Driver CPC - Aquired Rights

chris hunter:
Just a quickie.

Can anyone shed any light on the Driver CPC for me. I have been out of haulage for nearly four or five years, hold a Class One HGV since 1991 and used to operate my own company on a transport managers National CPC.

I have read somewhere that if you have held your license before 1997 you are automatically awared the Driver CPC. Is this correct? If correct, how or where do I apply for it?

Regards
Chris

No Chris you will have to do the 35 hours training to drive commercially before September 2014, the good news is that your National Operators CPC is still valid to operate your own trucks. That never runs out! :confused:

all new provisional licence now have to do the cpc before gaining a full lgv licence as you have a full licence you automatically have aquired rights to continue to drive. You do however have to complete 35 hours classroom training in 7 hour sessions BEFORE september 2014. Then you will recive your DCPC card. you will then have another 5 years (until september 2019) to do it all again. Oh the joys :laughing:

chris hunter:
It all seems daft to me. More red tape bullsugar or Gov’Mint stealth tax by the looks of it. Surely my own National CPC is more in depth in terms of business and professional accumen than a drivers CPC. Does this new drivers CPC cover profit and loss, legal legislation, axle weights and down tolerances etc?

it will all depend on who you do the course with as you say earlier you havnt drove since 2004? the drivers hours rules changed in 2007 and the working time directive came in 2005. i did however get an operators licence compliance refresher as 7 hours towards the drivers cpc. dont think there is a course for profit and loss. you may get an upgrade to international cpc to count if the training provider has the course approved by japut to also qualify towards the drivers cpc killing two birds with one stone. as for your own national cpc if you keep on top of all the changes then thats fine but there are a lot of transport managers out there that shouldnt ply there trade so to speak!

chris hunter:
Surely my own National CPC is more in depth in terms of business and professional accumen than a drivers CPC. Does this new drivers CPC cover profit and loss

These are issues which would be of no concern to an employed driver though. Not that I’m trying to defend the dcpc of course :slight_smile:

mrpj:

chris hunter:
Surely my own National CPC is more in depth in terms of business and professional accumen than a drivers CPC. Does this new drivers CPC cover profit and loss

These are issues which would be of no concern to an employed driver though. Not that I’m trying to defend the dcpc of course :slight_smile:

I can understand the need for drivers to keep up with changing regulation (ie) drivers hours etc. But I can see no other reason that a driver already qualified by years of experience alone, would need to sit a vocational qualification just to keep his license. Bureacratic bullsugar IMHO. It stinks of stealth tax !

Chris

I am lead to believe it is a travesty.

I trust this clarifies matters.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve just completed my 5th module, the guy presenting the course told us so many aren’t doing anything about it yet & they believe there’s going to be a mad rush as 2014 gets closer. He made no mention of anyone holding their own operators CPC & running lorries being exempt from the DCPC.

I’ve held my CPC & run lorries since 1986 & as far as profit & loss is concerned, we used to experience the former & we’re now sometimes looking closer to the latter but it seems we still need the DCPC if I want my HGV renewed when the time comes.

BB

Basilbrush:
I’ve held my CPC & run lorries since 1986 & as far as profit & loss is concerned, we used to experience the former & we’re now sometimes looking closer to the latter but it seems we still need the DCPC if I want my HGV renewed when the time comes.

Not having a DCPC will not prevent you renewing your LGV entitlement when it is due. You don’t lose the entitlement, you just won’t be able to use it commercially

Coffeeholic:

Basilbrush:

Not having a DCPC will not prevent you renewing your LGV entitlement when it is due. You don’t lose the entitlement, you just won’t be able to use it commercially

Surely it’s the same thing then isn’t it Coffeholic, my HGV won’t mean a thing to me if I’m not using it to earn a crust. I guess I should have worded my input differently or better still, kept my opinion to myself.

BB

Basilbrush:

Coffeeholic:

Basilbrush:

Surely it’s the same thing then isn’t it Coffeholic, my HGV won’t mean a thing to me if I’m not using it to earn a crust. I guess I should have worded my input differently or better still, kept my opinion to myself.

BB

Many people are under the impression that no DCPC means you lose the entitlement when in fact you don’t and I was just pointing that out. There are plenty of people who have an LGV but don’t use it commercially, While it may not mean anything to you if you are not using it to earn a living your licence will still show you as having the C and C+E. You could at any time do the DCPC and then start using it commercially again without having to regain the entitlement.

Basilbrush:
I guess I should have worded my input differently or better still, kept my opinion to myself.

Having a bad day? :wink:

No, not having a bad day Coffeeholic, don’t take what I said the wrong way. I don’t want to be answering questions with the wrong answer, I honestly thought you wouldn’t get the HGV renewed without the 35 hours training.

BB

Basilbrush:
No, not having a bad day Coffeeholic, don’t take what I said the wrong way. I don’t want to be answering questions with the wrong answer, I honestly thought you wouldn’t get the HGV renewed without the 35 hours training.

BB

You’re not alone in thinking that, which is why I mentioned it.

Coffeeholic:

Basilbrush:

BB

You’re not alone in thinking that, which is why I mentioned it.

There are a number of Driver CPC exemptions associated with the Directive. These are listed below:

Vehicles with a maximum speed not exceeding 45 Kph

Vehicles used by or under control of the armed forces, civil defence the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order

Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service

Vehicles used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions

Vehicles used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or Driver CPC

Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passenger or goods — for personal use

Vehicles used for carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, providing that driving the vehicle is not the drivers’ principle activity