Driver CPC - are there any worthwhile courses

Happy 2019 to all. Already another DCPC date is looming for most of us.

Personally I found the whole thing really boring and pointless. I’m no expert but even I could pull up some of these so called trainers and now wondering whether I can face actually doing it again, do we even need to, has anyone been checked? Many of the websites in shropshire seem still to be un updated from 2014 so I’m guessing the ‘non’-courses are still the same.

So any courses out there that are actually worth doing?

Jon

ADR gets us 28 hours. It might not be relevant to you now, but it might open some doors for you later.

If you can afford it, do something practical like an adr, hi-ab or moffett course. Expensive, but at least you get a practical qualification rather than a piece of meaningless plastic

Luckily I’ve done all 5 and already received the new card. The only course I found useful and actually learned something was the first aid course. We got a certificate at the end too and learned something that could save someone’s life one day. Definitely worth doing IMO.

jongood:
Happy 2019 to all. Already another DCPC date is looming for most of us.

Personally I found the whole thing really boring and pointless. I’m no expert but even I could pull up some of these so called trainers and now wondering whether I can face actually doing it again, do we even need to, has anyone been checked? Many of the websites in shropshire seem still to be un updated from 2014 so I’m guessing the ‘non’-courses are still

So any courses out there that are actually worth doing?

Jon

I’m really dreading going through it all again.
I kind of crammed all five the last time.
The only one half worth doing was the last one, first aid.
And, honestly it could have been a lot better.
There is one that I would think is worthwhile, it’s called something like first responder.
It’s based on the premise that we are of tens first on the scene of an accident and could save lives.
My problem with it is it’s in the week.
As an owner driver, having a day off the road is a step too far.
Out of the five so called courses I did four were indistinguishable from the others.
Happy New year.

I did the EMPIC course at Rugby cement in the summer. It gives you the EMPIC card to go into quarries and similar places but also gives you a cpc module

Before signing up for any of those useful courses make ABSOLUTELY sure that the provider is JAUPT registered. If the registration isn’t in place then it wont count toward your DCPC . Also time spent sitting an exam doesn’t count as training. The system has us by the short and curlies.

Gritted my teeth and Did it all in a 7 week period before Christmas

EU Drivers Hours seems to be sorely needed by quite a lot of posters on this forum so I’d suggest doing that even if you think you know it all.

I did a first aid module which was very worthwhile and which I’d repeat again however the training school I used had an ex-paramedic ambulance driver taking it so it might have been better for that.

Ultimately though if your attitude stinks and you have the whole attitude its pointless and boring and that you know it all despite the fact it seems quite a lot don’t even know the basics of things like drivers hours and load securing then to be honest it doesn’t matter what you choose to do as you’ll pay absolutely no attention to what is going on anyway so won’t benefit from it even if you needed it. If that is you then you may as well just randomly pick 5 things.

And if you’re “that person” who thinks the whole thing is a waste of time and wants to let everyone know I have just one thing to ask. Can you keep your gob shut and stop butting in with pointless comments and constantly trying to prove you know what you’re on about even though you don’t? Some of us who have to pay for our own would like to get some value for our money, not listen to some knuckle dragging chimpanzee rattling on who seems hell bent on proving how much they actually don’t know to the rest of those present?

Also if you’re forced to pay for your own cpc pick the cheapest, as your not being paid for the day either.

Sometimes the cheapest isn’t always the most convenient option

I had to do a speed awareness course recently. A lot seem to be getting caught these days. I came from the course and I thought I had learnt quite a lot from it I said that in our companies canteen and this other employee said that when he went on it, he had learnt absolutely nothing and what a waste of time. I actually felt quite inadequate.

More recently, we had a guy from head office come and give us a course on drivers’ hours and tachograph rules. I thought I was by now fairly good in my understanding but nothing special but my knowledge was much better than that of the other guys present. In fact, I would say that some of them were pretty clue-less including possibly especially the one who had made me feel inadequate at an earlier time. He now often asks me about things. Funny old world. But I still took a few things away from that lesson we had on drivers’ hours etc.

I guess the message is, to keep an open mind and it’s very unlikely you’ll come away from these courses without having learnt a thing unless of course you’re the type who isn’t open to learning. But nobody except for yourself can help you with that one.

