yet), then you can book by phone. Here is a copy of the email they sent me.

Dear Richard Nicolson

Thank you for your response, I can now release the results of your entitlements check.

The results have been returned to us stating that you are actually entitled to sit the LGV CPC test. And when you are available we would be able to book you in for this test.

However due to the issue with the entitlement appearing on our system you will need to contact our customer cares line on 0300 200 11 22. This is due to the fact an over-ride will need to be used and this can only be done by a phone agent.

Another thing you should be mindful of entitlements checks are only valid for a 10 working day period. After this the entitlement will need to be re-sent.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

​Morgan Owen

Candidate Support Services
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Centre

Pearson VUE
The Lighthouse
14 The Quays
Salford Quays, M50 3BF
United Kingdom

E: pearsonvueukcandidatesupport@pearson.com
T: 0300 200 1122