Driver cpc aquired rights query

Hi everyone another newby here, I am looking into the different parts I have to pass to get my cat c one of which is the cpc, I passed my car test in 1991 so have C1, C1E etc already on my license, now on Gov websites it says about grandfather/acquired rights but I take it this is only for people who are already professional drivers and have been for a while, and not me?
So I presume I just have to just do the cpc intial/practical test and I’m covered for next 5 years?
Thanks.

Hi. You are classed as a professional driver - whether or not you’ve driven at all!. That’s the good news. The bad news is that your acquired rights expire 9th September this year. Most employers wont want to touch you without having done at least most of the cpc. It’s possible to get some of your C training credited to driver cpc and the same again with the CE upgrade if that’s in your plan. Check with your training provider as this is not possible with all trainers.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to book Mods 2 and 4.

You can complete your 35 hours periodic training before the practical training if you’re not going to get it credited.

Hope that makes sense - fire away with any questions, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete, yes that makes sense now, I thought it might but wasn’t quite sure with the professional driver wording, am looking to just do c training fairly shortly, was just going to get theory and hazard out the way first.
Am in Kent so will maybe use either Kent metro or Gordon Springate, will have to find out if either will use hours off of the 35 hours and then sort out something useful for the rest of the hours.
Thanks for the quick reply. Ed.

Best plan for you …
Find a LGV school that has periodic DCPC approved for their practical LGV courses

Try and get 2 to 1 training because that will get you 7 hours dcpc per day so over a basic 5 day course that will be 28 hours out of the 35 done - test day cannot count
The course will cost a little more with dcpc but worth it

That leaves just 7 hours which perhaps a drivers hours and tacho 1 day course will be a good idea - that can be done now as you have LGV C1

PS - check out the link in my signature below

Hi Rog, I like the idea regarding the 2 to 1 training, I didn’t think of that! One of the places I mentioned says that it is driver cpc approved/jaupt approved with a centre number, is that what you mean when you say check that it has periodic dcpc approval?
Thanks for reply also. Ed.

freddie121:
Hi Rog, I like the idea regarding the 2 to 1 training, I didn’t think of that! One of the places I mentioned says that it is driver cpc approved/jaupt approved with a centre number, is that what you mean when you say check that it has periodic dcpc approval?
Thanks for reply also. Ed.

Best way is to call a few schools and ask them

Will do. Thanks again everyone for replys.
Ed.

jaupt approved with a centre number, is that what you mean when you say check that it has periodic dcpc approval?

That indicates approval - but doesn’t tell you what courses are approved. Best to call them and find out.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I guess you read the same page as me…they could do with changing that wording as it does appear at first that you need to have worked as a HGV/C1 driver! You can find local approved centres and offered courses at jaupt.org.uk

hope that helps.

You can find local approved centres and offered courses at jaupt.org.uk

Absolutely correct - - but the course will have a title like “Safe and Efficient LGV driving”. It wont say “LGV CAT C Training”.

So a phone call to the training centre is the only way to be sure.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
Best plan for you …
Find a LGV school that has periodic DCPC approved for their practical LGV courses

Try and get 2 to 1 training because that will get you 7 hours dcpc per day so over a basic 5 day course that will be 28 hours out of the 35 done - test day cannot count

That leaves just 7 hours which perhaps a drivers hours and tacho 1 day course will be a good idea - that can be done now as you have LGV C1

I like the idea of 2 to 1 training with a school that has DCPC approved too, but I’m struggling to find one, so if anyone can recommend a school then please let me know. I’m based in Bedfordshire but willing to travel. I know Peter Smythe has the approval and does 1 to 1 so he is my preferred choice at the moment. Just wish DVLA would get a move on with my provisional so I can get started.

honk:

ROG:
Best plan for you …

I like the idea of 2 to 1 training with a school that has DCPC approved too, but I’m struggling to find one, so if anyone can recommend a school then please let me know. I’m based in Bedfordshire but willing to travel. I know Peter Smythe has the approval and does 1 to 1 so he is my preferred choice at the moment. Just wish DVLA would get a move on with my provisional so I can get started.

Peter Smythe might do 1 to 1 but he also includes the full dcpc