ROADRANGER:
I’m really dreading going through it all again.
I kind of crammed all five the last time.
The only one half worth doing was the last one, first aid.
And, honestly it could have been a lot better.
There is one that I would think is worthwhile, it’s called something like first responder.
It’s based on the premise that we are of tens first on the scene of an accident and could save lives.
My problem with it is it’s in the week.
As an owner driver, having a day off the road is a step too far.
Out of the five so called courses I did four were indistinguishable from the others.
Happy New year.

There are some places that do them on weekends, I’m doing the next 2 on Sundays as they’ve been organised by somebody I know who runs a haulage company, I’ve also spread them out, 1 or 2 a year, I’m lucky though as the companies I’ve worked for have paid for all of them and I’ve done them in work time, the 2 Sundays ones I’ll get a day off later.

However I’ve not been overly impressed by the courses I’ve been on or to be more exact the quality of the instructors, I’ve done 8 courses with 3 different training establishments and 6 different instructors, 1 was excellent, 2 were good, 1 was average and the last 2 have been really bad.

Conor:
Ultimately though if your attitude stinks and you have the whole attitude its pointless and boring and that you know it all

I imagine you are speaking from experience.

Maybe you should be looking for a JAUPT registered charm school or see if Dignitas run a DCPC course?

muckles:
see if Dignitas run a DCPC course?

That would be dead good :wink: :laughing: … as long as you could sit there without disturbing all the others by ‘coffin’ … gets taxi******* :smiley:

muckles:

Conor:
Ultimately though if your attitude stinks and you have the whole attitude its pointless and boring and that you know it all

I imagine you are speaking from experience.

Maybe you should be looking for a JAUPT registered charm school or see if Dignitas run a DCPC course?

Too funny.

Conor has a point, there is nowt worse than some prick mouthing off and ruining an early get away.

peirre:

True no point traveling a 100 miles to save a fiver. I should of said cheapest option that suits you.

Conor:
EU Drivers Hours seems to be sorely needed by quite a lot of posters on this forum so I’d suggest doing that even if you think you know it all.

I did a first aid module which was very worthwhile and which I’d repeat again however the training school I used had an ex-paramedic ambulance driver taking it so it might have been better for that.

Ultimately though if your attitude stinks and you have the whole attitude its pointless and boring and that you know it all despite the fact it seems quite a lot don’t even know the basics of things like drivers hours and load securing then to be honest it doesn’t matter what you choose to do as you’ll pay absolutely no attention to what is going on anyway so won’t benefit from it even if you needed it. If that is you then you may as well just randomly pick 5 things.

And if you’re “that person” who thinks the whole thing is a waste of time and wants to let everyone know I have just one thing to ask. Can you keep your gob shut and stop butting in with pointless comments and constantly trying to prove you know what you’re on about even though you don’t? Some of us who have to pay for our own would like to get some value for our money, not listen to some knuckle dragging chimpanzee rattling on who seems hell bent on proving how much they actually don’t know to the rest of those present?

I’m defo not a big head about it, there are lots of guys with more experience with me but looking back on it I still didnt learn one useful thing ( in fact some of what I was told turned out to be worng*). I was quite keen on the first aid course because you never know but even that was terrible ( I don’t think that guy had any experience - at all). It costs me a day plus the fees every time it would be nice to gain something from one of them. Its mostly Fridges, tippers or general round here, you can’t get anything you can get more money for.

• One of the things I was told on a course that I’m pretty certain is wrong was “the first 15 minutes of POA counts as break” I didnt think this was right and have asked a couple of proper CPC holders and they don’t think its right either and why would you want that anyway?

Odd days:

peirre:

True no point traveling a 100 miles to save a fiver. I should of said cheapest option that suits you.

As I Live near the Stockyard I used a couple of local providers (5-10 miles away) & paying £80 per module, there is an Immingham based company who run courses at £35 per module in a “rent an office” place Barnsley that I could have used. The former provides tea/coffee, lunch and inc the upload, the latter only inc tea/coffee and upload.

I noticed today on a billboard close to the nearby green group yard, a new mob advertising dcpc for £69.99